What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 down Telluride

Snowflake

Sidney, BC, Canada
Sponsor
Drat. Condolences to the families and friends involved. :(

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/11/vans-rv-4-fatal-accident-occurred.html

At approximately 1:30 pm, today, a single-engine aircraft was on approach to the Telluride Regional Airport.

The airport lost contact with the aircraft and several witnesses reported seeing the aircraft go down.

At about 2:30 pm, the crash site was located and both occupants of the aircraft were found to be deceased.

Members of the San Miguel Sheriff's Office, San Miguel Search and Rescue, Telluride Fire Department/EMS, and the San Miguel County Coroner are investigating the scene and working to recover the victims.

The FAA and NTSB have been notified and a response plan for those agencies is being formulated.

SAN MIGUEL COUNTY, Colorado (CBS4) – Two people were killed in a plane crash on Thursday afternoon near the Telluride Regional Airport. The single-engine Vans RV-4 airplane crashed about a half-mile east of the airport, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Investigators said the aircraft was preparing to land at the airport when it crashed.

The two people who died were the only occupants onboard. Their names have not been released.

Members of the San Miguel Sheriff’s Office, San Miguel Search and Rescue, Telluride Fire Department/EMS, and the San Miguel County Coroner are working to recover the victims.

The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the cause of the crash.

RV-4 N87LW down in Telluride

Good friend of mine killed on Thanksgiving Day.Such a tragedy. Lots of speculation but no clear cause at this point. Driving myself crazy trying to figure it out.
We both flew our 4’s into Telluride together back in July, at 9000 ft + elevation it’s not routine by any means. When I departed last July I only used 1000 ft of the 7000 ft runway with a DA of over 11,000 ft. These RV’s are amazing performers.

God Speed Brother.🙏

Good friend of mine killed on Thanksgiving Day.Such a tragedy. Lots of speculation but no clear cause at this point. Driving myself crazy trying to figure it out. ... God Speed Brother.🙏
Sincere condolences, David.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, David. My condolences to the friends and families of both pilot and passenger. Very sad.

Sad

Good friend of mine killed on Thanksgiving Day.Such a tragedy. Lots of speculation but no clear cause at this point. Driving myself crazy trying to figure it out.
We both flew our 4’s into Telluride together back in July, at 9000 ft + elevation it’s not routine by any means. When I departed last July I only used 1000 ft of the 7000 ft runway with a DA of over 11,000 ft. These RV’s are amazing performers.

God Speed Brother.��
David,
Thanks for sharing and sad to hear for you.
I too have flown my Four, 6X and HR2 into KTEX numerous times over 25 years, every time is different. Despite it's apparent simplicity it earns respect by definition,"The Highest elevation commercial airport in N. America". Only Leadville is higher.
Having been to way too many bros funerals in 40 years of professional/military flying, it never gets any easier. I'm sure the NTSB will have something soon we can hopefully learn from.

Prayers for their families.
Smokey

Last edited:
Back