Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:56 PM

Default Close call video

https://youtu.be/f4T0utYN1pY

Flying along today, fat, dumb, and happy, looking at balloons flying in the area. Was heading west at 4500 ft then decided to change directions to the north east, and initiated a climb to 5500 ft. Crossing about 5000 ft almost got smacked by someone coming in the other direction. Happens at about 25 seconds into the video. No doubt they could not see me due to the sun right in their eyes. I saw them, but just kind of "deer in the headlights" for a second or two, then instinctively turned a bit to the left, but they were not going to hit me in any case. Not sure if my lizard brain said "no threat, nothing to do" and then when I started processing how close we would pass, I just moved the stick left, or what. Felt pretty strange, and really going to push me to get some kind of traffic warning, add ADS-B and FLARM. This area is a "choke point" in the country, so there is a lot of traffic on the weekends. I usually try to fly during the week when it's quiet, but a combination of shorter days and more early and late meetings at work has made this difficult.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:35 PM

Hi Mickey
Nice to see you were able to fly today... being stuck in the fog just some 130NM NE of your field

Not sure about my eyes anymore, nor the 25ď frame encounter, which I canít visualize.

Nevertheless I have been using the Flarm system (European traffic information system, most of the sailplanes, choppers, and even paragliders are equipped with) for almost 10 years now, and yes, Iím a believer The device might have saved my bacon for at least 3 times by now...
Traffic on nice days is pretty hi inside the restricted airspace around here. Most pilots nowadays prefer to try to understand what their elec gizmos are doing, play airline or Star Wars pilot, head down, iso watching the surrounding airspace...

My own ship sports Powerflarm, ADSB in/out, + a pair of mark X eyeballs to hopefully scan the skies for any intruder.

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 10-31-2020, 03:52 PM

Default Fog

We were right on the edge of the fog - towards the north it was solid, but from about LSGY south it was pretty open.

I think the video will get clearer when it processes the higher resolution version.

To see frame by frame, go to about 30 seconds, touch pause. Then touch your . (period) key and it will move one frame forward. , (comma) key gives you one frame back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spooky Close Call - HB-YMM - 20201031.png
Views:	169
Size:	895.6 KB
ID:	4048
Old 10-31-2020, 04:58 PM

I bet that ADS-B won't catch everyone. I have that plus an old Xaon unit that reads transponders and it picks up more than ADS-B does out here. Still, it's worth having to warn those people who fly head's down in oblivious mode.

Dave
Old 10-31-2020, 05:16 PM

Default Close call video

ADS-B is worth every penny but still does not/should not be replaced by "see and avoid". Plenty of non-ADS-B airplanes out there without it, or with Mode S, or an electrical system even. I continue to be amazed as a former professional pilot all the traffic I didn't see when I was flying heavy's. Big sky, little airplane-not so much! I'm always extra spidey when I am flying aerobatics in my box. Nobody says they can't be there. Y'all be careful out there!
Building RV-4 #2593
Poplar Grove, IL (C77)
603-491-4175
ldjeffries@gmail.com
Old 10-31-2020, 05:19 PM

ADS-B has already become a crutch and a downfall for GA. I stay well outside of rule airspace. Yet, you'd think a lot of GA pilots I have to mix with getting in and out of my home drome don't even bother looking outside for aircraft that aren't on their computer screens.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:01 PM

Ever notice how EVERYONE flies at 500' +- altitudes... ?

Something to think about

Start 2/19 Emp complete 4/19 Wings complete 11/19 Fuse complete 6/20 Finish kit Complete 8/20 Electric/Avionics complete 9/20 Engine 2/21 truckin' on...
- Been there, Donated 2021
Old 10-31-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2eat View Post
ADS-B is worth every penny but still does not/should not be replaced by "see and avoid". Plenty of non-ADS-B airplanes out there without it, or with Mode S, or an electrical system even.
Agreed

I live in a very "anti-government" part of the country and I can't even describe to you how many times I have seen transponders turned off, kept off, and talked about at the breakfast table... I love ADSB but I certainly don't feel safe relying on it.
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 10-31-2020, 10:30 PM

Mickey,
I just loaded a FS: Zaon MRX Portable Collision Avoidance System (PCAS).
I have ADSB In/Out, and thought I didn't need it anymore. However reading some of the above comments make me think I should hold on to it.
Let me know if interested.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
So when I hear that people nowadays are turning off transponders and ADS-B equipment, it makes me angry.
I completely agree.
Exempt but gladly paying!