What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7/8 vs RV-14 Baffle Kit

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
Other than $505, what is the difference between the $290 baffle kit for the 200 HP IO-360 RV-7/8 setup vs the $795 baffle kit for the 200 HP IO-360 in the RV-14?

The RV-14 baffle kit is pre-punched and pre-sized (read: already trimmed to shape and ready to install) for the RV-14 cowl. It goes together pretty quickly. It doesn't fit the other models.

RV-7/8 installations have more variation. The metal baffle wall parts are oversized and need to be trimmed to size/shape, as do all of the seals, etc. Lots of VAF forum and kit log posts available walking through that process in detail.

That said, the assembly instructions section for the RV-14 baffles can be useful as a reference in illustrating how things generally fit, work and go together for other RV models:
https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/RV-14_47.pdf

The RV-14 baffle kit is pre-punched and pre-sized (read: already trimmed to shape and ready to install) for the RV-14 cowl. It goes together pretty quickly. It doesn't fit the other models.

Expanding on Greg's description.....
Fully prepunch, includes the baffle seals.
They are laser cut to final size with all holes... ready to rivet on.

I wish you didn't word the question the way that you did! After building a -7 (and replacing the entire baffle kit once after 1300 hours of flying), I'm building a -14 now and just finished the baffle kit. I guess I didn't realize the difference in cost for the baffle kit until you brought it up. :(

Back