What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dan Horton's article in Kitplanes

Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Brother VAFer Dan Horton has written an excellent article about the new Just Aircraft Superstol Stretch XL in the April issue of Kitplanes. Although the aircraft reviewed was not an RV, the quality of writing is outstanding (in the tradition of our other brother Paul Dye).

Of particular note is Dan's explanation of the engineering behind the Superstol's remarkable landing gear. Finally, an engineer who can relate complicated principals so that the STEM challenged can truly understand! It brought tears to my eyes.

Dan's piece is an entertaining and enjoyable read. We have all enjoyed Dan's literary style and wit here at VAF. Now the rest of the home building world can join in.

Thank you gentlemen.

Please pass your comments to the Editor in Chief. He writes the checks ;)

Kitplanes has been very good, well worth the subscription, but it seems as if lately they have managed to up their game.

DanH did an outstanding job capturing my interest in the "All Grown Up" article featured in the April 2017 issue of Kitplanes.

"Crashworthy Design Overview" by David Paule was also an excellent read.

Thanks,

Kitplanes has been very good, well worth the subscription, but it seems as if lately they have managed to up their game.

DanH did an outstanding job capturing my interest in the "All Grown Up" article featured in the April 2017 issue of Kitplanes.

"Crashworthy Design Overview" by David Paule was also an excellent read.

Thanks,

Agreed- I didn't use to be too into it, until the 30th anniversay of the RV6 article came out. Figured I had to buy that one.... Now Im hooked and cant wait for the new ones to come through the letter slot every month!

There's also an extremely high probability that he's monitoring this thread! Well done Dan!

The really cool thing about Kitplanes is that it is really written by the homebuilding community. We don't have any fulll time staff writers - everything is submitted by builders and pilots like the many who get together on VAF, as well as those interested in other types on other forums. That means we are only as good as the folks that write down what they are doing, or what they have done, and send it in!

Done anything or learned something that will help overs in the big homebuilding community? Write it up and send it in. We're always looking for new material.

Paul

Improving Quality

I did notice the step up in quality of the recent mag. Many here (VAF) challenge new ideas, but have a sound background in getting to the facts and providing definitive information that can be replicated and used with confidence. One could say it is engineers, but really it is a way of thinking. Many engineers are hammered into it, but many non-engineers are equally as good. Critical thinking is the basis. This latest article by DanH is rich with facts and data. It is a real pleasure to read and walk away having learned something that can stand the challenge of some hangar coffee discussions with other experts. Entertaining style too. It is always good to learn something with a touch of flair and humor. The latest issue seems to be this way throughout. I hope this dream team of participating writers does not discourage others from stepping up. It takes practice.

Kitplanes started it for me

Paul,
Not that it matters to anyone but me, a Kitplanes magazine article on the Starlight back in '86 sparked my interest in homebuilding. I subscribed while in college and an Ad by Vans for the RV-4 with +-6g and incredible speed range ratio as well as the "alll metal design" did it for me. I purchased a set of RV4 plans. The dawn patrol got me to start on a Neiport 11 then a 12. Neither did I finish but did add nice touches to basement walls decorations. I stoped my subscription years ago when I got knee deep in building the -9. Now that I'm done, I'm afraid that if I renew, I may start another project. Dan just about ruined me on the insulation stuff and the electronic ignition is driving me nuts. 😄
Seriously, many thinks to Kitplanes, it's staff and contributors like Dan. It's like a new adventure every day.

The really cool thing about Kitplanes is that it is really written by the homebuilding community. We don't have any fulll time staff writers - everything is submitted by builders and pilots like the many who get together on VAF, as well as those interested in other types on other forums. That means we are only as good as the folks that write down what they are doing, or what they have done, and send it in!

Done anything or learned something that will help overs in the big homebuilding community? Write it up and send it in. We're always looking for new material.

Paul

Back