What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

prospective builder question

Bill Boyd

Well Known Member
New basement workshop (and house!) going in the ground this month; occupancy hoped-for by 10/31/15.

As I finalize design work with the modular home people, I want to make sure I've got room to get an RV-10 out the door on gear, minus empennage. Info I've seen online suggests a 96" door width is adequate. I'm assuming that's with axle extensions not in place. Perhaps it's with the gear pulled inward with a ratchet strap to counteract "squat." I want to make sure it's do-able.

If I need to, I can forego the 3084 or 2684 walk-through door beside it and go for a 9' wide garage door out of the basement instead of the 8'x8' we are now discussing with the precast wall engineers.

Am I GTG, here?

-Stormy

The axles/gear are one piece, not bolt ons.

You could easily make a cradle that attaches to the carry through spar to roll the fuse around, no need for installing the main gear until out of the door.

Show Planes had a really nice one that picked up the step socket, and carry through spar when I visited them---------- height adjusts for whatever portion you are working on, really cool feature.

projects-rv10-2007-09-27-3l.jpg

Here is Bill Curtis's cradle http://nerv10.com/wcurtis/fusestand/index.html

Last edited:
Agree with Bill. You will want to have short legs bolted to the fuselage wing spar arms anyway to do all the cabin top work anyway. Leave them on to get the fuselage out the door - put the gear on after that.

Carl

okay...

I guess I was thinking of needing to leave off the wheel pant attach hardware that extends beyond the gear axles themselves.

Those little wheels on the dolly depicted above aren't going to work well on my gravel driveway. Will need a paving job if that's how we're going to do it :eek:

Will fit out of a 6' french doors without the landing gear installed.

Will fit in/out of a 8' garage door with wheelpant brackets installed if you take it out diagonally with dollies under the wheels, at an angle so one comes out at a time.

4Fazugv4w4_mTkAZGYAB7X624lUNzIR7dEEx5JQQ6xIm=w1274-h955-no

hPodQpEBwFErv6dEEUmvxOnSuaMr8N5ojFZH_YG94wfs=w533-h400-no

Back