What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools ?

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
I was wondering how many different wrenches it would take to build the RV-10. Would it be a good investment to go to Sears and buy a complete set of American & Metric ratchet wrenches? Thanks in advance!

I was wondering how many different wrenches it would take to build the RV-10. Would it be a good investment to go to Sears and buy a complete set of American & Metric ratchet wrenches? Thanks in advance!

You could probably build an RV with one set of each. Sears has tremendous sales of wrench and socket sets just before Christmas and it's MUCH cheaper to buy complete sets than individual tools. Go for it!

I have a complete set of metric and standard sockets (1/4 and 3/8 drive), a set of metric wrenches and two sets of standard wrenches as well as a set of shorty standard wrenches and a set of standard ratcheting wrenches. I built a tool cart to have them all available wherever I am working. Having the right tool for the job at hand is essential.

I used to spend hours looking for misplaced tools. No more!

Smokey is right on......

Also you will find that you'll need to modify some tools along the way.

I've got wrenches that I've had to grind them down a bit to fit into a small space that they won't fit into otherwise. You would be surprised at how profiles vary between brands. The cheap tools tend to have more mass and are a little more bulky, like harbor freight.

I've got a ratcheting wrench that is now a 1" stubby due to space constraints.

I will admit, I usually go for the harbor freight tool to grind and not my craftsman wrenches.

Jeff, this is a really good question. For new builders and lurkers reading these forums, we see lots of questions being answered about builder's tool kits and which ones are the the best value etc. To craft one of Vans kits you will most likely require a complete set of mechanical tools as well. Thankfully, SAE (imperial) tools are all that's required in my opinion. You would not be deemed extravagant if you went down to Sears and purchased the complete 101 piece tool set. If this included the offset wrenches, crowfoot wrenches, deep and regular socket sets and a set of nut drivers, that would come in handy as well. I own two 3/8" nut drivers because they're too handy. Speaking of two's, the most used tools are handy to have spares. So, two cleako pliers, two flush cutting diagonal pliers that Stein sells for flush cutting plastic ties, two Hemostats (one straight - one curved). Ron's got a good idea having your tools in a cart. I store my tools in two mechanics rolling chests. One for wrenches, drivers, screw drivers and all things electrical. The other for drills, drill bits - drill bits take up one drawer by themselves from 4" to 12", rivet guns, rivet sets, sharpies and rulers.
Regards

Last edited:
I don't recall using any metric wrenches building my -10. Well,,,,there was an instruction in the plans somewhere to use a "Metric Crescent Wrench" on a nut. ;)

I don't recall using any metric wrenches building my -10. Well,,,,there was an instruction in the plans somewhere to use a "Metric Crescent Wrench" on a nut. ;)

Very funny!

Odyssey batteries use a 10 mm nut. Many Japanese based alternators use metric fittings. If you buy power tools from an importer like Harbor Freight you will find metric hardware on them. I absolutely hate crescent wrenches as they are the cause of rounded nuts and bolts throughout the land.

However the metric crescent does have it's uses if you don't happen to have a metric wrench around when you need it. :D

Just make sure you have a few 3/8" wrenches and sockets. I'd say 90% of the fasteners in the plane have a 3/8" head. I have about 6 of these wrenches so one is always within reach!

You will nees a SMALL inch-pound torque wrench early on. A good one will be over $100.

You will not stop buying tools, even after you start flying.

When you catch yourself saying, "I don't have the correct tool but I can make so-and-so work," stop right there and order, buy, borrow, etc. the correct tool! If you don't, you WILL mess up the part you spent two days making. This will force you to buy a replacement part and the correct tool.

Don't confuse the 3/8" references in the above to the DRIVE size of the ratchet. Get the 1/4" drive ratchet set. You don't need a 3/8" and they're too big and clunky for the tight spaces on our planes.

you mean.....TOOOOOOOOOLSSSSSS right?

I don't understand the question. I have a complete set of tools in my shop suitable to launch several space shuttles. Plus duplicates because I have my Dad's stuff now.
then there's the set I carry around in my truck, just enough to ensure I get only 12 mpg, and can do a complete overhaul on the side of the road.
Then there's the bins of AIRplane tools that I carry to and from the airport, and out to the tie-down every time I need to adjust a grapple grommet or whatever.
( you guys that have hangars will have several sets there too!)
Then there's the set of tools that stay IN the plane, so that you can do minor maintenance away from home.

Now, I am not a builder, so you might need a couple things to build I suppose.:D

oh, and usually, wherever I am, I don't have the actual tool I need!

...time to go to Canadian Tire, I hear they have a sale on xxxxxx!!!!

P.S. actually find the wratcheting box end crescents really handy...as long as they are the slim ones.

Metric?

Not required, but I heard that a 9mm box wrench will work on 8-32 nuts when the 11/32 wrench can't be found....

a stubby flex-head ratchet is pretty handy.

==dave==

This is not my official announcement but I am in the process of acquiring a RV-10. When I get the final bill of sale, I'll make my official announcement. Having said all of that, I have a lot of sockets and tools at home. I also just bought the RV tool set from Isham but what I'm wanting to know is whether I will need the set of ratchet wrenches and if so American or metric?

I'm going to be getting my garage ready for delivery. Keep the responses coming.

There are virtually no metric parts in the Vans kit, nor on a Lycoming engine.
I built my -10 with a 1/4" drive socket set and regular wrenches (I now own some of the ratcheting wrenches and they are nice but not necessary).

Just make sure you have a few 3/8" wrenches and sockets. I'd say 90% of the fasteners in the plane have a 3/8" head. I have about 6 of these wrenches so one is always within reach!

Make it a 3/8 and 7/16 combo and you probably have 90% of the airframe bolts/nuts covered.

Buy just this one size in ratcheting for easy on/off -

spin_prod_206354001

Not required, but I heard that a 9mm box wrench will work on 8-32 nuts when the 11/32 wrench can't be found....

a stubby flex-head ratchet is pretty handy.

==dave==

Yes... if you buy a ratchet set, make sure it includes an 11/32 socket.

A lot of sets skip this size.

Smoky, I would love to have some close up photos of your tool cart! I have a rolling tool box and the tools are not well organized and I have a hard time keeping track of them. I always fear leaving something in the plane that may cause an issue later in flight and it looks like your system solves all my problems. Please please please?

... every time I need to adjust a grapple grommet or whatever.

:D Now there is successful television marketing at its best. That TV commercial hasn't been on for at least 25 years. :eek:

Can you use the same wrench on a Filbert Flange?

For some crazy reason I think the only metric nuts in the plane are on Plane Power B wire and Skytech starter power lugs.

Agree with the others - the only metric I use is a 10mm for battery and alternator connections. Everything else is metric. That said, I bought a full set of SAE combo wrenches PLUS a full set of the ratcheting combo from Craftsman; there are plenty of places where you will need the same size wrench on both sides of a fastener. Most used is 3/8" and 7/16" but I've used all the others for various fittings, such as the fuel fittings. I also splurged and got the mechanic's tool kit with 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives. Mostly I use the 1/4" on the structure but the others are very useful around the engine. I also got all the extensions and wobble adapters I could lay my hands on; there are some hard-to-reach spots, especially in the engine compartment. I also bought a couple of special size combo wrenches as the need arose. And I keep an eye out at garage sales for spares that get modified for special needs, such as shortened for limited throw areas or made into crows-feet.

While you're at it, get screw-drivers. I got a precision set for avionics, and a variety for other uses. A ratchet driver is also handy. Make sure no tool used around avionics is magnetized, so that means spending extra for a ratchet driver with a detent to hold the driver heads rather than the magnetized kind. This all sounds like a lot, but is really not that expensive. Especially compared to compressor and air tools...

Smoky, I would love to have some close up photos of your tool cart! I have a rolling tool box and the tools are not well organized and I have a hard time keeping track of them. I always fear leaving something in the plane that may cause an issue later in flight and it looks like your system solves all my problems. Please please please?

Smoky,
I would also like close ups and use that to build something similar to yours. It looks well organised and thought out and a big space saver.
Thanks.
Johan

Cottage industry

There's no doubt Ron and Kathy should manufacture these tool carts in their home and sell them... supplemental income for Smokey's retirement from the Air Show circuit :)

Heck, I'd buy two.

Thanks for the close-up pics, Smokey. Definitely my next project after the -6 glass panel is done.

Smoky,
I would also like close ups and use that to build something similar to yours. It looks well organised and thought out and a big space saver.
Thanks.
Johan

Here's a few more pictures. My advice: Let your imagination run wild and build your tool cart to fit YOUR tools and YOUR cart. The red cart is used for parts as they come off the airplane. It comes from Harbor Freight and would make a pretty good tool cart as well. Pictures provided for inspiration only.

Back to the original question, here's another wrench you might need:

zv2yc4.jpg

Used on the nose wheel and main axle nuts...

==dave==

Here's a few more pictures. My advice: Let your imagination run wild and build your tool cart to fit YOUR tools and YOUR cart. The red cart is used for parts as they come off the airplane. It comes from Harbor Freight and would make a pretty good tool cart as well. Pictures provided for inspiration onlyL]
Awe you're one of those guys who puts away and organizes his tools? That's just sick.:eek:

Back