What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page one, step one

60av8tor

Well Known Member
So, what to do when you live in the SE and don't have to go to work because of the crazy weather? Start your build of course... I had to get a pic of the very first part of my plane. My only hope is that years from now when I actually have a plane in front of me, I'll look back with fond memories - good times outweighing the bad during this adventure. Now, to repeat tonight about 900 more times:D

91bc46873ffaaa1386bca5f0b7a357ab.jpg

Welcome to the madness..

My advice to you is to stock your shop fridge, prepare yourself for the hard road ahead and hunker down! :)

Keep at it!

Building is a great journey indeed.
I enjoyed it so much I built 2 of them. ( so far)
Keep at it and do a little something every day and before you know it you'll have an airplane in the garage ready for an engine and avionics.
Lots of help here when you need it.
Good luck with your build.

So, what to do when you live in the SE and don't have to go to work because of the crazy weather?

My first thought is move to the SW, where it is warm and you can build in short sleeves. Right now I am in Michigan and detesting the weather. If it wasn't for my 10 project, the cold would seriously freeze my aviation pursuits.

Dennis,

This weather really is getting us down. We just exceeded our annual average snow fall (86") here in west Michigan and it's still January! 3 more months to look forward to.

I really miss building especially on these cold Michigan nights. The shop is cold and empty. Wife said I can't build another RV because the last one took 6 years and she felt like we became strangers during that time. Called herself an airplane widow! Me out with my aluminum mistress!

Anyway, I envy those of you who are building. I've been done for about a year now and am suffering from withdraw. It's terrible, I find myself starring into space, wondering around like a lost puppy, visiting the now empty work shop, touching my tools, well you get the picture. Man do I need a project! I wonder if she'll let me build a boat?

60av8tor, enjoy your build. As fun as flying is, building is really special!

Congtrats on starting your RV-10 build! You are fortunate in that there is a great group of RV-10 builders and flyers in GA. Plenty of support if you need it.

bob

The pics rock !

You will look back on all the pics and smile some day and reflect upon your trials and tributes..I took wayyy more than I needed, many of which contained family and friends...my build took 15 years, so my hair turned grey, my kids grew up, my wife dissapeared, I moved 3 times, bla bla bla...but its my favorite photo album, especially January 10, 2011..building stopped and flying started ! I always miss the building/tinkering, so now I am doing a full restoration of a 1941 Aeronca Defender "barn find"...So here comes the new photo album !

Looks like I'm just a step or two ahead of you, I started my build on Tuesday. Beware fitting the skin on the Vertical Stab. Even with all of the advice on here I managed to get one small "outie" from one of the nose ribs. It's barely noticeable but I can feel it when I run my finger across it. Oh well, I least I know that I am in good company. Good luck with your build.

Dave

Thanks for the info, Dave. I've read about many of the gotchas and even still, I'm sure I will make my share mistakes. I just hope they are not too numerous, or too significant. Only time will tell:eek:

I learnt a lot from building the VS spar. I had done the 2 practice kits but still made a hash of it - twice! At least the parts were cheap to replace so I just took the attitude that they were extra practice kits.

Best advice I can offer is "take care". If things don't seem to be going right - STOP! Get a cup of coffee, think about it and then come back to it. Or if it's late, call it a day, have a beer and come back tomorrow :D

Time to bag up the microfiber cloths in gallon ziplocks. Airborne aluminum oxide particles won't be good for your motorcycle windshield or paint. 25 hours/week and we were done with our SB in exactly two years. Not recommended while working and raising children, but we are coming up on 25 yrs. We really enjoy our 26 month old -10. Have fun.

Paul - great advice; been there before with other projects. Slowly feeling things going south, knowing I should take a break, but keep plodding - generally never ends well:eek:

Wayne - thanks for the heads up on the microfiber; forgot about them up there. You're right, I'm already seeing how the dust is going to be everywhere. Wow - 2 year, SB! With no children, I will be able to devote some considerable time, but as a first time builder, I don't have any timeline expectations.

I am eating the elephant one bite at a time. In the process I am beginning to recognize an RV. Each page of the plans is another baby step.

Back