What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Fairings... so what am I missing

jtrollin

Well Known Member
I do not understand how the wheel fairings mount to the belly of the plane, there is no way I can put nut plates there as the floor is already installed. The plans dont really say very well what to do that I can see. So what is the secret here?

thanks,

Fairings on belly

One solution is to put nutplates on the exterior skin. Use stainless pop rivets to anchor the nutplates.

Keyed Rivnuts will also work.
+1 Yes they do. Rivnuts are a good solution when you have limited access to install acual nutplates. A drop of JB Weld can help the Rivnuts from loosening and spinning too... even keyed Rivnuts. Just be careful not to get any JB Weld inside the threads but a tap can always be used to clear the threads.

Last edited:
We used small self tappers. Drill a pilot hole and then screw them in. They have never come loose and unlike the wheel pant screws in nut plates that get scattered all over the countryside, they stay put.

YMMV

The plans call for three #6X1/2" SS sheet metal screws plus a AN509-8R8 that corresponds to an existing hole for the bottom wing root faring that gets overlapped by the upper intersection faring. See figure 1 on page 48-12.

The plans call for three #6X1/2" SS sheet metal screws plus a AN509-8R8 that corresponds to an existing hole for the bottom wing root faring that gets overlapped by the upper intersection faring. See figure 1 on page 48-12.

If my memory serves me correct, I have a couple nutplates and the rest are sheet metal screw like the plan specified. I'll see how the sheet metal screws work before I install rivnuts. Mine have been in for almost two years without an issue.

Thats them??they work fine!

Back