What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your Rocket!

Not pretty, haven't settled on a paint job yet, but it sure felt nice to fly. First flight August 21, 2013.
Finished my tail wheel training about 5pm on the 20th, arrived home and the CofA was in the mailbox.
Woke up this morning, severe clear, no wind... what was I to do but strap it on and go fly.

Full Nomex flight suit including gloves plus leather boots and a helmet was worn... but not required!

A few snags, easy to fix.

Woo, Hoo!

20130821_0465.JPG

**update: Yes those are oversize 380-150-5 tires squeezed into the wheel pants with heavy-duty Grove dual-piston brakes.
Not exactly tundra tires, but it will get me into the local grass strip with "cheap" fuel.**

+ 1 year later, the big reveal of 'Voltar'...

voltar.jpg

Wow, that looks very sharp Vern. Where did you have it painted?

Just got mine out of the paint shop yesterday, Upper Valley Aviation in Chilliwack.

Nice paint Vern! Hope to see you up here for show and tell.
You mentioned a grass strip with cheap fuel. Care to share?

Nice paint scheme and job Vern. Saw you taxi by the other day. My question for you is how much gas does it burn sitting on the ramp or in your hanger?

Nice paint scheme and job Vern. Saw you taxi by the other day. My question for you is how much gas does it burn sitting on the ramp or in your hanger?

Are you trying to tell me to fly more? I'm busy with a fund-raising round with an aerospace start-up. Go figure... Working in aerospace means flying less. Should have stuck to real estate.

For those interested in Voltar, Google " league of super evil".

And here's the panel design:
Panel-Final-RevB.jpg

Last edited:
Vern,

Very nice paint! I saw it in Langley at the fly-in. Thought it looked pretty nice then but now, just wow.

Bevan

Hey Vern,
If I paint my 9A like yours, will it look as cool and as fast? Ha!
Very nice. You built a Beautiful Plane.

Looking good, Vern! Although Delta isn't the cheapest for gas anymore... Sechelt and Courtenay now take that title...

No on the flying more Vern. That paint job makes the plane look so fast it must be burning gas just sitting on the ramp.

#160 Still Looking Pretty Good

Just happened to have a new picture of my Rocket taken by a friend. You gotta love the silhouette of F-1's.

IMG_8639-XL.jpg

Lee...

Last edited:
Thanks guys... It never ceases to amaze me. Just landed in it in fact, rough as heck, bottom dropped out a couple of times...a touch of power and she just jumps right back. Wonderful airplane.

Lee...

Metallic Canopy Strip

Just happened to have a new picture of my Rocket taken by a friend. You gotta love the silhouette of F-1's.

IMG_8639-XL.jpg

Lee...

Do you have any close up photos or detail of your canopy bow strip? Especially down low where it joins the longeron?

Thanks in Advance

More accurately , the top bow strip where it joins down low.

Last edited:
I don't think so, but I'll take a look. The front piece was modeled up in cardboard, then mylar, and then bent/twisted/welded out of three pieces of thin aluminum (it's a more complex shape than it looks). I put 4-5 clips spaced about 3-4 inches apart along the leading edge of the canopy after I pro-sealed it in place. Dimpled the two aluminum strips (the one over the canopy bow is separate from the the one that wraps around the front) and then threaded the canopy bow. Used small stainless screws to hold it down. I think I used nut plates under the front bow, but honestly, I can't remember.

I'll see if I can find some pix...

Lee...

F1 Rocket construction material waiver?

AircraftWraps is openly asking for a construction material building waiver!

We currently own what I consider to be a plastic F1 Rocket! One of our requirements was that the plane look like Marks F1 :D

I will not post any non-RV/Rocket photos till I hear back... but this plane will spend a LARGE amount of time in formation with it's Metal Mafia brothers.

Feel free to tell us to take our plastic Rocket somewhere else :(

Last edited:
We shall see!

Good morning Mr Farnsworth!

Of course we can slow down a bit to let you fly with us!:D Any and all formation practice is welcome.

Your new machine is a wonderful thing, for sure. Kevin's descriptions of how it can be maneuvered are right up there with other unbelievable things I've heard, but in this case I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth. Heck, the V fin on that plane is as thick as our wing root is!

As for 'paint jobs', you would be the one to claim there is no limit - and you would be correct.

I gotta have a ride in it for sure.

Carry on!
Mark

Mark,

"Paint Jobs"??? What is this term :rolleyes: Is that something they did in the 50s? :b

We call them "color schemes" to be wrapped:D

PS I already printed "RV PARKING/CAMPING" on my Sun n Fun and Oshkosh arrival sheets to show the ground controllers. Now my printer ran out of ink! You know the price of printer ink!?:eek: I'm pretty much committed now:D

I still have the RV8, I just dont want to lose the great brotherhood this community shares when I "have" to fly plastic.

BTW, your art is being produced this week

Last edited:
So THAT's what it is called

"Color Scheme" - got it. I am working on my next ship - maybe I ought to get you to do it up, tho the scheme I have picked is pretty simple.

Thanks for doing up my new nose art - you gonna drop in and help me make a mockery of the install? I can probably do that myself...:eek:

If you recall, I AM a lot of help with installing the graphics..:rolleyes:

Carry on!
Mark

Guys flying the sport wing:

Can you describe the short field performance, primarily landing, over a 50ft obstacle..
PS..I have already talked to Smokey, as we have similar grass fields, just gathering additional information.. speeds/power/techniques

interested in both solo at around 1700ish with fwd CG, and dual near MGW..

I live on a grass field with trees at both ends.. 2000 ft cutout, 1400ft runway 600ft elev. so every landing in every plane is a chop and drop to a 300ft displaced threshold. I have not had an RV type aircraft in there yet.. any takers? II28 indiana?

data point: A stock 172 gets in fine, and out with a soft/short 10 deg flap for t/o, and 30deg for landing.. a 150 will just barely and I mean barely get out (been done once :)

I took my first rocket ride recently.. its the only plane I have ever flown that gives me the feeling of sitting in the F-16 again.

thank you rocket drivers... dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, I'm closing in on 200 hours on my Rocket now, so until someone comes along to elaborate or correct me I'll say that the standard wing is very forgiving up to and past the critical AOA. Combine this with the Rocket's ridiculous power to weight and you have an airplane that you can drag around by the prop, controlling descent rate with only the throttle. This is not a "chop and drop" however, because you will need a well timed burst of power at the round out. In short, the Rocket is almost immune from getting behind the power curve- if the wing is still flying, then you will almost certainly have enough excess thrust to climb/accelerate.

Having said all that, if a 172 can get in and out of your strip, then a Rocket should have zero issues.

Thank you Michael, good info.. I did notice that it was easy to control the decent rate with the big speed brake in front.. I don't have a lot of CSProp time, so will see that more and more as I pick up time in CS birds..

I would think that the landing roll is shortened with the CS prop in idle as well once on the ground vs. a FP prop RV type.. but I don't have a lot of comparisons to relate to..

What approach speed range do you use for shorter ops?

Last edited:
While a CS prop does make an effective speed brake, thats not what I'm describing here. In this case, the "speed brake" is the wing set to very near the critical AOA. As we all know, the drag curve is nearly vertical here, and lift has just about tapped out, so you're flying as much on the prop as the wing. In a lower powered airplane, you can fall off the back side of the power curve and full throttle will not overcome the high drag of the wing... You will continue to settle at full power and more back stick only makes it worse. The Rocket is tough to get in that situation because of excess power and a benign wing however, so you really can drag it in at nearly the critical AoA and adjust throttle to suit the required glide slope. The main danger is engine failure however, because the instant that big wind generator on the nose quits blowing air over the wing and flaps, you're done.

There is a significant difference in stall speed between idle and just a touch of power with a prop that big.

The bottom line is that you can fly an approach at a slower airspeed carying a bunch of power than you can at idle in a staight gliding approach.

Thank you, I understand..

Most of my 30 yrs of flight time is in Jets but I do understand the hanging prop high alpha you are describing..just haven't done it much in props, but have done a lot of High Alpha in Jets :) I have no doubt I can learn to fly the aircraft or a similar aircraft properly though.. there is such good knowledge out there from guys like you..helps a lot.. I have flown a few planes with nothing but the manual and a couple days of studying.. always a good challenge..

I don't know what aircraft exactly I will end up with, but I just started flying a buddy's rocket a little, and when I can getting time in rV-8, Aeronca Sedan, PT-17 Stearman, C-172, and a AA-1 Yankee these days. Getting those lazy feet going again.. :) I just really was impressed with the rocket the most.

I just have an overarching healthy respect for the short field landing...I will practice at a larger field until I feel ready, just like I did with the C172 and Sedan

Also part of that self training will be stalls and falls at altitude of course..

Thank you for answering my questions Michael.. I really appreciate it.. dave

Goose: I have the same situation as you; except F-18's. Take a look at a Navy-style approach (practice on a hard surface first) using an "attitude" approach. If you have an AOA system, you're home free. Fly the approach at a stabilized, but low, speed and control descent rate/glide slope with power. A touch of power will be necessary just before touchdown to break the descent rate. Will put you on the ground in a 3-point attitude. With practice, you'll be able to come down fairly steeply and touch down very close to the same point time after time. Basically a "softened" carrier approach and none of that "dive and hope it finally slows down stuff". In the alternative, you can slip the heck out if it too, if you'd prefer---that will accomplish a similar approach. To be fair though, if you watch some of the youtube videos of Alaskan bush pilot spot landing competitions, you'll see the former technique, not the latter.

I'm sure you know all of this already, but try this sometime: In cruise at altitude on autopilot, turn off altitude hold and pull the throttle back 2". You airspeed will not change but the airplane will start down. Your descent rate will stabilize at 300-500 feet per minute. This is similar to what you would do on final, but much slower (maybe very close to the backside of the power curve). It will of course take more and more power as you get slower during a full flap approach.

One other point (I have a sport wing also). My Rocket seems to like to land with full flaps, no matter what---crosswinds be damned. It is very "busy" with the flaps up on a crosswind, so I've pretty much given up on no-flap landings. I'm more likely to have to go around on a no-flap than otherwise, particularly since it just doesn't want to slow down. Probably some poor pilot technique involved there too, but whatever, that's what I'm seeing.

Lee...

I am that little dark cloud in the back of your mind. My grass runway started out 2000' long and is now 2400' Both approaches are clear but there are woodlots close and those trees can be a real problem in gusty conditions. A beautiful stable approach can go **** in a hurry when you go below the trees and loose the wind. I used to have a corn stalk hanging on my hangar wall to remind of the time that the wind failed me and I ended up with this reminder wrapped around my tail wheel....
When we speak about rockets we really need to talk about two airplanes. One is the benign, solo, half fuel airplane, which is an absolute joy to fly. That plane can likely do what you want it to do but please treat every landing on your short strip as a go around that sometimes turns into a landing.
The other rocket is the one that is fully loaded with light fuel, gusty winds, and you are tired. This is not the airplane that I would attempt to land at the field you have described. If you have a close alternate airport to your strip all will be well.
I have watched airforce trained pilots fly these airplanes and I am in awe of their precision and how they can consistently fly the same stable approach. For me after 18 years and 1800 rocket hours every landing still seems to be an adventure!

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! great info.. Yes, I have an alternate field 8 miles and a car taxi ride away from my house.. (AOA installed in buddy's rocket :)

Tom, roger that!! LOL, Us ex military guys get chastised and brow beaten from day one of training to control the AOA and airspeed. not only on final, but during dogfights, and maneuvering, and especially the final turn.. we learned it so we could pass and not screw up too bad :). Landing mishaps account for the largest number of military fatalities.

Lee.. roger that, "-2"

Last edited:
Dave-

Couple of additional thoughts, but first I'd like to echo Tom's caution concerning the different moods the airplane has. Two days ago I landed after a 6.8 hour day with min fuel and full of bags/people to a nasty, gusty crosswind on my narrow little runway - it was indeed "sporty".

Now that its clear you are jet driver, I'd also like to foot stomp something I said earlier. If you come off the perch on downwind at a constant AoA and airspeed (also assuming you are maxing out the wing), a slight power change will make a huge difference in your stall margin. If you come off the perch at idle, for example and max out the wing in the turn, you might see a stall at, say, 70 knots. Adding a touch of power to 1500 (lets say) will drop your stall speed to 65. Conversely if you come off the perch and carry 1500 rpm through the turn (also maxing out the wing) and reduce power for some reason, you will likely stall abruptly. I only bring this up because jet guys are "all wing"... A propeller aircraft has a big fan on the front which will significantly influence the flow over the wing and flaps. If you know this, my apologies - but it has been my experience that some military guys overlook things like this.

The other thing that low speed, max effort landings in a Rocket will bring is a stabilizer stall. When solo, most Rockets are very nose heavy and an approach to landing will require full nose up trim and some healthy aft stick just to maintain speed. Most of the time you still have enough aft stick to effect a flare, but sometimes the stab will stall and the nose will bunt over at the worst possible time. I've heard of this most often on the "small tail" Rockets, but mine has the RV-8 tail and it's done it to me a couple of times. I'ts not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind.

Michael. You nailed my worry dead on in your last post.
Yes. We have been discussing this lately. Going to visit Jim Wining next week for a social visit to discuss flying the rocket.

Decided to define min speed as full flap power wing power idle speed plus 5 kts so some stalls and falls will be in order with different weights and cb. I was definitely worried about running out of elevator solo.

In the mean time I'm also going to get a little rv7 time with an instructor and sit down and write down my own training program. The process is just beginning for me. I won't be doing short field work for quite awhile until the comfort level is up. I will take a disciplined approach as I was trained to do :)

Thank you rocket drivers :). Keep ya posted as the journey begins. I'm actually excited about flying GA again and appreciate my friends letting me fly their aircraft.

Dave - I dont mean to alarm you or anyone else concerning the stab stall... The only time I've experienced it is right before the wheels touch, with the prop at idle. It usually happens when you're already too slow and looking for that one last tickle of back stick to grease it on. Also, following the dirt bike credo helps: When in doubt, gas it! There are few problems that can't be overcome with judicious use of throttle in a Rocket.

Relax Bill,
For some posting pics is easy, but some of us are challenged a bit when it comes to posting pic's.
This is my rocket a Harmon II I finished in Nov 2012. I am very happy with the performance and enjoy every minute of stick time I can get. I would say the above statements are true. She is a great flying machine, easy to fly but unforgiving of laziness on landing and roll out in the conditions described above. Nothing to fear but something to be aware of.
I dont have any current pictures of the interior but it is all leather and the panel is an Advanced flight systems 5400 and 3500 with a garmin 430 driving it all. John designed a fantastic machine.
Ryan
IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/29kz3pt.jpg[/IMG]
mhucci.jpg

14999498194_5af67f06ca_b.jpg

Somebody with a really nice camera caught us landing at Copperstate last year and was nice enough to put it out on the web.

...Thanks Google!

Last edited:
I guess I have never put any pics of the finished product on here (of course its never really "finished"). Here it is at 70 hours.

Photo.jpg

Photo%202.jpg

Panel.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, another Rocket in Canada! You are hereby invited to the coast... Langley fly-in in June, or anytime you want.

Race yah.

p.s. This looks like a Harmon with an EVO wing, registered as an F1.

Last edited:
Wow, another Rocket in Canada! You are hereby invited to the coast... Langley fly-in in June, or anytime you want.

Thanks for the invite, just might show up!

This is pure F1 EVO with a custom tip-over canopy (still have the slider canopy/parts and speed slope windshield in the shop). Reason is I bought the salvage from an F1 EVO that had an off-airport landing. It had this canopy on it. I was flying an RV-4 at the time and I love the unobstructed view and the easy access of the tip over. Plus using it saved me a bunch of time during the build.

Race yah.

Jeez! Do you have to be a canook to get an invite? What about us poor southerners? ;)
Ryan

and with new paint!!

20150825_163844_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks Mike S for the photo tutelage!

And a special Thanks to all those that helped me make this endeavor an airplane!!
greg

Last edited:
Greg,
The plane looks great! I like your colour choices and layout, good stuff. It really looks clean. Take the time to mount your flap and aileron brackets. They are good for 3 or 4 knots.

Thanks Tom!!

Thanks so much for the kind words, they mean a lot coming from you!! Did you use the stock ones or fab some up yourself, Mark mentioned making some thinner ones....
Thanks Again!!

Back