What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2x 10" Skyviews in stock 7A Tip-up panel

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Gang,
I am trying to convince myself that there is JUST enough room on the stock RV-7A tipup panel to install two 10" Skyview screens and have just enough room for the screens' required 1-inch edge clearances. I'm holding this baby up to the light from every angle, and I think I can do it. Of course, it would require repositioning the ribs between the panel and sub-panel. I want to avoid outsourcing the panel or buying aftermarket/custom panels.

Can anybody confirm my thoughts? Through practice?

Happy New Year to all...

Overkill

Hi Col.

First thanks for the service to our great country.

I would highly recommend that you find a 7 or 9 that has a big screen in it and see how it looks. My neighbor has one big screen (AFS) in his 7. To me it feels like I'm in about the 3rd row at the theater. Two would be overload. This is a relatively small panel.

As someone told me, just because it is available and will fit, doesn't make it the most practical. I really agree.

Another neighbor put in two 8.4" AFS screens in his 7. They are the perfect compromise between size, space and functionality.

Just my opinion.

Two 10" Skyviews

This panel is designed using the XP Panel program with a 7A slider template. I don't know how the tip-up would affect your design. Stein is putting this one together now.

SteinDesignNumber5_Full-1.jpg

Hurry up and finish already

Scroll,

Are you letting your job get in the way of finishing that plane or what? It's great seeing my old(er) F4 buds working on RV's. Do you still keep up with Vac? Anyways, Good to see ya still crunching away.

Mogli

Thanks...

...I'm convinced it can be done. CZ, I looked at John Stark's work on your panel...precisely what I'm looking for...Clean and neat.

RV7Guy,
Thanks for the kind words. It's our privilege to serve.

Mogli,
Hey, Brother, great to hear from you. Yes, the job can get in the way, but if I can just touch the airplane at least once every day I'm here...well, it'll get built. Haven't seen Vac in a while.

Happy New Year to all!

Gang,
I am trying to convince myself that there is JUST enough room on the stock RV-7A tipup panel to install two 10" Skyview screens and have just enough room for the screens' required 1-inch edge clearances. I'm holding this baby up to the light from every angle, and I think I can do it. Of course, it would require repositioning the ribs between the panel and sub-panel. I want to avoid outsourcing the panel or buying aftermarket/custom panels.

Can anybody confirm my thoughts? Through practice?

Happy New Year to all...

It'll fit, we've done a pile of them. You may have to be carefull about which switches you use (or go with a VP-X to get rid of CB's), but it can/has been done. We're starting one now with Dual 10" and a full Garmin stack with a GTN750 in it! Anyway, you'll have a tight squeeze, but it is possible. FYI, a custom cut/sized panel isn't a big deal either...

Cheers,
Stein

"It's a lot of screen for the panel"

Yep, and that's what I want. Look's awesome, Jonathan, and I'm a huge fan of the RockRacks! OK, the great ideas keep coming.

My panel will look far simpler than yours, but will be deceptively capable. My mission: day/night VFR crosscountry plus sport flying.
My panel's main items (so far):
- 2x 10" Skyview, with integrated transponder, dual AHRS, engine monitoring, plus integrated comm/nav (when offered)
- PS Engineering PAR100EX AUDIO/RADIO (which will become radio 1 of 2 once Dynon fields the SkyView radio)
- compass, elt, hobbs, LED strip lights...the usual doo-dads
- leaning HEAVILY toward Aveo RockRacks...I love how you integrated yours.
- VP-X, so no breakers/fuses

A work in progress...

Modified panel supports

I have seen the front of the panels where the larger screens are mounted through the area where the stock panel support screws are originally intended to be located, at the aft end of the F-745-R & L supports, but nothing behind the panel. Does anyone have any pics of the modifications to/replacement of the F-745's to support the panel at other than the stock locations?

Oops!

Oops. Thanks, Bret, I forgot to say tip-up. Has anyone modified the supports in a tip-up to allow screens where the stock panel supports are now? Now meaning when I bought my fuse kit 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Sam,
I trimmed and repostioned these brackets inboard to fit the Dynon screens. Planning one 10" and one 7".
Regards

Here's my -6A panel in progress

Oops. Thanks, Bret, I forgot to say tip-up. Has anyone modified the supports in a tip-up to allow screens where the stock panel supports are now? Now meaning when I bought my fuse kit 4 years ago.

Middle stack has GTN750, PMA5000, SL40.
VPX, so no need for CBs.
And no way are two Skyview 10s too large. It's awesome and you can configure the screens many ways to suit your taste.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=WenEng&project=665&category=6824&log=164739&row=3

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=WenEng&project=665&category=7566&log=166391&row=3

Modified Sub-Panel/Panel ribs

I have seen the front of the panels where the larger screens are mounted through the area where the stock panel support screws are originally intended to be located, at the aft end of the F-745-R & L supports, but nothing behind the panel. Does anyone have any pics of the modifications to/replacement of the F-745's to support the panel at other than the stock locations?

Sam,
Funny how time flies. I started this thread wanting to use two 10" Skyview displays, with this very mod in mind. Sam, it's an easy thing to do. Here's how I did it:

FP29062013A000PI.jpg

I removed the forward canopy frame, then riveted the structure in place. I picked placements for the avionics modules and drilled their attachment holes: 2x SkyView back-up batteries, SkyView transponder and engine monitor module, and the PS Electronics VHF transmitter module. All avionics went back in their boxes for storage--they didn't make it into the aircraft until the fuselage is was closer to finished.

FP29062013A000PJ.jpg

I removed the rear half of the two subpanel-to-panel F-745 forward fuselage ribs: I cut them flush where they emerge aft of the sub-panel. I then riveted an AA6-.063x3/4x3/4 rib to the ribs' forward ends so that I could rivet in new places to the rear face of the subpanel. Placement was guided by the holes in my new custom instrument panel. Those holes were placed at the Vans-spec height and spacing, but displaced inward to accommodate the SkyView screens. The ribs aligned perfectly with the panel's screw holes. Mounted in place, I marked rivet placement spots on the subpanel, matchdrilled using pre-drilled pilot holes on the new angle, then riveted in place.

FP29062013A000PK.jpg

Image 3 shows the final fit.

I hope this helps. More info available on my build site.

Thanks, Scroll,
That was exactly what I was looking for. I had been picturing things much more complicated, but you proved again how elegant simplicity can be. I have also always admired the F4, as one of the most rugged fighters in history. A classmate of mine flew them out of Thailand during the unpleasantness in SE Asia and they always brought him back in one piece, even if the airplane wasn't.

Success!

Glad I could help, Sam, and cheers to your friend's and your service. :cool:

Back