Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
why there is no option for a plain mag and an e-mag.
You can certainly use a plain mag and an e mag but you will have to start on the e mag only and have no option to hand crank if your battery is dead. You have to have an impulse mag to start.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:47 PM

What William says is true. But if you were forced to do that because of a problem with your impulse mag, would you really want to do that? The only way I would consider doing that would be to start the engine so I could taxi the airplane to some maintenance hangar when away from home - and I might not even do it then. What if the problem was with the impulse coupling on the mag? Well documented, hence the ADís on Slick impulse couplings. I wouldnít want to destroy my engine via chewed up metal in my accessory case because of the impulse failure for expediency reasons.
I guess you should ask yourself the question..... what is more reliable, an electronics ignition system, or an impulse-coupled tractor magneto. We know the answer on the tractor mag. We donít have enough experience with most electronic ignition systems on airplane engines to make a valid comparison. We canít really compare automotive ignition systems with their aircraft modified counterparts for the same reason, but usually advancement in these areas can be assumed to a certain degree. Thatís why I have had electronic ignition on all five of the RVís Iíve owned, and two eMags on my last RV8. However - getting rid of that impulse coupling, in my opinion, is a good move in terms of reliability, with no downside.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 02-14-2021, 04:07 PM

Default Starting on an e-mag alone

To those that start only via an electronic mag, is that working well for you? Any conditions where you wish you had a traditional impulse coupling?

George
Old 02-14-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlndRvtr View Post
To those that start only via an electronic mag, is that working well for you? Any conditions where you wish you had a traditional impulse coupling?

George
The short answer in #!*$ no.

Dual pMags - both on for engine start. Simple, easy, reliable.

Carl
Old 02-14-2021, 05:56 PM

I had one emag on my last RV, on the left and used for engine start. Then I replaced the right mag with a second emag and used both for engine start. Both ways worked very well.
I now have a SureFly on the left, mag right (RV4), and it also starts very well on the SureFly alone.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 02-14-2021, 08:10 PM

Thatís very interesting I was going to call them on this Monday getting ready to pull the trigger on a RV14A Qbuild, Flying RV9A over 500 hrs with 2 p-mags, Love them! Doing the Thunderbolt was trying to decide on Lycoming E-Mags or what I know and love P-Mags. Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
Ive decided to go full monty. Ordered engine with one emag and none on other side. I told lycoming the plan is to put on a second emag. Lycoming cant put second emag on at factory cuz of lawyers. So, they will prep engine for second emag. Btw, i emailed both emag and lycoming re this plan and they both got back to me immediately. Impressive.
#SunShine2020
Old 02-14-2021, 10:12 PM

Default No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlndRvtr View Post
I ran a single PMag for many years and eventually went to dual PMags. I never had an issue starting on a single PMag and now start with both. YMMV.

Cheers, Sean
Donated to Nov 2021
Old 02-15-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
You can certainly use a plain mag and an e mag but you will have to start on the e mag only and have no option to hand crank if your battery is dead. You have to have an impulse mag to start.
I wonder anyone has used the backup automotive battery to start airplane engine such as the one in the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	8395  
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Prep for cowl install
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 02-15-2021, 08:05 AM

Default Mag

Scott,

I also decided to get rid of the impulse mag after reading a post here on the forum about a freshly rebuilt engine with an impulse mag. The impulse mag failed shortly after he got it back from rebuild and had to take the engine off to fix the issue (see below).

I have an Electroair ignition on one side and will have a non impulse Slick 4130 on the other side, exactly the configuration my buddy has with his RV-10. He starts on the Electroair then brings the non impulse Slick mag on line after engine start.

"Sure is nice to have smart friends"
2018 dues paid

Last edited by olyolson : 02-16-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdara View Post
Thatís very interesting I was going to call them on this Monday getting ready to pull the trigger on a RV14A Qbuild, Flying RV9A over 500 hrs with 2 p-mags, Love them! Doing the Thunderbolt was trying to decide on Lycoming E-Mags or what I know and love P-Mags. Mark
Hold up- I believe when the order form says "E-mag" what it means is the P-mag 114 series manufactured By E-Mag Electronic Ignition. NOT the SureFly mag that is starting to show up on the certified engines, which still require a second old school magneto.

That may be a bad assumption on my part? I ordered a Thunderbolt with the 1 e-mag, delete second magneto option, expecting to add a second P-mag 114 when it shows up, but I went back and looked at my thunderbolt order form and it really doesn't specify whether the mag option is surefly or p-mag.

Can somebody verify one way or the other?
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=