So far I have adjusted the width of the baggage compartment bulkhead by removing the rivets that hold together the three piece bulkhead (F-606) and moved each side out by about 1/8". This has reduced the amount of bow out as checked with a long straight edge. The skins are not yet back on but the TC (who is a very experienced RV builder) had a look at it and thinks it should be OK now.
If I had tried to adjust the position of the other bulkheads to get the sides flat (before drilling holes in everything) I think it would have thrown out the straight line along the keel and the top deck. These lines are both dead straight right now on both the tops and the bottoms of the bulkheads. This is with the installed bulkhead locations and widths exactly as per the plans, including the revision on Dwg 24 that widened F-607 and F-608 by 0.25 (this change isn't immediately obvious on the drawing as the dimensions are unchanged, but the reference line was moved back by 0.125).
I did some simple maths on the slope of the sides by calculating rise/run for each bulkhead bay and it is not constant, so the sides are designed to be not flat, unless there are errors in the drawing that have never been corrected. Anyway I just have to work with the parts I have got, hopefully when I get the skins back on today there will be an acceptable fit.
Thanks again for the assistance, I'm glad there are still people around who know about the older models.
Paul vS (yes I'm also a Van)
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Last edited by PaulvS : 05-07-2020 at 06:09 PM.