What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetometer GMU 11 placement

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Has anyone put the GMU 11 on the turtle deck of the RV10 with success?

Search feature didn?t address this location that I could find. Other locations, like wing tip, is out for me due to tip tanks... so some where in the tail it will need to go.. was hoping for the deck vs hanging it from one of the ribs.

I put my 22 on a custom shelf/bracket between two stringers just forward of the bulkhead aft of the baggage wall bulkhead. passed interference test and calibrated easily. Seems pretty accurate in my limited flying so far.

Seems others have done this as well with good results.

Larry

+1 LR172

This is the shelf I made for the GMU11. Solid and no interference.

20170914-201325.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I had my gmu placed in the tail section for the first 8 hrs and would constantly get an "anomaly" pop up on the screen... Moved it to the bulkhead aft of the baggage compartment bulkhead and no more issues..I think the trim cables are to close. BTW we were within "testing limits' when we had it in the tail, but would still get the anomaly

Vans now sell a bracket that can be used to mount the GMU 11 in this location, although I've not fitted it myself yet. It's sold as an ADAHRS bracket but, if you read the small print, it also does the GMU 11. https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...753-14-573&browse=airframe&product=AHRS-mount

Unless they changed it, that bracket puts the AHRS next to the bell crank, ap servo and battery on the 10. Decent amount of ferrous metal in close proximity. Much better to be up near the top skin.

Larry

Good info all. I was kind of planning on installing the aerosport naca vent. I think that would probably interfer with the top of the bulkhead location mentioned. Unless maybe I put I further aft and still at the top of the bulkhead.

Has anyone placed them in the wing with success..like on or near an inspection plate?

Back