What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help! Oshkosh

chinch

Hi all,

A last minute change in plans means that I am able to travel to the States and attend Oshkosh this year, first time since a one day (blush) visit in '86.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the issue of accommodation. Want to do it reasonably cheaply, so motels/hotels are out, and the university/student dormitories are all booked out. Which leaves room subletting, I guess - are there areas to avoid? What is other peoples experience of same? Any other ideas?

All suggestions gratefully accepted!

Just show up at the dorms registration after your arrival. 99 % probability you will get a room. Call/email/fax them NOW to get on waiting list. Better later then never :)

Dorm Rooms

I called the university a few days back and put my name on the list. Last year everyone on the list got a room. As of a week ago, the list has 350 names on it. I am assuming many of us won't get rooms this year. Usually it isn't to hard to come up with a room from someone on one of the forums. If you don't find something soon, keep an eye out on the boards and you will come up with something.

There is a guy in Texas that books a block of rooms in the dorms. I forget his name but I do remember George. He typically has cancellations and can usually get people a room.

Maybe someone else can add the rest of his name and phone number so that you can call and get a room through him. There use to be a small charge for his service.

Hope this helps.

On-Site Camping

On-Site Camping
One of the most popular ways to experience EAA AirVenture is to camp, whether drive-in camping in Camp Scholler or under the wing of your own airplane. You?ll be located right on the AirVenture grounds and be a part of the unique community of aviation enthusiasts. 2011 general camping rates are $22 per night with a three-day minimum, and at least one person in your party must be an EAA member.

This works great for me. I have camped in my Geo Metro, Dodge Caravan and lately I have been using a 50 dollar tent from Walmart. I presume that you will be driving in a rental car from the Chicago area. Make sure that you have one booked because sometimes it tough to get one. The showers work good at the camp and I will bet you will meet a lot of neat people. Our EAA chapter camps close to the beer tent and we have a diverse group, Tent camping to trailers and one guy brings his father in laws large motor home. The night life is great in the camp ground. If you are going to camp a cooler tent flashlight and bicycle is all you need. Best of luck with what ever accomadation you come up with.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa

Oshkosh Christian School

Chris,

I highly recommend the Oshkosh Christian School. I have stayed there for the past 7 Airventures. It is $49/night and it is a fund raiser for the school. Everyone who works there during Airventure are volunteers. They move the furniture out of the class rooms and puts 8-10 beds in. You end up in room with a bunch of guys but it is not bad. They have ample shower facilities. They serve breakfast (included in price) and bus transportation to the airfield. They also offer dinner for $5.00 (at least that was last years price). They also can provide pickup and drop-off server to the Appleton Airport (some fee may apply).

As mentioned I have stayed there before. Many of the visitors who stay are "repeat offenders" and return year after year. I have made great friends there from all over the world which has greatly enhanced my Airventure experience. I hope this helps.

Oshkosh Christian School
7 miles from EAA site
3450 Vinland Rd., Oshkosh, WI 54901
School: (920) 231-9704, ext. 4

How about camping?

Camp Scholler requires no reservations. You could arrange to rent a small camper or buy a tent and sleeping bag and join the biggest bunch of friendly aviation nuts I know for a week. Camp stores on site would get you by for vittles. Breakfast and lunch at the show anyway and no dealing with the traffic! Probably cheaper than any hotel even if you donate the equipment at the end of the week to the Goodwill store just north of the field. They might be a place to buy a cheap bike for a week, or maybe you could rent one.

Dorms might be cheaper if you can get one, but I'd not be afraid to plan on camping even if you arrive with only the clothes you need for three or four days. Take a cab to WalMart. A week totally on site for a lone resourceful guy is doable and might be fun if you're looking for a little extra adventure...:D

We hope to be there in our motorhome unless Linda's health issues get in the way. Would be glad to help any way we can. Email me at fraziernv at earthlink dot net or call 702 two seven eight 0273.

Camp!

Last year instead of camping I stayed at the dorms for the first time. I didn't book them until after the event had started and still had no problem.

That said, I much prefer camping. No need for a camper, just bring a high quality tent. I really felt like I missed something staying in the dorms last year. I was no longer immersed in the Oshkosh Experience. Instead I got on a bus and went to Oshkosh every day. I also had to leave in the evenings and go back to the dorms. When you camp, there are no time pressures--you just live Oshkosh for the duration of the event.

You'll enjoy yourself either way though.

Guy

Thanks everyone!

Once again, I am overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge and depth of generosity of this community. Since this entire trip is all about Oshkosh, I'm going to immerse myself in it - Camp Scholler it is. I'm really looking forward to the experience and to meeting any RVers...

Any word on what the quality of "Public Wifi" is, and is there somewhere to charge phones and laptops? Alternatively, is it allowed to run power into tent at a powered site? I know in some countries it's frowned upon.

Camping at OSH

There is WiFi available at certain "hot spots". It can be slow at peak times, but I have always been able to use it for what I needed. There are outlets available at the shower houses and I see may people charing cell phones and lap tops there. The camp store has most necessities available such as milk, food, ice, coffee etc. You can run a generator up to 10 PM in the evening. There is not power available to run to your tent. This will be my 22 consecutive year camping at Oshkosh, all but two of them in a tent. I think it is part of the Oshkosh experience.

My attendance at Oshkosh this year is iffy and I probably won't know until the last minute if I can go. That said, if I just show up Monday in my truck, is there a cheap option for parking somewhere safe and just sleeping in the back for 1 night. I see Scholler has a 3 night minimum, so not sure that is what I'm looking for. Any advise appreciated.

Circle R Campground

I normally park my camper at the Circle R Campground about 2 miles due south of the grounds on Old Knapp Street. If you are thinking of car or tent camping, they seem to always have space for vehicle camping, particularly motorcycles. See there web site: http://www.circle-r-camp.com/

It's a 172, but still...

Unless I sell my 172 and get the RV of my dreams in the next two weeks...I will have my '61 Fastback 172 parked in either the Vintage or General Aviation areas, If you want, you can pitch a tent under my wing and "guard" the plane...(I volunteer for Flight Line Operations all week and have alternative accommodations arranged).

Ryan
Madison, WI
Lifetime EAA
Volunteer Co-Chair, EAA Flight Line Operations

camping

Rellumdats, about a mile south of the main gate(and about 1/4 mile north of ultralight runway) has no minimum stay and won't care if you sleep in the truck. Showers at the truckstop about 2 miles away but you have to get there REALLY early.

Re Help OSH

Unless my GF somehow gets the week off at the last minute and that is not likely (Controller LAX). I have a room in Taylor Hall (AC) that will have a empty bed. PM me for phone number if interested. I have already paid for it so no charge, however if you want to help out with the cost of the room I will not object :D

Rellumdats, about a mile south of the main gate(and about 1/4 mile north of ultralight runway) has no minimum stay and won't care if you sleep in the truck. Showers at the truckstop about 2 miles away but you have to get there REALLY early.

I did a search on Rellumdats and came up with nothing. Is that a campground? Does it go by another name?

Marion University at Fond Du Lac

Usualy always has last minute dorm rooms. They also have air conditioning this year! 15 minuite ride up to Air Venture. Also local Airport there at Fond du lac. call 800 262 7426 talk to Donna Robinstein.

Back