What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Visitors From the Swamp and Beyond

TomVal

Well Known Member
Our airport, Summerville, SC (KDYB), is located adjacent to a swamp thus we are subjected to a variety of flying and crawling visitors during the year. Here is the cast of usual characters:

Mud Daubers: So far, I’ve been lucky keeping them out of the aircraft.

Cockroaches: Try to kill them on first sight but they can scurry up to 20 mph (17 kts) so not so easily caught.

Spiders: They seem to like living on or near the bi-fold door. I have learned to live with them. I rarely see them and don’t appear to be particularly aggressive plus they help catch bugs.

Snakes: After pushing the aircraft into the hangar I leave the tow bar attached with the handle resting on the floor. One morning, as I lifted the handle to pull the -12 out, a baby copperhead angrily peered back at me, which immediately sent my feet flying upward and my nuts lodging in my throat! After that experience I now approach that tow bar handle a bit more cautiously.

Mice: For some reason, not much of a problem…maybe thanks to the snakes! Occasionally I’ll find a few droppings but not often.

Hummingbirds: Did you know if a hummingbird flies into your hangar they will not fly out. They will attempt to fly up but not out even with a fully open door. I tried for several hours attempting to shoo one out but to no avail. Sadly, I had to eventually close the door and found him toes up the following morning.

Frogs: I recently discovered two baby frogs living inside the protective cover of my nosewheel fairing. Every time I started to move the -12 they would exit the nosewheel fairing and scurry across the ramp. The other day I made a fatal mistake, I lost track of them and accidentally squashed one while pulling the aircraft out.

So far, no baby alligators or feral hogs.

Last edited:
Time to move!

Our airport, Summerville, SC (KDYB), is located adjacent to a swamp thus we are subjected to a variety of flying and crawling visitors during the year. Here is the cast of usual characters:

Mud Daubers: So far, I’ve been lucky keeping them out of the aircraft.

Cockroaches: Try to kill them on first sight but they can scurry up to 20 mph (17 kts) so not so easily caught.

Spiders: They seem to like living on or near the bi-fold door. I have learned to live with them. I rarely see them and don’t appear to be particularly aggressive plus they help catch bugs.

Snakes: After pushing the aircraft into the hangar I leave the tow bar attached with the handle resting on the floor. One morning, as I lifted the handle to pull the -12 out, a baby copperhead angrily peered back at me, which immediately sent my feet flying upward and my nuts lodging in my throat! After that experience I now approach that tow bar handle a bit more cautiously.

Mice: For some reason, not much of a problem…maybe thanks to the snakes! Occasionally I’ll find a few droppings but not often.

Hummingbirds: Did you know if a hummingbird flies into your hangar they will not fly out. They will attempt to fly up but not out even with a fully open door. I tried for several hours attempting to shoo one out but to no avail. Sadly, I had to eventually close the door and found him toes up the following morning.

Frogs: I recently discovered two baby frogs living inside the protective cover of my nosewheel fairing. Every time I started to move the -12 they would exit the nosewheel fairing and scurry across the ramp. The other day I made a fatal mistake, I lost track of them and accidentally squashed one while pulling the aircraft out.

So far, no baby alligators or feral hogs.

I think you need to move. I hate snakes, bats and rats!

If you get a hummingbird in your hangar/garage, place something bright red outside the door and eventually, they'll fly out to investigate. Been there, done that. I think my one of my kids told me that and it worked for me.

If you get a hummingbird in your hangar/garage, place something bright red outside the door and eventually, they'll fly out to investigate. Been there, done that. I think my one of my kids told me that and it worked for me.

Great tip...leave it to the kids to know that!

Yep, this is a recurring problem. My Wife has lots of flowers on the deck and we have lots of humming birds. I've found that if I place a pot of bright flowers just outside the door, they will fly to them and then are outside. But you must leave the hangar. They will not do it if you are present.

Birds in the hanger

I get small birds in my hanger regularly.
My solution is turn out all the lights and close the Big door, (make it dark as possible).
Leave the walk door open and they will fly right out every time for me.
Thanks
J.

beware the trap stick

I used the trapstick in an out of the way location between the rails on my deck trying to get rid of nearby yellow jackets. One day I found a bird trapped on the sticky glue. Now I would use a smaller yellow fly trap if presented with a similar situation. We also get hummingbirds in the hangar. Have tried everything (except the flower pot) One cut its head in its attempt to flee and every time he hit the finished ceiling he left a blood spot. Vic has nursed them back with sugar water when they eventually fall to the ground.

Back