Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2020, 09:24 PM

Default Can someone give me an iPad primer?

Okay here is my deal, I have not flown with any regularity in quite a few years due to the build and life before that. Luckily the build is get close and it's time to take back to the skies! When I got my PPL I flew with a yolk mounted Garmin 196 just as a nice backup. iPads were non-existent in the cockpit then. Can an iPad be used as a backup/nice to have GPS? I'm assuming yes with Foreflight or the like but I wanted to double check that I am headed the right direction. I also would really like to not have to buy charts anymore as I'm right on the intersection of four of them.

Long story short, I doubt my Garmin 196 is worth a darn anymore or even update-able? I would like a better option but don't know what I don't know.

If the iPad is the way to go which one do you recommend?

And yes I have used the search function but it's all kind of hard to follow.

Thanks a milion!
Old 05-21-2020, 09:35 PM

Been using FF for 8 years. Started with iPad2, now using iPad Air. Probably want to buy the most power and memory you can afford. Consider carefully how and where you will mount it. Bigger iPads not always the best for mounting and not blocking things.

Many FF comments on VAF over the years. The iPads and FF are a great tool for Situational Awareness, couldn’t imagine ever this capability when I got my PPL in 1975. The airplane icon sits on the display and the Sectional, IFR low, or IFR high chart slides along underneath you. Add Scout or another device and some Traffic and Weather is available for FREE!

When you put a flight plan (Series of waypoints) in FF a line is generated between each waypoint. While flying you can get ETE, ETA, GSpeed, and many other pieces of info.

CONS: The iPads displays, at full brightness, are not always usable in direct sunshine. Sometimes the iPad overheats and shuts down. My only overheat experience is when the iPad has sat in the sun while parked. Never had an overheat in flight.

Recommend you fly with someone using FF. Another test, next time on airline use FF back in coach. Use Bad Elf or something to give GPS location to the iPad.

My opinions....

Carl

RV7A - purchased flying 05/2020
RV6A - sold

Last edited by flytoday : 05-21-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:14 PM

Default iPad Primer

From your title, I can not resist a snarky reply: Use AKZO or any good epoxy primer. I would recommend against the self-etching primers for this application.

But to be more helpful, I just fairly recently switched to ForeFlight on an iPad. Until recently, I have been using an iFly 720 which has a very bright screen. BTW, I still have the iFly 720 if anyone wants to buy it. PM me an offer.

When I tried FF on an iPad several years ago on an older vintage iPad, I found the screen brightness very disappointing, even with the then-available glare suppressing screen protector. But the newer iPads out now are brighter, and have screens that better reject glare.

I am now using an iPad Mini 4. The mini is just about the right size, I think. I have it on a very short-armed RAM mount with rather limited ability to change screen angle to prevent glare. So far I have been able to move it enough, and I am pretty happy with it.

So, the strong recommendation is to get one of the newest models, at whatever size fits your fancy. As mentioned above, bigger is not necessarily better.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 05-21-2020, 11:34 PM

+1 on the mini. Be sure to get one with gps. I happen to like WingX a tad better than Foreflight, but they?re both good.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:15 AM

Have you checked out iPad Pilot News? I think this is a really good iPad related website for pilots. Lots of tips and tricks, and they give equal time to many different apps.
=VAF= donor 2022
Old 05-22-2020, 04:04 AM

Check this You Tube Clip. In depth iPad comparison by Seattle Avionics.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysrv10 View Post
Check this You Tube Clip. In depth iPad comparison by Seattle Avionics.
Opps! Too early in the AM, Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3usP1ZHqCA&t=2752s
Old 05-22-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Okay here is my deal, I have not flown with any regularity in quite a few years due to the build and life before that. Luckily the build is get close and it's time to take back to the skies! When I got my PPL I flew with a yolk mounted Garmin 196 just as a nice backup. iPads were non-existent in the cockpit then. Can an iPad be used as a backup/nice to have GPS? I'm assuming yes with Foreflight or the like but I wanted to double check that I am headed the right direction. I also would really like to not have to buy charts anymore as I'm right on the intersection of four of them.

Long story short, I doubt my Garmin 196 is worth a darn anymore or even update-able? I would like a better option but don't know what I don't know.

If the iPad is the way to go which one do you recommend?

And yes I have used the search function but it's all kind of hard to follow.

Thanks a milion!
I run FlyQ EFB on a 10.5in iPad Pro that I used on a knee board. I tried them all several years ago when I was getting back in the cockpit. They all had 30 day free trials. I tested Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, and FlyQ. I settled on FlyQ. At the time, FF and FlyQ were the best of the three, and I purchased FlyQ and got lifetime subscriptions for my Dynon Skyview and my FlyQ EFB on one one of the black Friday deals. The guys at Seattle Avionics just seemed more innovative. After quite a few years, I still love using FlyQ EFB and the integration with Skyview is very nice.

So, I suggest the 10ish in iPad (the air is fine, and weighs 1kb) and try all the EFBs and pick the one you feel most comfortable with.
New Superior IO-360-B1AC2 w/Hartzell Composite CS
RV8 - #83313 - Under Construction (sort of!)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:09 AM

Default Foreflight advice

I like this one from Foreflight:

https://www.foreflight.com/support/buying-guide/

Quote:
Short Advice
Buy the Wi-Fi + Cellular and 256GB model of either the 11-inch iPad Pro or the iPad mini (2019).

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 AM

Default Another option...iPhone?

I had the normal 10" iPad for a while. Outside the cockpit I find it limited. I prefer the laptop. So I had to sweet talk myself into an iPad for the flying reason...

At the time the mini was super old with outdated hardware but they just update that I think.

So for me the 10" was too big and got in the way in the cockpit. The iPad mini might be a better buy. But my cell was about 6 years old and the battery was ****.
I sold the iPad I went ahed and got the 6.1" iPhone (the cheapest available at the moment). And to be honest I find it is more than enough to fly with. Not even the Garmin GTN 650 is that big! just another idea...
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 05-22-2020 at 06:50 AM.