What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun N Fun

f14av8r

Well Known Member
Hey, let's kick off the Sun N Fun discussion here!

What a great night to show up. Unfettered access to the entire flight line by bicycle. Everybody's still setting up and you can go wherever and whenever you want. That won't be true starting tomorrow morning!

Looking like great weather too.

Here's the Van's tent prior to day one.
IMG_0827_zpsvdhyvzzf.jpg

And, in case you are interested, the special pricing for Sun N Fun 2016:

Vans%202016%20Show%20Special%20Pricing_zpsupz1nhya.jpg

We'll be there in the morning. Drove by there tonight to figure out the route.. First time for us!

Wow, the pricing for the IO-390 is down from Oshkosh last year. (Bundled price $34,500)

Great news!

Last edited:
We're here as well with the radial RV! Come by and see us at booth N33 - 34. Right in front of hangar C.

f2901202ce257ca5227d7f58cc517af1.jpg
[/IMG]

Mr

Have not been to Sun N Fun - yet.
Would love to see photos or a link to photos such as photo bucket, etc.

Headed down tomorrow afternoon with a friend building a Panther. Hope to make KISM in time to drive in for the night show, will fly in on Thursday and Friday, shopping list in hand.

I want to change engine oil before heading south on the weekend. Flew to SkyGeek HQ today to buy an oil filter. What I see? :eek:

RV14A @ SNF

Need more pictures of 914VA! Is the top black?
I only had a couple of hours at SNF today while on my way to south FL with the family. Spoke with Mitch and Sterling for a bit. Apologized to Sterling for my recent "new guy" email questions that he's answered for me:)
Here's the newest 14 in the Van's fleet. Mitch did an outstanding job..and a great guy to boot.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:
Headed to SnF

Long time lurker here...headed to SnF to show the boss....err wife...what I want to build. I'm in the 7/8/14 camp and she's thinking 10. Does Van's let you sit in the aircraft? I'm leaning toward a 7 but want to see if I need the extra space of the 14.

See everyone there...I'll be the one with the 7 month pregnant woman following me around! Hope to put some faces with VAF handles.

Yes, Van's will let you sit in all the aircraft.
They are a little more guarded than in previous years as some have not respected the aircraft when getting in or out.

Long time lurker here...headed to SnF to show the boss....err wife...what I want to build. I'm in the 7/8/14 camp and she's thinking 10. Does Van's let you sit in the aircraft? I'm leaning toward a 7 but want to see if I need the extra space of the 14.

See everyone there...I'll be the one with the 7 month pregnant woman following me around! Hope to put some faces with VAF handles.

Thanks...I guess I'll leave the prego one out! ;)

For any of you that are parking in HBC be careful of the asphalt lip on the taxiway. Apparently, between the ground being a little soft and the height difference between the grass and the taxiway, I crushed my pilot side wheel pant while leaving today. I didn't notice it when it happened, but saw it at my fuel stop.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the HBC experience. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Shannon
I just thought I was done with fiberglass...:(

Anyone on the field at LAL this morning? Just wondering about my 9 that tied down there on row 6. Weather not good earlier and not good out of Tampa right now. Had some wind early am hours.

What! Vans is using ATO fuses instead of CBs? what is the world coming to..................Fuses are in my build also......don't tell me they primed the inside also..............Kidding....That 14 looks sharp!

Weather Okay

Anyone on the field at LAL this morning? Just wondering about my 9 that tied down there on row 6. Weather not good earlier and not good out of Tampa right now. Had some wind early am hours.

Hi Dennis,
I'm at SNF this morning (0800 Thursday). We've had some light, occasionally moderate rain but that's about it. No significant wind events. We are experiencing frontal passage now. We may get some more significant rain over the next hour or so but once the front moves through the rest of the day and weekend looks great. Most of the weather here in the Tampa area has stayed west of SNF.

I'm sure your airplane is fine.
Randy

Thanks Rrandy for the personalized update. I knew there would be someone out there. Just remembering the 2011 SnF. DRR

Sitting in the forum for first flight procedures at 10 o clock. Weather clearing. All of you with lady pilots come and see us at the 99's house down the road from the radio station. I'll be in the area this afternoon after the WASP luncheon.

What! Vans is using ATO fuses instead of CBs? what is the world coming to..................Fuses are in my build also......don't tell me they primed the inside also..............Kidding....That 14 looks sharp!

Nothing new really.....

The RV-12 has had them since introduction as well as both RV-14A and RV-14 prototypes.

Didn't get to fly it but did get a ride in the B-17. Views out the waist gunner positions are amazing, as was the whole experience.

Tailcam view of Sun N Fun

I got to fly a few passes in a flight of 12. Following is my tailcam video as #11. It was shot between 11:30 and noon.

Didn't get to fly it but did get a ride in the B-17. Views out the waist gunner positions are amazing, as was the whole experience.

So didja get up to the cockpit to say hi to the drivers? That was me in the right seat... I should've worn my VAF hat! Glad you liked the ride, and many many thanks! I know that the rides aren't cheap, but that beast is expensive to run and the ride program helps keep it flying. It really likes gas. And oil. Tires/brakes too. But still, it's just a cool old airplane and I'm lucky to be able to fly it.

Engine Price at Sun n Fun vs Oshkosh

I'm ready to buy IO360. Will Oshkosh be any cheaper? Is this the bottom price or should I wait till Oshkosh?

thanks

I was lucky to visit Sun n Fun Wednesday. Very Fun. Saw the announcement of Dynon EFIS for Cessna and Piper.

Hey, let's kick off the Sun N Fun discussion here!

What a great night to show up. Unfettered access to the entire flight line by bicycle. Everybody's still setting up and you can go wherever and whenever you want. That won't be true starting tomorrow morning!

Looking like great weather too.

Here's the Van's tent prior to day one.
IMG_0827_zpsvdhyvzzf.jpg

And, in case you are interested, the special pricing for Sun N Fun 2016:

Vans%202016%20Show%20Special%20Pricing_zpsupz1nhya.jpg

I would buy now. The YIO-360A1B6 (200hp). Is $9000.00 cheaper than it was 5 days ago. I confirmed this with them at the booth. I wish I would have known about this before I spent some serious cash on engine repairs. I replaced my cracked case with a new one and bought 4 new cylinders. I based my decision to repair my engine based on the previous price of $41K. It wouldn't have taken much more to replace my engine with a new one based on the current price. :mad:

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Back from a great show. Winds going down were a bear, so we did not make it in prior to the Wednesday night show and had to commute in from KISM (great service from the Jet Center). Saw lots of vendors, bought some "cheap" (really, honey!) stuff at show prices. Some guy took a picture of my back. Good flying to be seen, and am glad that I still get chills at the sound of a Merlin running down the line. Sat in on some workshops and got scared to fly my plane home because I was sure it was trying to kill me. Decided to fly home anyway, had to leave yesterday afternoon due to today's April (!) blizzard warning. My copilot realized the timing was such that we could swing by the coast and watch the 3:43 SpaceX launch:

OlG2fVyl.jpg

knOhBdGl.jpg

Having an RV looking over the operation obviously brought the Stage 1 landing attempt some good luck, pitching deck and all. Home and in the hangar by 9pm, what a way to travel!

Last edited:
We went down on Monday afternoon from GAI to VDL via LBT. Pretty choppy on the first leg, but smooth higher up on the last leg. Stiff headwinds added two hours to the trip. On the way home, the wind gods favored us with 45kt tailwinds north of Florida, so that was great. Great timing on the launch! I'm curious about Kissimmee Jet Center - how much did it cost to tie down / hanger? I'm headed to Orlando at the end of the month, and I'm considering flying the RV down if the wx looks good.

I'm curious about Kissimmee Jet Center - how much did it cost to tie down / hanger? I'm headed to Orlando at the end of the month, and I'm considering flying the RV down if the wx looks good.

Their SNF deal was buy 15 gallons ($4.50) and no parking fees, ramp packed with heavies, so grass parking, which was also packed, bring your own tie downs but they did all the labor to secure (properly even!) my CLAWs. Also Enterprise had a fleet of cars, flat $30 per day. Call to see what their everyday deals might be, excellent and friendly line guys.

Highlights

Ii'm sitting here watching the Breitling Jet Team perform on Saturday evening. Awesome show. As a motorhome camper, the thing I like most about the Breitling act, is that I don't have to abandon my excellent viewing spot in the campground, which is close to the flight line, like I do for the the T-Birds or the Blues. If SunNFun does nothing else, they should seek to eliminate that requirement when the military jet teams fly. Push THEM back, not your audience. Lites are you listening?

If you are visiting Sun N Fun tomorrow, try to visit the Red Bull display. Their virtual reality headset experience of a Red Bull air race is amazing and FREE! They are located near the car show. And, the Red Bull air race demonstration is one of the best features of the show. I've never seen a Red Bull race in person and it is very, very cool. Michael Gooligan and Kirby Chambliss do a demonstration completion (doesn't' count) which is very entertaining and educational. There are two US locations on the tour this year and, after seeing the demo, I'm going to try and make one for sure!

If you are at all in the market for an engine, you definitely should check out Van's pricing. I learned something today. I bought my -4 and the builder put an engine out of a 172 in the airplane. It's a high time motor and I want fuel injection so I'm looking at options. Since my builder didn't use the Van's special pricing - available one time only to each kit, the Van's special Lycoming pricing is still available to me, the second owner. My engine is fairly high time and I'm thinking of moving to a new, and fuel injected motor. Based on my research so far, taking advantage of the Van's deal will save me at least 7,000 dollars on the best, new Lycoming price I've been able to find.

If you are at all considering coming to Sun N Fun this year, I want you to know that the weather is absolutely fantastic. Cool, dry, and clear. Beautiful blue skies. If you are anywhere within fly-in distance for tomorrow, this is the time!

On a final note. Thanks to all the vendors and sponsors of the show. I'm amazed at the customer focused approach at SNF. A special shout out to Chad Jensen and Vertical Power. I have a damaged connector on my airplane that came up during conversation. Chad simply said, "shoot me an email and I'll send you a new one." There is nothing like the personal contact that you have at a show like this.

Nice job SNF!

Was a great SNF. WX was perfect.

I flew after the morning front passed on Thursday morning, then back again on Friday.

Sunny, dry & upper 70s, low 80s
Met several VAFrs on the HB frontline. Good times.

SUN-N-FUN 16 was my first visit. Flying in with a friend in his RV7A.
Camping int he Home built camping area was a highlight meeting all the great
people there. Mary Jane and her group made this a memorable event.

We arrived on Monday to great weather and an uneventful approach and
landing. Having been to Oshkosh, this is a much more pilot and visitor
friendly event. Vendors were friendly but it was the atmosphere created by
those flying in that made the event one I will be returning to.

I did see Turbo Eddie's RV6A parked in the Home Built parking. Sorry I never
met up to introduce myself and say "hi". I didn't really buy anything at the
show with the exception of a couple of shirts and a Van's hat. Oh, wait.. I
did buy something while AT the show, a nice RV6A based in Texas. Should be
here at my location by next Friday. Now with 200hrs and finishing up my
PPL(6hrs left before checkride time). Then transition training and learning to
fly the RV. I should mention that as a Sport Pilot I have flown Sport Cruisers,
Remos G3/GX's and a Lightning, but the new airplane will definitely require
lots of transition time.

So SUN-N-FUN 16 came and then we went on Friday only to land in 15G25
winds here at S17. A great experience that I will be sharing with the wife
next year. Now to get ready for Oshkosh 2016 and the 30yr anniversary of
the RV6.

SUN-N-FUN16CampMed.jpg

Tim at camp.

SUN-N-FUN16FriMornMed.jpg

Friday Morning

Last edited:
SnF Venice RV guys

Made it home from Augusta in time for a SnF run Saturday morning. Located a svelte pickle ball Turbo and two fats guys. :D (yes, I need the DR no sugar diet)
Vlad was UTL but arrived safely.

30nahyr.jpg

Kind of like my Dietz painting "Last Word" ... But a different team.
smyl3q.jpg

Enroute home fun
1zp44ur.jpg

Lonn's beautifully crafted -8 with WSO Mike (fL-mike)
e8sjk0.jpg

Last edited:
Great show this year! We came home with the 2016 Spirit of Homebuildng award. There were LOTS of RVs that brought home awards this year.

BK

5d7ae5fcdff10b003cb14738070f7235.jpg
[/IMG]
22b066340431ff317b41fef862117a50.jpg
[/IMG]
e42e9cf7294969864c97c04ddb7a3482.jpg
[/IMG]
ee818d1adf44a514ad20db23f587e509.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Reunion tour?

Made it home from Augusta in time for a SnF run Saturday morning. Located a svelte pickle ball Turbo and two fats guys. :D (yes, I need the DR no sugar diet)
Vlad was UTL but arrived safely.

30nahyr.jpg

Hey Gary.......Great pics......this one reminded me of a "Motley Crew" reunion poster......or mabe the "Rat Pack".....hope y'all had fun!

RV-8R

Brian, so glad to see your bird there at SnF!! I took lots of pics, and spoke at length with the Rotac boys.. I've got the QB -8 Fuse coming around August/Sept, so now I am seriously considering powerplants.. Love round engines..lots of time behind PW 1340s!

Boy, what a choice and competitive pricing to boot! Thanks for nothing for sticking little idea in my head!! ;)

...btw, gorgeous airplane and congrats on the award!

In need of contact for kit plan exhibitor.

I am building. -10 but during my walking tour of Sun n Fun on Friday I came across a new plane from overseas. It was a twin ducted fan fighter jet looking plane powered by 1 combustion engine. It was all glass and they said they had 25 hours on it and that it would fly on Saturday.

I found it really cool. Does anyone have the web site for it? Did it fly on Saturday?

Sorry I missed everyone. I ran out of time and could not make it over the camping section.

SnF 2016

This was my first visit in about 15 years... Over the past several years, I have been hearing about folks lamenting about how the show was too dusty, too expensive, and like it's bigger and older brother Oshkosh, had gotten away from it's home built roots.

I too am a homebuilder, but at the same time, thoroughly enjoy all things aviation. This includes all the new innovations in certificated aircraft, new avionics, and of course the warbirds! If it flies, I like it!

I was there for Tuesday and Wednesday and had an absolute ball!! This is a celebration of all things aviation and is a great opener to the 2016 flying season!

I'm also at the point of my build (Vans RV-8) that I'm now starting to pay close attention to all sorts of things that I now need to think about. Everything from propellers and engines and avionics to parachutes and even tailwheel options!

I was NOT disappointed!! Great show SnF, and I'll be back next year!!

Jeff, I have been to each once. I enjoyed SNF more than AV. I really wanted to go to SNF this year but was unable. I will probably go to AV this year, but it is too big for my liking.

I have been going to SNF since 2000 and have flown in since 2007. I always have a great time and will continue to attend in the future.

I have one major gripe about this year's SNF however. That stupid 8ft chain link fence at the taxi way where many people used to be able to enjoy arrivals and departures with an unobstructed view. We were told that it was required by the feds because KLAL is a Point of Entry and that's the way it has to be. Not only that, but you could not even stand at the fence because the showcase flights were directly overhead so one needed to stay 20 yards from the fence making a kind of no-man's-land of the area which used to make SNF so entertaining for so many people.:mad:

Sun N Fun 2016

We flew down Wednesday morning from South Alabama to SNF. Arrival was text book... everyone paying attention and things went smoothly. (My girlfriend did get a bit excited a few times with other planes so close! She was a fantastic help being an aircraft spotter though). Beautiful until the evening when rain set in although it was gentle throughout the night. Lots of great displays by the vendors. I did buy the navworx adsb system while there. Looking forward to getting it installed hopefully during the next annual. I had hoped Dynon would have a drop in type adsb solution for my D100 series instruments. Not so much. It would have required a bit of panel rework along with the purchase of their new sky view SE system, (very nice indeed), along with their xpdr and an adsb system. I lost interest pretty early on with that much money/work involved. Back to navworx. Everything I need to be completely ADSB 2020 compliant for around $1500.00. Wifi to my ifly it should give me everything. I'll be removing my ZAON and Skyradar equipment at that time. Really looking forward to the changes and increased safety this will bring to the airplane. We departed SNF Friday morning and flew back to our home base of Foley, Al. Smooth and uneventful flight. Just the way I like them. Hope everyone else enjoyed SNF as much as we did and had a safe flight home. Here are a few pics.

Heading out to SNF!!!
2csi25d.jpg

Home built camping
2jdlzs5.jpg

Our ride
2bs5z4.jpg

Vans Aircraft tent
15otapi.jpg

Going to miss everyone.... I've died and gone to Heaven!
2pu06kz.jpg

"PK".... Paul and Kim :)
ddouvb.jpg

Friday morning fog.
246vrr4.jpg

B-17 bomber (I was lucky enough to hop a ride in one last year... amazing experience)!
2gspnon.jpg

Heading home to Foley Alabama
33bk0nk.jpg

Last edited:
I am building. -10 but during my walking tour of Sun n Fun on Friday I came across a new plane from overseas. It was a twin ducted fan fighter jet looking plane powered by 1 combustion engine. It was all glass and they said they had 25 hours on it and that it would fly on Saturday.

I found it really cool. Does anyone have the web site for it? Did it fly on Saturday?

Sorry I missed everyone. I ran out of time and could not make it over the camping section.

It flew out Saturday. Very unique sound, kind of a loud wailing.
I don't know if it did any flybys during the week, but it does fly!

Roger and his new best friend

Well, Myra and I drove home after an exciting week spent with the 99's and three incredible women from the WASP (Women's Air Service Pilots). These girls, all in their 90s, gave interviews, spoke in the Air museum and signed autographs from sunup till sundown for 5 days this year. Look them up on the internet for more incredible information. I made it a point to hook up with Mitch Locke every day when the opportunity arose as we met last year at Osh and found we had a lot in common with Van's Aircraft and our RV14 builds. I really want to extend my thanks to him and all of Van's staff for the great job they were doing. I think they will all need throat lozenges from talking non stop all day. SnF was a great success due to the incredible weather and great turnout.

Last edited:
My son and I flew in Saturday morning, he played with MaryJane's nephews and the other kids, and out early this morning. Really didn't see much of the show but spent most of the time hanging out in HBC, which is OK by me.

Back