What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to steamboat

miyu1975

Well Known Member
I am planning to fly into steamboat springs in July and was hoping to get some advice on routes and such. I have not done any mountain flying to date. Any advice from locals or anyone for that matter who has flown in there would be appreciated.

Mountain flying

I don't know your experience level but mountain flying and mountain weather are vastly different than flatland flying. It is easy to run out of performance of both the aircraft and the body.

Instrument flying tends to be very high, up in the oxygen levels and vfr is subject to weather delays and deviations that without the mountains would be possible but not out west

Today I flew from Minneapolis to Cody WY with a fuel stop in Spearfish SD. I experienced VFR IFR and altitudes of overp 12000 ft.

If you don't have the experience take it slow, getting over the Rockies can be done safely VFR by low time pilots if you take the time to educate yourself about what you are wanting to do

Good luck,have fun and fly safe

Gary

Check with flyinmonique (David). He is from there and would be able to give you great advice. He is also the guy that gave me my first ride in an RV. He has a nice 9A he flys all over the place. Not quite as much as Vlad, but close!!

Steamboat Springs bound....

Ryan, PM me and I'll give you more information. Had a long reply here but it got lost when I hit submit.
Flyinmonque

Get some mountain time with an instructor/experienced pilot

Steamboat is a great place to fly into! Tons to see and do.

I would encourage you to make time for a stop along the front range and go flying with a local instructor or experienced mountain pilot.

http://coloradopilots.org/mtnfly_class.asp

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/PIC-archive/ASF-Weather/ASF-Mountain-Flying

The above are good places to start.

I don't mean to discourage you or sound preachy. Mountain flying is extremely rewarding, but given altitudes, winds, weather, etc it can get dangerous quickly. Training and situational awareness are key.

Hey All,

I will be heading west this summer enroute to Vans Homecoming and would like to get some mountain experience on the way. I also need a BFR in August.

Does anyone know a good CFI along tbe way that could offer both for me in my RV?

:confused: CJ

If you want real fun and learn how to land on places you wouldn't take a 4x4, check out Mountain Canyon Flying, McCall ID https://www.mountaincanyonflying.com/#

Lori, the owner is great and they have a very good course that I am sure has saved many lives and made better pilots of everyone who attended.

Hey All,

I will be heading west this summer enroute to Vans Homecoming and would like to get some mountain experience on the way. I also need a BFR in August.

Does anyone know a good CFI along tbe way that could offer both for me in my RV?

:confused: CJ

If you would be interested in doing this in Denver over 1-2 days, PM me. In addition to learning how to do it, you can bag airports in Aspen, Vail, Leadville, Telluride, Steamboat, etc. My CFI has been teaching mountain flying for 30 years. I will be taking my annual mountain refresher with him next week. He is based at KAPA. I can probably fix you up with a hangar or awning for those days.

Excellent! Thanks guys!

I am really ooking forward to this trip! Perhaps I will see some of you while I am on my summer tour?!?

;) CJ

Back