What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2014 SnF PiReps, photo URLs and such...

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
....place marker thread for the event. If you have an event PIREP, photos, etc. please feel free to share here...if you feel so inclined.
v/r,
dr

daily lunch 11;30 with turbo at the QB club house, right next to sun n fun radio deck. $10 lunch, $1 beers. see you there. I need to be there to get you in.
image-10.jpg

Last edited:
Sun N Fun 2014

Went to Sun N Fun today. Lot's of fun and lots of tired feet! But spend a lot of time looking over the RV 14. The plane rocks. But it is BIG. I had a hard time reaching the foot step and then over the flaps to get to the wing-walk. I mentioned this to them and they said perhaps it will be redone on the final release of the fuselage. Still, LOTS more room. Time will tell but looks good. Will be performing a flight demo on Friday. Excited!

Last edited:
Kind of a sour note... I saw 3 Rockets in the HB display area that had inspection tags from tha FAA tied to them telling them to contact xxx at the FSDO to discuss their N number. All 3 had small numbers so I assume that's the issue but it seems kind of chicken sxxx to run such inspections at a fly-in. I thought there was an FAA order that prohibited ramp inspections at fly-ins. I'm not sure how they justify this but it sure leaves a bad taste.

Kind of a sour note... I saw 3 Rockets in the HB display area that had inspection tags from tha FAA tied to them telling them to contact xxx at the FSDO to discuss their N number. All 3 had small numbers so I assume that's the issue but it seems kind of chicken sxxx to run such inspections at a fly-in. I thought there was an FAA order that prohibited ramp inspections at fly-ins. I'm not sure how they justify this but it sure leaves a bad taste.

Ugh. Why does the FAA have to be this way ALL the time? Can't they take a day off once in a while? :mad:

Can you imagine if this were to happen at OSH? The pink shirts would need security protection, between the anger over fees they've larded on EAA and ramp checking 10,000 airplanes.

Hopefully this just had something to do with the date today....

I disagree

There is a regulation for the size of the n-numbers. It's cut and dry. That is one of the easiest things to get right. I can't understand why people don't put the right size numbers on. I just heard a guy talking about the new graphics he had installed on his certified diamond. He said the n-numbers were illegal the were only 8 or 10 inches, can't remember. Why??? Put the right size on and be done with it.

I do agree that the FAA should not go digging into things to find things wrong, at Flyins, but when you can walk by 20 feet from an aircraft and see that the n-numbers are not right, that is just saying I don't follow rules, what are going to do about it?

I do agree that the FAA should not go digging into things to find things wrong, at Flyins, but when you can walk by 20 feet from an aircraft and see that the n-numbers are not right, that is just saying I don't follow rules, what are going to do about it?

Yup and when something is done, they cry about it.

:cool:

If it was a prank they used real FAA forms - 2-sided, carbon, perforated. Had to be an FAA employee to get them I would think. Poor judgment, real or not.

There is a regulation for the size of the n-numbers. It's cut and dry.

Well, you would think so, but it's not. My memory is not the greatest anymore but I believe the regulation says if your airplane cruises at 175 kts INDICATED or less, you can use 3 inch numbers. The problem is that it doesn't say at what altitude this is. The F1 Rockets cruise at less than 175 ikts at 11K or 12K, so we use 3 inch numbers. Within the "letter" of the law but open for interpretation.

Let's not just pick on the Rocket guys either. There are plenty of RVers who claim they cruise at 180 kts. I wonder how many would claim that if they had to paint 12 inch numbers down the side?

Sorry for the thread steal, now back to SnF stuff.

Last edited:
(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under ? 21.191 (d), ? 21.191 (g), or ? 21.191 (i) of this chapter to operate as an exhibition aircraft, an amateur-built aircraft, or a light-sport aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS;

No mention of altitude or type of airspeed or percent power for cruise or, or, or.... :rolleyes:

Ok maybe this was before the beer but it's clearer.

Some of the RVers were Turbo Eddie, SkyKing Bob and Cathy, Gman Gary and Sandi, Hideous Steve and other assorted airplane enthusiasts.

mtmaad.jpg

Just bought some new "N" numbers

at SnF --- 3", for my Mach 1 RV-6A --- Hope they stay on at that speed!

R.

Hey....this could be my big break!

Professor Bobsky still looks like Lenin :D

Haaaa Haaaaa Haaaa Haaaa - Good one Vlad - I never thought of it, but you are correct sir! We should probably check his family tree:D

Vlad and Izzy.....you know I agree with you guys.....maybe if my family tree proved I am from Lenin....I could collect all the royalties from his share of all the Beatles recordings!!!!:D:D Thanks for the tip!!:cool:

Weather has been fabulous all week, cool, light winds, the best I can remember in recent years. The Blue Angels arrived yesterday and put on quite a show, not their regular show, just a tuneup and practice, but pretty spectacular.

RV-14A Cockpit:

Behind the RV-14A panel:

Probably the best weather I have seen at Sun 'n Fun! Unfortunately, I had to leave Thursday to escape the weather coming across the gulf coast so that I didn't get stuck in Florida until next week. It was great seeing so many folks I knew, and meeting any more!

Left Sun 'n Fun at 1115 EDT Thursday and am sitting at Big Bear Lake in California at 1400 PDT on Friday (after spending the night with Louise in our condo in College Station, TX) - hard to beat these RV's for cross-country travel!

What tags. I saw no stinking tags. Did you? Oh well, guess I'll go on my merry way now.

Russian siting?

Looking for friend of certain ethnic persuasion. Telegraph reports from North say he is winging South.

2v968tw.jpg

Wait until tonight..

If you're around this evening for the night show look up and watch for Team AeroDynamix. We will be on at about 7:55.

Thanks Turbo!

Hey Turbo,

Thanks for the invite to the special "QB" club. What a privilege to be among such an elite group!:D Too bad I missed Vladsky. If you are ever flying up by HWY on your migration between CT and FL stop in and "have a heaping helpin of our hospitality" !

Can someone provide some info and commentary on the "behind the RV-14 panel". What wiring system is this?

013_zps304017ec.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
Seems to me that I recall Vans did their own hub setup on the 14.

Maybe search the WWW for a video on the RV 14 Walk Around.

Had a great trip to Sun-n-Fun.

Unfortunately had to leave around lunch time yesterday to get out in front of all the weather. Got home late last night, tired, but it was a lot of fun.

-Dan

Sorry Vlad, but Gary forced us to drink beer without you! It was rough, but we managed. Thanks again for the invite Gary, we had a great time!

Looking for friend of certain ethnic persuasion. Telegraph reports from North say he is winging South.

2v968tw.jpg

Probably should have put this here to start with.

My trip to Sun 'N fun Tuesday, April 1, 2014
No idea why I was told to speed it up, I was doing 4 knots greater than the published speed. Maybe the guy behind me was too fast.
I was kind of surprised to see a long string of airplanes behind me when I made the turn to final.
0900-0930 CST is the perfect arrival time. I have never held when I get there at that time.

http://youtu.be/jKaA6x_sXXg

We were where?

Came across this picture as I was dumping cameras today.....I think Mikey was real proud to be anchoring a row of RV's at an International Airport....I don't think I'll tell him....:p

P1000915.JPG

Sorry Vlad, but Gary forced us to drink beer without you! It was rough, but we managed. Thanks again for the invite Gary, we had a great time!

My pleasure Jim. Anytime you can get away from the job and head South, let me know.

Managed to locate the "formerly foreign target" at the QB on Saturday. He didn't stay grounded long though as he was giving a demo ride. Then he managed to sneak out prior to the night show.

ps.... RV-4 Steve and I loved the Team Aerodynamix night performance.

Way to make us proud guys!!!

Managed to locate the "formerly foreign target" at the QB on Saturday. He didn't stay grounded long though as he was giving a demo ride. Then he managed to sneak out prior to the night show.

Gary that was a quick turnaround I don't even remember where I've been on the field and what I did. The center of the world after you left moved to here. Then Turbo towed me home :D

Many thanks for the beacon.

Back