What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance suggestions

Yep

Ken, Victoria at Ace Aviation, Athens, Ga. is great to do business with She has my -10 and had my -6A.

706 549 7005 and tell her I sent you.

Best,

Jenny Estes
NationAir RV Insurance
(877) 648-8267

She's a VAF member and advertiser who provides a great service. Long time providers of RV insurance.

Last edited:
If you search any thread here about insurance, it will point out that all you need is one broker to search all available insurance companies. At Sun 'n Fun, I was told by the AVEMCO folks that this is not true - that AVEMCO doesn't use the broker system, so if you want a separate quote, you can still get one from them.

We just went through the insurance quote for our "Fleet", and did just that - had our regular broker (Skysmith) do his normal thing, and gave AVEMCO the same information. Sky beat AVEMCO by about 30%.

Everyone's hours and situations are different, and that makes a huge difference, so I wouldn't take any numbers away from that - but if you feel you want just "one more quote" after your broker gives you a bunch, AVEMCO is an option to check.

BTW, Sky has done a great job for us! There are some really good brokers available to the RV world.

Another vote for SkySmith

I've been dealing with SkySmith for a lot of years, and no one has ever beat their service, at least for me.
My company is Chartis. I've worked with Chartis both as a client and claims for customers. They have always been a great company to work with.

Me too

Skysmith for me also.

My prior plane was with Avemco for almost 20 years, and I just naturally went to them when the 10 was ready for flight------and the rates were totally exorbitant. Started me searching around, and Skysmith turned out the winner.

Just another form of the "education" we get with homebuilding.

Insurance

I recommend Nation Air. I had Avemco at first but when someone suggested Nation Air I checked into it and now save $700 a year on my premium. Yes I said $700/yr cheaper. And I have a LOT of flight time and hundreds of hours of tailwheel time. I was shocked at the diffedence for the exact same coverage.

I also have NationAir, good service and I had some unusual requests.

Also, to second the others: AVEMCO does not use independent agents, you need to deal directly with them to get a quote. But for me their quote was much higher, and for less coverage (Why is it that everyone else puts "per passenger' limits on their liability coverage, but Avemco sneaks in "per person" limits?).

But if you send in the Avemco request for quote at the right time of year with the right code, they will send you a nice baseball cap.

I don't understand why Avemco sends me 15 to 20 solicitations a year in the mail, and have yet to send me a quote when I fill one out and return it ? It must cost a lot to send those out, so you would think they would follow-up...
I have my 6A with Starr Aviation. For $1MM liability and $50,000 hull, with me and my 18 year old son listed as pilots (both VFR only), flying out of a grass strip - $1,500/year. Not sure how that compares to the group, but it was the best AA ratted rate that I got.

. For $1MM liability

I presume you mean you really have $100K liability (isn't there a $100K per passenger sub-limit)?

Is anyone carrying more than $100K per passenger liability, or is it even available? (Last time I asked the answer was "no".)

$1,000,000 LIMITED to $100K/ pax

I presume you mean you really have $100K liability (isn't there a $100K per passenger sub-limit)?

Is anyone carrying more than $100K per passenger liability, or is it even available? (Last time I asked the answer was "no".)

The $100K sublimit only applies to passenger bodily injury. Otherwise you have a million. Taxi into a Learjet, kill 5 people in a house, burn down a community hangar complex - you have $1,000,000 in coverage (plus defense costs).

If you want more, you'll have to buy a Bonanza.

NationAir

Great dealing with Jenny over the years and now this week been corresponding with Michelle for renew my RV insurance and now getting a quote on builders insurance for the C140. No issues with adding people to insurance that I can fly with while I was without a medical, no issues with flying while I have a special issuance medical, and get great price (that keeps going down).

Nation Air

+1 for Jenny at NationAir. Considerably less cost than my old broker (over 20 yrs) and great service and RV experience.

I just got a quote via NationAir, and it was $3000/yr beginning first flight. I really want to be covered for the flyoff, but is that normal?

How is the flyoff then re-quote with flight experience handled?

Thanks, Hope this is not thread drift.

Last edited:
I just got a quote via NationAir, and it was $3000/yr beginning first flight. I really want to be covered for the flyoff, but is that normal? How is the flyoff then re-quote with flight experience handled?

Your bio says low time pilot, and you're building a complex tailwheel 7. Sounds like insurance cost is going to be higher than average.

You'll get a re-quote every year.

I just got a quote via NationAir, and it was $3000/yr beginning first flight. I really want to be covered for the flyoff, but is that normal?

How is the flyoff then re-quote with flight experience handled?

Might make you feel slightly better if I told you that I got a 1500+$ quote for builder's insurance (no flight, just to insure the project). :(

Last edited:
Insurance Prices

When discussing insurance rates it is important to remember that there are a number of factors that come into play when insurance companies are determining the rates. This may make one friends quote higher or lower then another. The most important factors are aircraft type and value, pilot age and hours (total time, tailwheel if applicable and make and model hours) and any losses in the last 5 years. Most carriers will not quote a risk if there has been a loss in the last 3 to 5 years, this includes liability only policies or builders risk policies. If quoted it may make your rate higher than it would have been for a few years. If you do submit your information to several different brokers they should all be getting the same quotes as long as the information given to the broker is the same. There is only a small group of underwriters that quote experimental aircraft and an even smaller group that will quote and cover during the phase 1 test period. Hope this is helpful, let us know if you have any other insurance questions.

Regards,

Jenny Estes
NationAir

Might make you feel slightly better if I told you that I got a 1500+$ quote for builder's insurance (no flight, just to insure the project). :(

My quote from Avemco for builder's insurance was higher than I wanted to hear. When I talked with Jennifer from Nationair it was $252 for $42k. I'll need to bump it up later when I get the engine and avionics. For now however, that works for me!

Bob

My quote from Avemco for builder's insurance was higher than I wanted to hear. When I talked with Jennifer from Nationair it was $252 for $42k. I'll need to bump it up later when I get the engine and avionics. For now however, that works for me!

Bob

Mine 1500$+ was from Jennifer from Nationair as well. To clarify things I did have an aviation claim 14 months ago and thats what apparantely is making my rate go through the roof (even only if its insures the project sitting in a workshop). I am out of options according to the nation air folks.

Aircraft Insurance

Shopping for honest, reliable, custormer service-orientated insurance agent, broker or company for RV 7 insurance. Who do you use that you would recommend?

Please reply to "[email protected]" or by PM.

Thank you in advance,
Robert

Just renewed with NationAire

cannot beat the service, and they shopped for the best price --- but listed competitive bids so I could make my own choice.

Avemco took a widow to court (appeals court) and ruined her.
Hubsand died. Neighbors died. Charity flight so money changed hands.
Court allowed Avemco to dodge any payout.
I will NEVER do business with them. I will remind anyone who will read.... they will expend enormous sums on attorneys to dodge a payout.
Shame... is all I can say.

Back