What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steps on a taildragger?

MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I am converting a 7a to a 7. The project had steps installed. I am wondering if they will be useful and worth the extra weight or should I take them off. I have not had the opportunity to be around RVs enough to know or have an opinion. Also not sure if ground clearance would be an issue. Can anyone advise?

When I was shopping I saw several -6's and -7's with steps. The owners reported no issues having the steps on the taildragger.

My wife and I are short and old. My wing get a little higher each year.
The steps really help.

I did not use Van's steps. I built my own out of 4130 streamline tubing. They come straight out in line with the dihedral just aft of the flaps. With the flaps up, they are approximately 1/4" aft of the trailing edge. With the flaps down, they work beautifully.

~I built my own out of 4130 streamline tubing. They come straight out in line with the dihedral just aft of the flaps. With the flaps up, they are approximately 1/4" aft of the trailing edge. With the flaps down, they work beautifully.

Interesting, I was considering shortening the standard steps if I ended up buying an airplane with them, you certainly don't need the full length step.

The big advantage to mine is that the are one piece straight 4130 tubing with no weld joints to crack.

Steps

I have often contemplated putting steps on my -6 due to short legs. If in the building stage, I would do it.
Jim
RV-6

I converted a 7A to 7.
I never installed them on the A model and it was a big step. I don't think you'll have an issue with stepping up on the TW model.
Remember that the steps are aft of the CG and could be an issue if you decide on a Catto or other lightweight FP prop.

I think I will leave them on until I get ready to paint. Planning now to go with CS prop but if I change my mind, I can pull them off if I go with the Catto. I was just curious if anyone had them on a 7 or 6.

Step

One of my friends with an RV-6 purchased a folding step for his girlfriend so that she can have an easier time getting in his airplane.

I liked it so much, I purchased one to help my 82-year old mother get in and out of my RV-6 for her first trip with me in the airplane to AirVenture 2013.

The step folded and ready to go in the airplane.

The step setup ready to help any PAX in or out of the airplane.

I put steps on the RV9A when it was a 9A. Since converting to a 9, I'm still very happy to have the steps. They help a lot when kneeling on the wing working on various things. And my (short) wife really still likes them rather than trying to step up onto the wing.

Greg

I have them on my plane

I put an 80" prop and longer gear legs to accommodate it. The steps are very helpful for short legged passengers.

Steve

A local builder put steps on his -9 intentionally. Apart from making the step up a little easier, it helps with giving looky-loos at fly-ins something other than your flaps to bang their shins on. After they hit the step, they are a little more careful about getting close to the flap.

The -9 came as a -9A project and already had the step brackets installed and holes in the skin, so the steps were installed in the taildragger version.

Clearance is fine - no issues. Find them useful when going up (and more so with the old, young, or short people) but I find them awkward to use going down. The geometry is such that it's hard to miss the flap trailing edge when you're aiming for the step as you step down. I generally go straight from wing walk to the ground on the dismount, and I always advise my passengers to do the same.

- But... Flaps are different on the -9 than on the short-wing airplanes, so this may be part of the issue.

I like flaps down for mount dismount on the -7, but flaps up on the -9.

I am converting a 7a to a 7. The project had steps installed. I am wondering if they will be useful and worth the extra weight or should I take them off. I have not had the opportunity to be around RVs enough to know or have an opinion. Also not sure if ground clearance would be an issue. Can anyone advise?

Several years ago I installed a step on the passenger side of my RV-6. One of my passengers was having an increasingly difficult time, especially the step from the wing to the ground.

But the standard step was too long, too close to the ground and just looked goofy. I cut three inches out of the step, put a piece of 4130 tubing inside the streamline tubing for reinforcement, and welded everything back together. The step is now positioned halfway between the ground and wing and looks like it fits the plane.

I asked Vans if they could have their vendor make a few of these "taildragger" steps, I think the increasing average age of RVers would sell a few sets each year. They didn't think too much of my suggestion but I suspect Russ McCutcheon could set up a jig and weld up a few if we asked.

One of my friends with an RV-6 purchased a folding step for his girlfriend so that she can have an easier time getting in his airplane.

I liked it so much, I purchased one to help my 82-year old mother get in and out of my RV-6 for her first trip with me in the airplane to AirVenture 2013.

The step folded and ready to go in the airplane.

The step setup ready to help any PAX in or out of the airplane.

We use one of these also. I put a small lanyard on it so the wife can pull it up after she steps on the wing....works great

on my A model i am down to one on the copilot side. the other was removed years ago when it started cracking at the angle. when i feel old i board on the right side, but usually the knee building exercise helps when i feel great and go up my side. choices are good. :rolleyes:
img0898aw.jpg

Back