What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Rudder/pedal extensions

vickytori

Has anyone figured out a good way for us not overly tall (almost 5 foot:rolleyes:) pilots to safely fix the rudder peddles so we can push full rudder? Abbey made me some booster cushions (which are amazing!) bottom and back, but I'm still a little short of full rudder unless I slump in my seat.

I added another hinge half 2 inches or so forward of the original pair. Not only did it make it very comfortable to reach the rudder pedals, because of my large belly that revised position of the seat back made my seat far more comfortable (I have to worry about falling asleep now)

Has anyone figured out a good way for us not overly tall (almost 5 foot:rolleyes:) pilots to safely fix the rudder peddles so we can push full rudder? Abbey made me some booster cushions (which are amazing!) bottom and back, but I'm still a little short of full rudder unless I slump in my seat.

I asked about that exact same thing in Sebring of 2012, and the Vans rep. there said that the RV-12 doesn't need it because apparently shorter people than myself (I'm 5'4) are able to reach the peddles.

Which I say balderdash to, so an rudder peddle extension would be very much welcomed.

Good info on this is available...

You can turn up some good info about this by using the search function. Here is one good post from a builder in England, with pictures:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=687757&postcount=8
i-6k7XhVH-L.jpg

Thanks Tony for the providing a link to my post - saved me hunting it down! :)

Vicky, one of my co-owners is 5' 3" ish and she is happy with a cushion behind, the pedal extensions and the extended seat back support. I'm 5' 8" and my other co-owner a tad taller and we fly with the extensions in place and standard cushions. Extensions don't require any modification to the standard pedals.

PM me if you'd like more info on the pedal extensions - open offer to every of 'near normal' height..... ;)

My solution

Vicky, look in some previous posts on the subject. The solution I had for my wife's 5'3" vertically challenged situation was similar in part to yours: A 4 to 5" thick pad from Abby. In addition, I put my router to work to mill some extension pedals out of UHMW (same sorda plastic as the black rudder pedals) some strap-on extensions. They strap firmly in place with some vecro straps. I opted for this so that my wife could take them with her, which has proven useful for her transition training with Jetguy in Denton TX. Here are the pictures in my kitlog http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=RobertReese&project=795&category=0&log=119181&row=1

I thought jetguy posted a picture of them installed, but I haven't located the posting

Back