What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Mountain EFIS Lite

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
Quick question; at what price would it be worthwhile considering the purchase of a working Gen 3 EFIS Lite with autopilot controller and 2 servos?

I'm scratching my head on this one, as there is one available that might be cheap enough that I wouldn't kill myself if it rolled over and died in a year or two. Plus I might be able to sell the autopilot stuff since I'm quite happy with my Digitrack. Thoughts?

I am currently running a BMA lite plus gen 4 in my Lancair. It works well. I fly with it IFR. There was a time it did not work well. It rolled inverted in IMC. I took it back to Greg at BMA, he replaced the accelerometers and it has worked fine since. Greg advised me the accelerometers are easily damaged by shock such as a dropped package during shipping. To my knowledge there currently is no service available for these units. Once it goes belly up it is a disposable item.

Quick question; at what price would it be worthwhile considering the purchase of a working Gen 3 EFIS Lite with autopilot controller and 2 servos?

I'm scratching my head on this one, as there is one available that might be cheap enough that I wouldn't kill myself if it rolled over and died in a year or two. Plus I might be able to sell the autopilot stuff since I'm quite happy with my Digitrack. Thoughts?

I'm assuming you are referring to the price you are going to charge the owner in order to haul off the BMA stuff? :confused:

Honestly, there isn't a price that is worth the time and expense to install it, when you'll be retrofitting it with something else before long anyway. If price is a concern, the Dynon Legacy products are hard to beat...otherwise just about anything will be a better investment. Not to be sarcastic, but this is definately one of those things that would end up being Pennywise and Poundfoolish.

Just my 2 cents as usual!
Cheers,
Stein

Traded My BM Sport for GR Horizon

I feel like I made off like a bandit as Grand Rapids gave me $1000 off the
Horizon HX for my BM Sport. The thing never worked right, it did
not show level in my garage. To this day, if I did a steep turn, it would
take forever to get back to level. The best it ever worked was after a friend
showed me how to do aileron rolls, and it worked fine for a short while.

Funny Grand Rapids did not require I send the unit in before I got the Horizon. They said send it in when it is convenient.

S S Anderson
RV 7A 250 hours.

Talk about a moot point; that unit is on ebay, and it's now been bid up to $1275 with a day to go on the auction:eek:. When I originally started this thread, I thought it might go for a few hundred bucks; at the price it's at now, I would never have even posed the question. Wow.

You said it

I've been watching the same item on eBay. I'm still using the old Gen 1 EFIS Lite in my RV-4 and it's still going strong. I was hoping this one would go cheap so I could pick it up as a plug-and-play back up, but not at that price!

Somebody out there must think it's worth it...

-Matt
402BD

Had 2 of these in a Lancair. Never felt flying behind them - very squirrely. I would NEVER depend on these for IFR - period. Enough said

FS: Blue Mountain EFIS G3 Lite

I have flown many hours of IMC behind my Blue Mountain EFIS G3 Lite with it paired with my Garmin 420 and SL-30 for approach display. I am now updating my panel with an AFS 5500 to replace the G3 Lite and the Rocky Mountain Engine Monitor. So, the BMA G3 Lite is for sale with its Magnetometer and GPS antenna.

Back