What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chris Sands RV-7

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
Great looking paint job! We want to see more views. I'd like to see a picture from the rear left side, showing the top of the wing and the n-number area. Where was it painted?

knew it

didnt think those pix could be posted without illiciting a response!

That is one extraordinary looking RV! The interior and panel just top it off.

I went for the "spartan military look" on my 6 and this contrast really sets the counterpoint to "spartan".

WOW!!

PS - Brian, I think that your 7 may be an example of the best of the breed - RV200 prop, extended hub, SJ cowling/plenum, IO 360, forward sump, ram air - all the best goodies. I suspect it is fast and I know it is gorgeous - well done!!

Last edited:
When I saw this, I thought it was a painting, and not a photo.

Took a bit of detail examining to convince myself it was an actual photo.

difgy934hhgg.jpg

Simply amazing work.

Love the hint of checkers on the tail. How is that accomplished? Transluscent color over white & silver?

HDR

This is definitely a gorgeous airplane. I don't want to take anything away from it as an airplane.

I must point out, though, that the photograph is accomplished with an artistic technique called High Dynamic Range (HDR) manipulation, which gives it its ethereal, "unreal" look.

In HDR, multiple shots are taken at various exposure settings, then the images are combined into one.

So it's a fabulous shot and a wonderful paint scheme, and all that. I'd love to see the airplane in a non-HDR photo, just for reference! :)

I love HDR photography, when done right (like yours) it can produce amazing results.

Did you use photomatix?

Where's the original post or where you are finding out about this? Nice paint job. Any info on the painter/shop? Any build info on the plane or other interior/exterior shots? Where's the sales price? :D I'll offer free storage and my first born in exchange for occasional usage... Someone help me build a -4 with this paint scheme...

The center console/cup holder was custom done by Chris himself on this plane(we did something similar on ours some years ago: http://www.steinair.com/images/panels4.jpg). You simply build a console over the fuel pump doghouse...perfect use for that area and perfect storage for your bottles of soda or water!

The silver things above the pilot elbow are the canopy latch's.

The panel is a custom carbon fiber panel that was fabricated and covered in leather by Chris.

The airplane is exceptional and I believe it'll be for sale at some point - so if you really like it, you could own it!

Cheers,
Stein

Sands RV-7

OK Ok... I will try to answer all the questions. I never expected such I positive response. Thanks everyone for your positive feedback!!! First of all I will post more photos by Monday, or if someone can help me maybe sooner on this forum. [ed. In the works. dr] The photo was "Developed" using the HDR as stated, which looks pretty cool, but the base color is white not the silver look in the photo. The developing and the way the light hit it in the photo made it look more silver, which did give me an idea for the next paint scheme!!! It was painted locally here in Chandler AZ by a friend who paints cars. He did a really nice job. The checkers on the tail is a ghostly effect by adding more pearl to the paint and fading it in. The weight is 1145#, slightly heavier than the norm, but there is a lot of bits and pieces that went into it to make it a comfortable and well equipped plane. The sale price... Accepting offers, I am starting at $128K. I need to put food back on the table after this project. Actually look at what's into it, and that is a VERY nice price. Seriously, it is for sale. The center console and panel are custom built by myself. The panel is a little longer, 1" than standard, and it really isn't any harder to get in and out of... a little harder to squeeze under to work on things though. The chrome "Things" on the side are Attaway tip up canopy handles. ... What else??? Well thanks again, I hope to share more photos and answer any other questions!!!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
More info

Chris is my next door neighbor at Stellar airpark (P19). He will have much more detail Monday.

Regarding the HDR photos, trust me, the plane is much nicer in person. What you can't see is the detail of the panel. Stein did the main panel but Chris did the circuit breakers. The wiring is impeccable.

Quite some time ago we discussed making a cup holder console. He came up with this design and made a carbon fiber console then covered it in the same leather as the seats and panel.

There is so much more... Whoever gets this plane has a winner. If I wasn't into my project so deep, I'd buy it!!!!

The good news is, my new one will put this one to shame:rolleyes: I learned a lot from Chris.

RV-7

SteinAir did the avionics wiring for the AFS and radio stack. I did the rest of the panel and aircraft wiring. The panel is a custom panel I made based on the AFS-4500. It is a carbon panel wrapped in matching leather to the rest of the interior. There are only 4 panels like this but more could be made...

Chris

Chris, can you share the details of whats under the hood and the prop it's swinging? Any more pictures? I'm trying to convince someone to not pass this thing up.

RV-7

Just finished the build. The plane is equipped with an ECi IO-360, and Whirlwind RV-200 Propeller up front. The stack consists of GMA 340 Audio Panel, GNS-430 Com/Nav/GPS, SL40 Com, GTX-330 Transponder, Dual AFS 4500 EFIS/Engine, AFS/TruTrak Autopilot, XM weather (not activated), AOA, Synthetic Vision, mapping Software mounted on a custom leather wrapped panel. Full Classic Aero Designs "Aviator" interior and custom leather covered fuel pump container including cup holders.

Chris,

Do me a favor. I'll be in Chandler visiting semiconductor customers the first part of February. I drive right past Stellar Airpark.

Please keep that thing in the hangar so I don't crash my rental car as I drive by that area.

One of the nicest sevens I've seen! Hope I can come even close to that someday with my project.

... Full Classic Aero Designs "Aviator" interior and custom leather covered fuel pump container including cup holders.

Did you go with Leather/Vinyl option for the side panels or their Ultra Leather?

You have one incredible looking plane! Great Job!

RV-7

I went with leather seats, and most of the sides are Vinyl. Per Aeroclassics advice. The leather or Ultra-leather do not take to the contours very well. There isn't much of a difference unless you are under florescent lighting which makes everything look a different color.

Chris

What process is involved...

...in custom building a panel that looks like that? And am I correct in understanding that the side panels are from Aero Classics, but are not available for the RV8? If that's the case, what would be involved in a custom build of side panels?

Thanks to Chris, I've had my eyes opened to how much difference a really well done interior can make to the overall impression of an aircraft - and I had come to accept that there was not really all that much that could be done to the traditional, spartan interiors other than paint them milspec gray... no criticism intended of other aircraft, but I've never seen a cockpit, production, experimental or otherwise that looks like *that* before, and I like it. A lot. Way to set the bar!!

This is definitely a gorgeous airplane. I don't want to take anything away from it as an airplane.

I must point out, though, that the photograph is accomplished with an artistic technique called High Dynamic Range (HDR) manipulation, which gives it its ethereal, "unreal" look.

I must protest (and I realize its futile as this is universally misused on the internet):
Its not HDR... it is LDR with tone-mapped exposure levels. Jpeg and pretty much any standard internet image that has been tone-mapped is by definition NOT HDR. You need special viewers to slice dynamic range to see true HDR images as most computer monitors can't display the true dynamic range of an HDR image.

NICE plane, though!

Simple end to the debate...

I must protest (and I realize its futile as this is universally misused on the internet):
Its not HDR... it is LDR with tone-mapped exposure levels. Jpeg and pretty much any standard internet image that has been tone-mapped is by definition NOT HDR. You need special viewers to slice dynamic range to see true HDR images as most computer monitors can't display the true dynamic range of an HDR image.

NICE plane, though!

Just post the un-retouched photo. I expect we'd see a fantastic RV7 with a uber snazzy paint job. Sure, we'd see that there actually IS a line where the upper gear intersection fairings join the fuse/leg, and the colour may be a touch less brilliant, but that won't change the fact that it is a darn nice plane.

Its not HDR... it is LDR with tone-mapped exposure levels.

I stand corrected... If that's a single exposure, then it's LDR and somebody did a nice job with it! Kudos to the photographer as well as the builder!

No you won't!!

Just post the un-retouched photo. I expect we'd see a fantastic RV7 with a uber snazzy paint job. Sure, we'd see that there actually IS a line where the upper gear intersection fairings join the fuse/leg, and the colour may be a touch less brilliant, but that won't change the fact that it is a darn nice plane.

I don't want to step on Chris's thunder here, but you won't see the line where the intersection fairings meet the fuselage. There isn't one. He molded the front half to the cowl and the rear half to the fuselage.

I did this with my 7 but with the snorkel it made removing the cowl tough. Chris's 7 has horizontal induction so the cowl is easily dropped down with no snorkel to interfere.

Wait till Monday. You'll be blown away at the detail of this plane.

RV-7

More Photos should post tomorrow, (Monday) The one photo is "Painterly" or re-touched to look more like a painting. I didn't know that until the photographer explained it to me. I just thought the colors were a little re-touched a bit too much. I build planes, not take photos... I think its a really cool photo though.

Chris

I build planes, not take photos... I think its a really cool photo though.

Let me just say, I'm glad you build planes instead of take pictures Chris. Though the picture is cool, I'd much rather have the plane!

Awesome work.

Saw it in person yesterday, it was awesome. Chris is quite the artist. Looking forward to seeing it buzzing my house!

-Ron

Just saw the "For Sale" Sign

Chris: Just saw the For Sale sign this morning when I checked-in on VAF. I just want to say (at least on first look - prior to a pre-purchase inspection to verify structural quality, wiring etc.), your aircraft appears to be worth every single penny of the $129,000 price tag. I wish I had the cash on hand to meet the price right now, but I am still in the saving mode, well on the way, but not there yet . . . I just wanted to congratulate you on your accomplishment . . . some lucky person is going to be a very happy RV-7 owner.

Back