What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D digital model

jcbarker

Well Known Member
Does anyone one know where I can get a 3D digital model of the RV-8? I can use any CAD format. We want to create 3D renderings of paint schemes. I've seen this posted before but it was a long time ago. I thought there might be some updates.
Thanks in advance,
JB
N819WB 50 hours.
Still in bare metal.

Thanks Bob,

I'll play around with that. However, what I'm really looking for is a set of surfaces for the -8 that I can import into a 3D modeling package to create photo realistic renderings. Any help in pointing me to a source would be appreciated. I am willing to pay for the files if the source is legit. I'm not going to encourage pirated files.

Thanks,

JB

I'll play around with that. However, what I'm really looking for is a set of surfaces for the -8 that I can import into a 3D modeling package to create photo realistic renderings. Any help in pointing me to a source would be appreciated. I am willing to pay for the files if the source is legit. I'm not going to encourage pirated files.
You'll probably understand that Van wouldn't want to give out digital surfaces for their aircraft, as it gives a competitor a means of reverse engineering. That being said, there is a Flight-Sim model which should be close enough for what you need. It's not quite in proportion if I recall... I think it was designed as an RC model not full-scale. I've seen it as a Solidworks file, but don't remember where.

You'll probably understand that Van wouldn't want to give out digital surfaces for their aircraft, as it gives a competitor a means of reverse engineering.

With gentle respect, reverse engineering is probably not that dependent on a CG model when you can buy kits and plans showing every detail... :)

But your post reminds me of the (possibly even true!) story told to me by a senior VP of Hawker Beechcraft about what happened to the first King Air sold into China. Landed, taxied into a hanger, and within 24 hours was in pieces...

Thanks Jim. Do I need to have FS-X to use this file? Are colors and textures created within the FS program?

Hi Rob,
Yes, I've considered that. Consequently I've been reluctant to ask Ken Kreuger (sp) at Van's for the files. If I strike out elsewhere I'll give him a call.

Back