What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire route and method to tail

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am starting my wiring soon and need to get the tail done first so I can rivet on the turtle deck. The canopy needs to get done this summer when it is warm. So I was wondering how you other RV-8 builders ran the wires to the tail for the elevator trim and tail light.

As far as the power busses go, I know Van's shows them attaching to the rear side of the rear baggage wall, and some put in an access door here. The instruments I am putting in I think is going to make for a tight fit back there. It seems like a better location would be in order for the power busses. I was thinking of a wall that runs from the right mid cabin console up to the sloped console. It would be hinged at the bottom so it would lay open. I can then put power buss and CBs on this panel. The RV-8A has a long mid-cabin console, I would mod the existing panel and make a totally flat one to replace the stock panel. I would like some feedback on this idea or photos from anyone has tried something similar.

Thanks for any help, I am open to any and all ideas, I copy much better than I design.

tail wires

for getting wires way in back, I used the (existing?) holes in the bulkheads. plastic grommets used for chafe protection. fasten the bundles often (every couple feet at least). and think about provisional wiring for later (ap servo, elt, stab cam, etc).

I was thinking of a wall that runs from the right mid cabin console up to the sloped console. It would be hinged at the bottom so it would lay open......Thanks for any help, I am open to any and all ideas, I copy much better than I design.
I concentrated almost all the electrical circuits into an enclosed console. Paul's excellent example fitted to "Valkyrie" was a major influence that fired my creative juices. The result was a modification that represents my unique effort designed in large part to free up some precious real estate space on the instrument panel but I was also interested in ergonomics and cosmetic appeal. With little additional effort, I hinged the console for improved open access. It contains almost all the circuit breakers and key switched functions such as boost pump and light circuits. The console integrates and includes the ELT remote indicator, intercom, even a Hobbs type meter. In addition, I mounted the flap relay deck and a terminal board for use with the pilot and passenger Infinity joystick grips behind the console using dimpled screw holes through the side skin to attach the components. Also hidden from view behind the console is the MK-111 speed controller for the elevator trim and the joystick relay for the electric aileron trim function. I mounted those components on the gear tower. I am pleased with the way it all turned out.

2ngwvt0.jpg

Nice work

I'm working on the same path,

take a look to this, I promise you that tomorrow will send you other pics

my 2 cents

http://www.rv8.it/log/electrical_system/index.html

Luke,

Thanks for the photos, I was not thinking of conduit. I also like the tray for the Dynon compass.

How far are you from Venice? I have a trip there next month, I am only there for 24 hours (airline layover) but if I can get there by train I would love to see your porject. I am on holiday in Venice for 2 days in September before going to Amalfi maybe then.

Ciao

Update

Mike

latest 10 photos are today work.

http://www.rv8.it/log/electrical_wiring/index.html

Some considerations :

- I don't like the conduit but my Italian Faa Controller likes; you can see the blue conduit instead of corrrugated, I changed because van's corrugated burn very well and (for my faa controller) it keep moisture ... Experimental job is not so easy than in Usa ;o)

- in the left side of fuselage I've the Dynon OAT mounted under the tail (HS); the OAT wire does a stop into the Dynon remote compas and then go into the conduit with Ray Allen electric trim five wire bundle and static tube;

- in the right side I came from tail with : elt antenna (under the fairing - I don't know if the new 406 elt antenna need a more clear sky view), strobe shielded wire, +12v of the nav white, the power supply of the strobe lights is mounted as per picture); from the power supply I run the left/wing strobe shielded wire with the +12&gnd of the strobe unit into the conduit.

- probably I'll cross (right to left) the fuselage for the left strobe wing light and nav from the hole into the floor for rear vent ... but I'm brainstorming about

Hope my english is ok, check your pm for july 15.

Ciao

Bringing this to the top in hopes of seeing the route people are taking to get wires and static front to back with working pictures and links? I'm using all Garmin with AP, GMU 11 in the tail, and ELT mounted to the right of the pitch servo.

Last edited:
In a general sense, my wiring runs out from the panel area on the right side, down the right gear tower, through the spar on the right side, through conduit under the seat floors back to behind the baggage area. From there it splits, one branch moving laterally in front of the avionics shelf I built, the other continuing aft to the tail.

Wire bundle coming through the spar to the area of the right rear footwell, and entering the conduit. Notice here the bundle also splits to go across to the left side for wing connections and such:

img_2245-1024x768.jpg

Bundle exiting the conduit; this will be just aft of the baggage skin once it's installed. You can see how the bundle branches right to serve the shelf, and left to connect the ELT and then proceed aft:

img_2271-1024x768.jpg

Different angle of the rear avionics shelf wiring. Notice there's also a branch that goes forward, under the right armrest; this will serve the rear headset jacks and charge port:

img_2273-1024x768.jpg

Further aft, the bundle uses the preexisting bulkhead holes up under the longeron:

img_2467-1024x768.jpg

I don't have any static line routing to show, since my static lines just go to the Dynon ADAHRS in the tail, but the pitot/AoA line routing may be somewhat instructive. Those lines are routed forward and down along the left skin, to pass under the avionics shelf:

img_2556-1024x768.jpg

Then on forward along the bottom skin, through bulkheads as required:

img_2554-1024x768.jpg

img_2553-1024x768.jpg

Of course, since these just have to go to the left wing, that's where the fun ends. You could do this with a static line, and route it through the spar and up the left gear tower, or you could also use the prepunched holes high under the left longeron to route it forward. Honestly the latter is probably better suited to running a static line to the panel.

Thank you Phillip, this is exactly what I was looking for. It looks like you added the holes for the right side conduit under the floor to mirror the existing ones on the left?

Yup, I put in conduit runs on both sides. I know I had to make holes on one side, though I don't recall specifically that it was the right, and I'm not finding the relevant build log entry off the bat.

The right side is my main wiring route, and honestly it's so full that I'm skeptical that I'd ever pull any additional wires through for retrofit work later on. The left side is mainly there "just in case," but at the moment it does house a coax run from the ADS-B receiver on the rear avionics shelf to the antenna mounted just in front of the rear seat.

Back