What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I wear pants?

AAflyer

Well Known Member
Planning my first trip to OSH and plan on spending a few nights in HBC. Should I come WITH, or WITHOUT my wheel pants?
I have the "newer" pants on my -8, and have not operated off of grass, yet.
Thanks,

Planning my first trip to OSH and plan on spending a few nights in HBC. Should I come WITH, or WITHOUT my wheel pants?
I have the "newer" pants on my -8, and have not operated off of grass, yet.
Thanks,

With. The small amount of taxiing over grass won't be an issue for your wheel pants. I park on some 16"X1/2"squares of plywood to keep from sinking into the ground (Jerry hasn't posted field conditions yet but WI has had a wet summer to this point so the ground might be pretty soft).

Good Idea about the shoring! Will have to make some for the trip. I operate out of a grass strip and the only thing that has busted up my pants is the transistion from grass to pavement. I should have known better, doing some glass work tonight so I can keep my pants on at OSH!LOL

Always cross from grass to hard surface at an angle. Easy to do even in narrow places. Will save you a lot of grief.. Put you pants on and have a great trip.

If You Know Anyone Going in a Day of Two Ahead..

You may want to call and see if you can get a grass/turf report. Some pants are cut with very little clearance, which could be a problem if the grass is long. Nothing wrong with going "commando" if you want to protect your equipment.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I'll get dressed!

Thanks, guys.

I'll stay tuned for weather and field reports, but I'll plan on keeping my pants on!

See you at the RV reception Monday!!
:D

You can come as you are, and will always be welcome! However, an RV-8 pilot in our area that we fly formation with has the nickname "NoPants" because his airplane does not have them (yet!).

You can come as you are, and will always be welcome! However, an RV-8 pilot in our area that we fly formation with has the nickname "NoPants" because his airplane does not have them (yet!).

Similarly, in Falcon Flight, we have "Shorts".

Be careful about showing up not fully dressed...

Back