What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good Bye and blue skies Bob Hoover

My Memory

1997 in a crowded Burger King at McCarron Airport I could not help but tap him on the shoulder because he was directly in front of me with his tray. I couldn't think of anything better to open the conversation than "Jimmy Doolittle said you were the best Stick and Rudder Man who ever lived." He gave a wide smile and the conversation ensued. He invited me to his table where it was one-on-one for the next 30 minutes over two Whoppers, talking about everything aviation. I asked for his autograph as we parted and he said "I'll do one better." He wrote my address on a napkin and I received a box of Bob Hoover Memorabilia one week later. It even included his business Card to Enstrom West and a note that said, "stay in touch." What a Gentleman.

Dan, you truly are THE MAN!!

No. Mr. Hoover was the man...a truly fine man.

I've previously told the story about Patti calling around to see about obtaining an autographed copy of Forever Flying. She left a number with someone, and then more or less forgot about it. Days later the phone rang in the kitchen. It was Hoover, calling personally to ask how she would like the book inscribed.

He stayed on the phone with her for 45 minutes, just talking. Did she like to fly? What sort of airplane did we have? Did she like Oshkosh? Patti said he was sincerely interested, and absolutely charming.

There are lots of guys who are very good sticks. Not many of those guys, at the peak of their profession, would take the time to call, just so a wife he had never met could obtain a birthday present for her husband. And how many would want to hear her airplane stories?

Mr. Hoover may or may not have taught me about flying, but he did teach me something about being a man.

Last edited:
how does one approach a legend

Sadly, one of them is Bob Hoover. I had plenty of opportunities at Oshkosh. But it was Bob Hoover and who the heck am I?

I'll add to this... In the late 90's, not sure the exact date I saw Bob's routine in the Shrike at the Hillsboro Airshow in Oregon. After his routine his plane was parked back in the static section and he would stand in front in his straw hat to answer any questions.

Seems he was there for hours. I remember pacing back and forth in front of his plane trying to work up the nerve to introduce myself. Like Bob Collins I too was too shy and star struck to strike up a conversation w/him. I've always regretted that and wish I could go back and replay that one a bit differently.

I had the pleasure of shaking Bob Hoover's hand at OSH one year, and I'm not kidding, some must have rubbed off - my landings were so much better after that. Super guy, someone to emulate.

Seems like Bob Hoover touched a lot of people in a personal way. He was that kind of human. Always friendly and available with good spirit.

I sat next to him in first class on a TWA 727 flight from OKC to LAX for a few minutes many years ago. The flight was nearly empty and he was only pax up front, we took turns going back to visit with him. He was very amicable, humble and just nice guy. Usually when such was the circumstance with celebrities, they invited themselves up front to jump seat. Bob Hoover did not.

I knew he was life long friend of Bevo Howard, the owner of the USAF contract school I attended as an aviation cadet. We talked about the accident that killed Bevo Howard, he was adamant the NTSB had it all wrong blaming pilot error. He insisted he was killed by black widow spiders, there were bite marks all over his neck that were ignored. The airplane had sat on ground for six weeks before the last flight.

Anyway, he was a very special person and will be missed by all of us.

Back