What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PCU5000?..Price Cutting thru Unity 5000

Skykingbob

Well Known Member
Hello fellow builders. I don’t know about everyone else, but during the building of my RV8, I keep my eye out to save $$ wherever I can. I want to see if a number of us builders (or those already flying, who might need a new governor) would consider banding together and getting in on the offer that Chris Hutchings from Aircraft Propeller Service has put together for our VAF group.

The company has posted price targets based on how many sign up for the units. I like the free market…. Is this post somewhat self-serving....yes...I want to get as much savings as I can for my project and thought if folks chime in on a thread of interested buyers it may result in the benefit of all involved ($1550 normally - $1085 potentially!). That is saving some decent $$$$ and getting great value for a quality product!

Chris says it is a smaller, lighter weight unit than many production governors. It responds quicker to inputs because it is designed with higher oil flow. Also, a certified governor will cost almost as much....or more than the purchase price when it is time to overhaul it - whereas, the PCU5000 is made to be rebuilt more economically than others.

My reasoning is this: I WILL have a constant speed prop.....I WILL need a governor....I WILL be buying a governor. I know PCU5000 is an American company (since 1953...which I buy American as much as possible) and a VAF advertiser . I am just now ordering my finishing kit….but it is still worth buying now to save some good money for other items I need for my project!

So maybe we can Price Cut thru Unity!

Here is his post PCU 5000 Post: (Check it out!)

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=130421&highlight=PCU5000

Last edited by a moderator:
Governor

I sent Chris an email last week to get in on the group buy. Hopefully there will be a lot of us.

Got a gov

Ive got a gov already but its hugh and hardly fits. I hate spending money when its not necessarey but you make a compelling case of supporting a local manufacturer. I'll check into this if it isn't too late.
Thanks for the post!
Cj

Aerobatic PCU 5000 Governor Available - 220 hrs since new

Not to hijack the thread...

If anyone is looking for the Aerobatic version of the PCU 5000 I have one for sale! Works perfectly, recently removed because I switched from an acro prop to a Hartzell BA prop.

I contacted Chris about converting it to the non-acro configuration and he said it was not economically viable (better to buy new!).

Contact me if interested, I will make you a good deal. It is not doing anyone any good in the box on the shelf!

Bill York
[email protected]
602 677 1377 cell

Is this the same governor Van's will be selling for the RV-14? Is this price expected to be better than Van's kit price?

UPDATE....lets keep pushing!

I emailed Chris Friday...he said currently 16 on list. Lets try to get
another 4 so we can get the next step discount:)

Like I say....if you need a governor we may as well get it with a
group and save $$$;)

Any other pireps on the PCU 5000?

I am very interested in this governor - and in this group buy! :D I have seen some older posts from PCU 5000 users and the feedback was positive. Any current users want to share some feedback? What say you PCU users? :)

Been flying behind mine for 9 months now. Works great, light weight, easy to install. Nothing but positive experiences so far.

Love the PCU5000

I originally was going to use a Woodward gov but got a great deal on a new PCU5000. Been flying it in my RV-4FB now since 2009. It has performed very precisely and smoothly in all phases of flight, including aerobatics. I think it's the best governor out there.

PCU5000 RV-10

A friend of mine has one on a rocket and a Ravin, both with IO-540s. I have one in my Glastar and I've added my name to the list for one for my RV-10 project. They are great governors, the design same as the Jihostroj units.

Ensure you add which IO-540 you have when you order. The IO-540 engines have a different drive ratio for the narrow deck and wide deck variants.

I'm in

I'm in need of a governor for my RV-10 project with an IO-540-C4B5. I had planned on the Hartzell that Van's sells for the IO-540 but will go this route instead if it hits 15. 20+ would be much better though. I sent Chris the order form and added myself to the list.

Last edited:
17 on the list

I was the 17th on the list btw. Would be nice to get 3 more to drop the price to the next tier :)

18th on the list

Thanks for the feedback Jeremy, JJ, Rick, Scott and Colin ? makes this decision a lot easier. I just sent Chris my order form, so I am thinking I am 18th on the list. Just need 2 more to get to the next tier discount! :D

Hi Guys,
Chris from the group buy. Just wanted to update you. We are now up to 19 units. 6 more and you reach the end zone ($1085 a piece).

Thank you all for the orders and spread the word. It's in everyone's best interest.

Chris

P.S.
Thank you all for the great reviews you mentioned below.

Nov 6 deadline!

Hey everyone just a reminder that the offer ends Nov 6th. We have seen great response as per Chris in the post above. If you are going to need a great governor the price can be dropped one more level if we can get 6 more folks to jump in. We have been using the "inverse law of supply and demand" theory that is the more that buy the lower the cost and greater the savings$$$$$!

So save the $$$$ now as and join the group!

I'm in to buy one but have some questions for the group so I can fill out the specification sheet. I have a Lycoming IO-360-C1A, which has the governor drive on the accessory case.

1. Chris at Aero Technologies says I need a 866:1 ratio. Can anyone verify?

2. I don't know if the drive shaft for the governor turns clockwise or counter-clockwise facing the mounting base of the governor.

3. Control lever rotation from facing the head. I am pretty sure this is counter clockwise.

4. Control lever clocking. I think it should be about 2 o-clock.

If anyone can help with these, I'll send in my order and be number 20.

Okay, I'll nibble

...tell me to get lost if that's how it is :rolleyes:

Just bought a semi-QB 10 kit. Anticipate two years to finish. 3 may be more realistic (work alone, haven't built an RV since '98). I will need a governor for the IO-540 eventually. Wondering if I have any business buying one now at the discount price and shelving it for 30-36 months. Opportunity cost of capital and all that. I like discounts and group buys as much as the next guy, but just not sure this is my time.

Any way to get a deposit in, help the group cause, and take delivery way later on???

-Stormy

Contact Chris

I'm in to buy one but have some questions for the group so I can fill out the specification sheet. I have a Lycoming IO-360-C1A, which has the governor drive on the accessory case.

2. I don't know if the drive shaft for the governor turns clockwise or counter-clockwise facing the mounting base of the governor.

3. Control lever rotation from facing the head. I am pretty sure this is counter clockwise.

Hey Mike,

Get up with Chris Hutchings at Aircraft Propeller they will assist us with making sure the gov is set up properly prior to assembling for us. There are a number of us that need to get the final settings. That will be determined and set up with APS help. Welcome to the group buy:)

Chris if very helpful....here is his info:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: D: +1 224-676-6911
O: +1 847-541-1133 EXT 111
C: +1 847-804-3321

Hey Bill...

...tell me to get lost if that's how it is :rolleyes:

Just bought a semi-QB 10 kit. Anticipate two years to finish. 3 may be more realistic (work alone, haven't built an RV since '98). I will need a governor for the IO-540 eventually. Wondering if I have any business buying one now at the discount price and shelving it for 30-36 months. Opportunity cost of capital and all that. I like discounts and group buys as much as the next guy, but just not sure this is my time.

Any way to get a deposit in, help the group cause, and take delivery way later on???

-Stormy

Hey Bill,

I anticipate a 2 year finish....or a little longer....I am not too worried about letting it sit on the shelf for that period personally....but that's my opinion...if we get the price reduction with indexed inflation and such I believe it will be a bargain in any case. IMHO. I asked Chris that question and he said if it potentially sat for 5 years.....it MAY want to consider an overhaul of
any seals. I personally would not do so unless it was installed and had a
issue....you can contact him with the info listed in the above post and see if he will wait for a period....but if their parts cost go up it may not work out to be equitable.

Thanks for looking into the group buy with us!!!

Hey Mike,

Get up with Chris Hutchings at Aircraft Propeller they will assist us with making sure the gov is set up properly prior to assembling for us. There are a number of us that need to get the final settings. That will be determined and set up with APS help. Welcome to the group buy:)

Chris if very helpful....here is his info:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: D: +1 224-676-6911

I talked with Chris Hutchings yesterday and he said I should ask on the forum for the answers to these questions. The only one he could help me on was the gear ratio. I would look at my engine but its about an hour and a half away, and I won't make it out there till after November 6.

Someone please jump in if I am wrong, but here is what I found after doing some research online to place my own order. I am by no means an authority on this, but I think I took enough notes to at least partially answer your questions. Keep in mind I was researching primarily for a narrow deck IO-540 to go on a -10 though:

1. Gear ratio:
-895 Lyc Narrow Deck front mount gov (<-- my application)
-947 Lyc Wide Deck front mount gov
-866 Lyc rear mount gov with individual mags*
*Not sure about different mag configurations/other variants

2. Clockwise drive for all(?) Lycoming. I'm guessing counter-rotating engines would be opposite, but I don't think many of us are running those.

3. Counter clockwise lever rotation, for all(?) Van's setups.

4. I believe clocking of the lever is user adjustable by loosening the six screws on the front and turning the unit to the proper orientation.

Additionally, "Pressure to increase pitch" is typical unless you have an aerobatic prop with counterweights that cause it to operate backwards from normal.

Hopefully this helps at least a little. I would recommend you double check your application though before ordering the wrong governor based on my amateur research :D... good luck!

Thanks Mike, That's the info I was looking for. I will double check and make sure this is correct for my engine, but now I can get hold of Chris and order. If I find anything different, I still have time to change it.

Thanks again
Mike T.

For those asking...

I hope I'm not overstepping what's proper, but I was concerned about long term storage as well. Chris sent me a service letter that states the following.

PROPELLER CONTROL UNIT OVERHAUL AND STORAGE REQUIREMENTS

1) Overhaul Requirements ?

a) Seven calendar years or TBO of the engine on which it is installed, not to exceed 2400 hours whichever

comes first, after entering service (engine installation and operation).

2) Long Term Storage of Propeller Control Units ? The following is applicable to new and overhauled Propeller

Control Units prior to entering service (engine installation and operation):

a). Storage must be in a clean dry environment, preferably above ground level, in the original shipping

carton to minimize exposure to dirt and moisture.

b). If storage period exceeds two (2) years, before entering service perform the following inspection:

1). Inspect externally for damage and corrosion. If greater than five (5) years, reseal and test.

2). Test run the Propeller Control Unit on a Propeller Control Unit test bench to

verify correct operation and to check for leakage. This must be accomplished by an FAA

approved Repair Station in accordance with the Propeller Control Unit Maintenance

Manual.

3) Sudden stoppage, lightning strike, propeller impact or metal contamination ?

a) Overhaul before return to service.

Latest update?

Curious, does anyone have an update on this or if we made it to 25 people yet? Looks like this Friday, 11/6/15, is the last day.

PCU 5000 update

Hello All,

I talked to Chris today and ordered my governor and he said I was number 24. Hopefully there will be a few more ordered before this ends tomorrow.

Robert

FANTASTIC!!!

I appreciate everyone that participated in the group buy - (sounds like) we brought this thing in at the minimum price - which is very good for all 25 of us!! :D

It ends today so, anyone else that joins today - already knows what the price is :)

REACHED BEST PRICE

Hello All,
we have reached the final price of $1085. Thank you to everyone that has already ordered. For those who haven't You have until Sunday to do so. From Monday 11/9 onwards we will start to compile the orders.

Regards,

Christopher Hutchings | Inside Sales Coordinator & Business Unit Manager
Aircraft Propeller Service LLC

D: +1 224-676-6911
E: [email protected]

rotation

Does anyone here actually remember which rotation they ordered for an RV-10 (IO-540), It gets confusing in that the Lycoming manual says the governor rotation is Clockwise looking at the engine pad. This would then mean we need a CCW governor, as the spec sheet says direction of rotation looking at the base of the governor pad on the governor. Correct?

Vic

Not yet. Just trying to figure things out. I don't think there is a need to panic yet. :).
Looking at the manufacture dates of the 3-4 failures discussed on the forum, they APPEAR to have been built/shipped around the same time, and they are just a liitle bit outside of the range of the SB.
Mine is a 2008 model that now has 1100 hours on it. I had it overhauled last
Fall when I did the Cylinder replacement on the engine, so I'm thinking it should be OK, both due to age and due to the recent overhaul.
Hopefully, we will see something forthcoming from MT if there is anything to be concerned about.

What I don't understand is that I can not find ANY other failures of these P 860-3 governors anywhere online. So, are there only 4 bad ones, and they were built/shipped at the same time? That still doesn't explain the hour difference on the failures. You would think that they would fail about the same time if it was a fatigue problem. Perhaps it is an assembly problem? Who knows. Hopefully we will find out.

Vic

Rotation

Hey Vic, from the MT Manual, the 6 in the p/n=pressure to increase pitch. CW facing the engine mounting pad. Blue Skys Barry

Yep, got all that. Trying to expalin it to the guy at APS was a challenge. CW on the Lycoming pad means CCW for the governor according to him.
Vic

Hi Vic, I went through the same gymnastics to figure out what all options needed to be checked when I ordered mine and came to the same conclusion.

-Governor drive is Clockwise and .895:1 for 6cyl narrow deck or .947:1 for 6cyl wide deck (note 4cyls are different)

-Control lever drive is Counter-clockwise (facing the head, as noted in the order form)

-Pressure to increase

Disclaimer: I haven't run this yet (still building) so I can't claim to be 100% positive, but all signs point towards this being the correct model. Hope this helps!

Mike, are you referring to the GOVERNOR as being CW or the engine governor pad?

I *believe* the governor drive is clockwise, when facing the base of the GOVERNOR. So, I guess facing the engine governor pad it would be counter-clockwise. But... see this is where I get confused. All I can tell you is after all the research I did, I ended up with this order form, and I was pretty sure about all the ticks in each of the boxes:

https://goo.gl/photos/bx7bJNQdDxoTYAT5A

If someone spots an error here, please feel free to speak up!

Back