What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings Install: Advice per Van's

Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
Listers,

Going thru the wing install, I had a conversation with Gus at Van's and he pointed me here...
http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_ Incidence.pdf

This is a valuable addition to the wing install instructions in the manual and I highly recommend you insert these pages in same, and read carefully whilst measuring the wings for sweep, incidence, etc. before drilling. I also found it valuable to use water levels or a digital level. Water levels tho, are even more accurate. I made mine from thin plastic tubing (AV dep't @ Home Depot of course).

Below is the text from Van's PDF for your convenience...

HTH,
Jerry Cochran

WING INCIDENCE DRILLING SIMPLIFIED
1: Don?t put in all of the wing attach bolts right away! You may have to remove
each wing a couple of times in this process. Just put in four bolts in a square
pattern for each wing. Don?t use the good bolts! Put in hardware store variety
and grease them and the holes in the spar to protect the spar and facilitate
insertion.
2: Once the wings are TEMPORARILY installed, level the fuselage laterally.
You want the two wings to be level left to right. Don?t simply rely on placing a
level across the longerons (they are hand bent and may have slight errors), put a
level on the top of the main spar center section as well. If the two agree, move
on to the next step, if not, average the two. A ?? or less height error at the wing
tip is close enough. Now check the forward sweep! Hang 2 plumb bobs on each
wing, one at the tip and one at the root (tank area). Then stretch a single long
string across the front of the these four plumb bobs. If there is no or minimal (get
real, less than ??) sweep fore or aft, then move on to #4 below. At the same
time, triangulate from each wing tip to some center point on the aft fuselage. The
two measurements should be the same (get real, within ?? or so will be fine)
3: If there is a sweep or triangulation problem STOP. The common reasons are:
A: The rear spar structure that sticks out of the fuselage is comprised of
two pieces of 1/8? aluminum bar. One piece ends up on the front side of the wing
rear spar stub and one is on the back side (where you can see it). The forward
piece OFTEN is too long and hits the wing root rib flange and prevents sufficient
insertion of the rear spar stub into the ?hand? of the fuselage (thus producing
forward sweep). If so, then remove the wing and cut off the minimum amount
required to correct for the sweep error. In general, if the tip of the wing is swept
forward 1? then trim 1/8? to ?? from the end of the bar.
B: Sometimes the culprit is the wing rear spar stub! If it is running into the
spacer block in the ?hand? of the fuselage, and that is all that is wrong, then
remove the wing and trim off as in ?A? above.
C: Sometimes it is both problems! Just be sure what the problem is
before you get too handy with the trimming!
4: If all is OK, then start the process with the bubble level of setting the wing
incidence. DON?T DRILL THE HOLE YET. There is more to this than you think.
The CRITICAL part of incidence is not so much the amount, but rather that both
wings have the same amount. Other factors to assess are the following:
A: The edge distance of the rear spar attach bolt is PARAMOUNT. 5/8?
from the center of the hole in ALL directions in ALL of the material it goes
through is the first consideration. Take a good look.
B: It was the hope of the designer that the flaps might fit once the wing is
installed! If you look at your flap, you will see that it has a bottom skin that
seems to want to go under the fuselage belly skin when the flap is UP. It is really
nice if this skin just kisses the bottom of the fuselage. Try putting the flaps on.
If you have edge distance met, the flaps fit well, the sweep is OK, the
triangulation is good, and incidence is set, TAKE A BREAK. Move off and away
from the airplane and take a look, you are very close to drilling a PILOT hole (say
1/8? or so) in the rear spar! IF you?re ready, go to instruction #6.
5: The only real problem you may have is that the incidence does not allow one
of the requirements above to be met. Try some of the advice below:
A: THE FLAPS ARE TOO HIGH TO GO UNDER THE FUSELAGE AND
YOU CAN?T RETRACT THEM TO AN ?IN TRAIL? POSITION. There are a
couple of solutions to this? one is to change the incidence of the wings (lower
the rear spar until they will). To a degree, this is OK but of course you must
retain that critical edge distance for the attach bolt. IF you can retain this
distance and not change the incidence too much (say a degree?) then what will
happen? The horizontal stabilizer may need to be repositioned. HOW, and
HOW MUCH? Clamp the wing spar in the new location, put Van?s block of wood
under the level, and raise the tail of the fuselage until the bubble centers. Now
check the horizontal for level fore and aft. Very likely you can?t measure the
change from its original position. IF you can and all else is OK then consider
changing the spacer under the front spar of the horizontal to correct it.
B: Another solution is to simply cut off the skin that would have been
under the fuselage. Now the flap will come up in trail and you will simply have an
uncovered hole showing in the fuselage bottom where the actuator push rod will
come out (unsightly but no big deal).
C: THE FLAPS ARE TOO LOW WHEN RETRACTED FOR THE
BOTTOM FLAP SKIN THAT UNDERLAPS THE FUSELAGE TO TOUCH THE
BELLY. Not a big deal but if everything else looks good and you don?t want to
raise the rear spar of the wing (thus reducing the wing incidence and maybe
losing the PARAMOUNT 5/8? bolt edge distance) then you can simply bend the
lower flap skin up a little until it ?kisses? the bottom of the fuselage.
6: Get ready to drill the hole! The toughest part of this is getting the hole
SQUARE to the surface of the material. Everything there in the rear spar attach
area is at a different angle to everything else. It is very hard to hold a drill
perpendicular by eye! Make a drill guide! Find a block of iron or aluminum at
least an 1? thick. and 2? square. On a drill press, drill a 1/8? hole through the
center of the block. Now you can clamp the block to the rear spar of the wing
and it will help to assure that the drill bit penetrates the surface perpendicularly.
7: Drill the hole to 1/8? diameter first! Put a cleco in and check everything
again, step back away from the plane and check again! Only then can you safely
drill the hole out to the correct size. A nice hole can be achieved by first drilling
an undersize hole and then, using a reamer, enlarge it to the final size.
8: During all of the above setup and machinations, DON?T FORGET the wing
root fairings. They can be marked and drilled during this fit up stage. The belly
skin of the fuselage can be marked and it?s hole locations identified during the
above processes as well. Also, look at and identify the transition points for the
fuel lines and vent lines from the tanks into the fuselage. This is a great time to
finish these details. How about the pitot line? Time to take a break!!

I fully agree on your statement on the water tube level. I just did it on mine as well and used the tube level with water for accurate wing tip height measurement.

"Going thru the wing install, I had a conversation with Gus at Van's and he pointed me here...

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_%20Incidence.pdf"

I get a "Page Not Found" off the Van's page for that link.

Drill guide

The Van's guide for drilling the rear spar to set the wing incidence suggests using a drill guide block that is made from 2" x 2" x 1" steel or aluminum block. A block this size would not fit in the gap between my wing root rib and the fuselage, it is more like 1.5" wide.
Instead, I used a piece of square steel tubing 30mm x 30mm to make a couple of drill guides and this worked well. I drilled a pilot hole 3/32" first, then drilled 19/64", finally reamed to 5/16" and the AN5 bolt is snug and square. The bullet shape mandrel in the pic is to align the 5/8" guide over the pilot hole. An advantage of using the tube instead of a solid block is being able to see the tip of the drilI.

Pics attached.

Attachments

• 20220712_160633.jpg
    20220712_160633.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 20220712_160802.jpg
    20220712_160802.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 20220712_160514.jpg
    20220712_160514.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 214
RV-10 Wing Sweep

Hello,

Before match drilling the rear spar attach point, I decided to measure the wing sweep. As mentioned in this thread, the directions are not in the RV-10 instructions. I emailed Vans and they said just match drill, but if I wanted to measure the sweep and incidence, go ahead.

Tonight I did that. I aligned the holes in the rear spar using 1/8 punches. I hung 4 plumb bobs off the leading edge of the wing. One at each tip and one at each wing root. I then took a piece of string and attached each end using heavy, yet movable objects, at each end of the wing. I moved one of the heavy objects until the horizontal string just made contact with the left wingtip plumb bob string. I did the same for the right wing. The result was that both wing root plumb bob strings are now forward the horizontal string by sting by 0.5 inches.

The good news is they are equal. The bad news is that the wings have some sweep. It looks like negative sweep, meaning the wing tips are aft of the wing root.

Is this acceptable? Should I try to move the wingtips forward to reduce the sweep before final drilling the aft spar attach bolt. I will be asking Vans as well

Last edited:
This is to be expected
The wings have some positive incidence when the fuselage is level. This puts the wing tip further aft than the wing root.
It is ignored on the shorter wing RV’s in the interest of simplicity, when drilling the rear spar attach points because it as a lesser amount with the shorter wing span.
I suggest following the instructions. That will make your RV-10 the same as all others and will help assure the wing root fairings fit correctly.

Back