What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KOSH Basler FBO

n700jl

Well Known Member
On a recent trip to Oshkosh a few weeks ago we stopped by Basler flight service for 30gallons of fuel and a quick trip into town for lunch. After checking in a the front desk we were told that they did not have a courtesy car and did not have anyone that could run us over in the van. After trying to figure out what to do we walked next door and had to rent a car from Hertz at $60 per hour! Needless to say we won't be back to Basler and we will not be buying fuel at AirVenture this year. I did check on airnav to see if they listed a courtesy car and they do. Seems like false advertising to me. So anyway don't expect the royal treatment at Basler if your in an RV. Thanks!

1.Full service 100LL and Jet-A fuels
2.Self service 100LL 24 hours a day. Pumps located on the north end of the field, west of the Basler FBO office. All major credit cards accepted
3.Aircraft parking (ramp or tiedown)
4.Hangars available for based or transient aircraft
5.Aircraft charters
6.Aviation accessories
7.Catering
8.Pilot supplies
9.Courtesy transportation
10.Courtesy cars (free for pilots to use in the local area)
11.Pilots lounge / snooze room
12.Public telephone
13.Computerized weather
14.Restrooms
15.Hotel and Car Rental Assistance

Last edited:
Oshkosh has Uber as of November, 2015. Something to keep in your back pocket for airports near medium/large cities.

I would never buy fuel from them. WAY too expensive! Your best bet is to plan to arrive at Airventure with enough fuel to depart and fuel up elsewhere!

Oshkosh

Out the front door at Basler, about 4000' west on 20th street is the Hilton Garden. Next door is then Charcoal Pit, numerous other restaurants in that area.
Even this tired old man with a bad hip can walk 3/4 of a mile.
In many cases FBO's have only one courtesy car and sometimes don't have the staffing to drive someone into town.

Sorry you had a bad experience... I've visited OSH numerous times during the "offseason" and have never had any trouble getting shuttled over to the museum or to grab a bite to eat. The staff at Basler have always been very friendly and accommodating to us.

Their fuel prices also seem to be very much on par with (if not below) all of the controlled airports in the area. It's pretty rare to find ultra-cheap fuel at large airports. Certainly if you're willing to fly the extra mile to swing by somewhere else to save a few bucks on gas though, that is by all means an option.

Anyway... I understand the frustration of feeling stuck if you were planning on getting a ride or a courtesy car, but a call ahead typically helps mitigate the risk of this happening. Like Jim said too, it's only a short walk over to a number of restaurants in the area anyway.

You could put your experience on Airnav in the comments section, so the wider market (and Basler's ownership) can see.

Who knows; maybe the person working the desk had loaned their courtesy car to a friend & Basler's ownership didn't know about it.

Charlie

Disappointing I'm sure, but maybe it was loaned out as others have said.

I'd have a hard time knocking a place simply because they didn't provide me a free car to use.

EAA

You could also walk over to the Weeks hangar and check around for a ride. Good people there and I'm sure they would help out!! Just West of Basler.

My RV-6A was there recently. No real issues.

They fueled quickly (yet a tad pricey). Then I had to extend a bit and they put her in a gang hangar for $45/night. Thought that was pricey, but there was a storm rolling through and as I slept at the Hilton I thought it was money well spent.

...After checking in a the front desk we were told that they did not have a courtesy car and did not have anyone that could run us over in the van.

It is exactly what you said - a courtesy. They are not required to have one. I realize that it sucks when you get let down, but as others have said, this isn't a good reason to put them down. Maybe is was already out, maybe they had it and it broke down... who knows.

My suggestion for anyone who wants a courtesy car is to call the FBO first. That way you are not only sure that they have one, they can usually tell you if its available.

Basler

Steve Wittman moved to Oshkosh in 1931 and started Wittman Flying Service. Warren Basler was a local dairy farmer who learned to fly at Wittman Flying Service. In 1957 Warren bought the FBO from Steve and greatly expanded it. It eventually included Basler Turbo Conversions on the east side of the airport.
Warren Basler died in a midair collision with one of the Turbo DC3's in 1997. I don't know who manages the company now.

Back