What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Gear Install

RViator60

Well Known Member
I'm having trouble installing my main landing gear leg into the lower gear brace. The tolerances are very small where the pieces mate together. I can't move it the final inch and haven't resorted to more persuasion with my rubber mallet. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions?

had to 'encourage' the fit

It has been a couple of years since I installed the landing gear on my 14A.

I did have to encourage the install of the left side more than the right side gear leg into the fuselage fittings. The left side needed a bit of blunt force assistance. I cannot remember now the details of the install other than the fit was tight.

I just did mine and had the same difficulty. Saw some posts here where they ground down the edges a bit to allow fit. I gradually took just a bit off with a grinder being careful not to take too much off. Finally got them wedged in. Still very tight and I don’t think I can get them out again. They really seem to lock up in there even before attaching with the plans hardware.

As I recalled when I installed mine on my RV-10 (yes, not a -14, but probably very similar construction) the beautiful powder coating on the outside also had a little bit on the inside of the landing gear mount. I sanded that out and generously applied Aeroshell. Slid right in.

I had to grind off a bit of “tool mark” from the bending process in manufacturing - I think on the right side.

Whatever you do, add a lot of grease on any metal on metal surface so that there is some hope the parts will come apart in the future if needed.

Carl

Thanks all for you input. I finally got them in after filing down and polishing the gear leg where it meets the lower gear support. Everything was a very tight fit and I doubt I could easily remove the gear again and hope I never need to. I found working the leg fore and aft helped. I also reamed out the bolt holes in the leg and mounting brackets. Had to purchase a set of torque wrench adapters to get to the bolts. Overall, this was bloody challenging, literally.

Back