What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Recommendations - Hotels

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi,

We're planning to attend Oshkosh this year for the first time with another couple by car. Our plan is to attend the Airshow one day with our spouses and then attend the second day solo to visit the vendors and walk the "RV" line for build ideas. The "girls" would like to spend the day shopping.

Any recommendations for "charming" towns with decent Hotels/Pubs to the southeast within an hour drive of Oshkosh would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim,

No real recommendations here as I always stay in the campgrounds, but I would say pickings might be pretty slim this late in the game, especially of the "charming" vairety. You really need to get on this soon. There are some dorm rooms not far away that should still be available. Go to airventure.org, click on "where to stay" under the planning tab. That is a good start.

Also, two days is a pretty short time. You won't see near all of it. Try and find a friend who has been there to show you the ropes--it will double what you can do in a short time. You might consider camper rental also, but much of that depends on the spouses. The camping experience is unlike any other and a big part of the whole experience, at least to many of us. There is actually quite a bit to do in Oshkosh.

Bob

Oshkosh

This is our first year too and also by car. We reserved a room in Green Bay for a very good rate. I guess we will find out if it was a good choice or not. Rates within 20 miles were not in the budget. Either way, we are both very excited.

Collar Communities

You could try searching for hotels in Fox Cities communities other than Appleton, say Kimberly or Kaukauna (Settle Inn?), check a map for others. To the south we stayed in Mayville one year, but it was about an hour drive to OSH.

Wautoma is about 30 miles west of Oshkosh. I stayed at hotels there for 5 Airventures in a row. If you can get a room at the Silvercryst Inn there, it's a really neat place to stay. Great restaurant and bar too. About a 35-40 minute drive into Osh each day. Has a really nice airport too, Y50. We'd fly into Osh each day the weather permitted, and drove the rental car on days that were IMC.

I've stayed at the Appleton Radisson on College and Superior in the past. Lots of stuff to do within walking distance. Its pretty pricey and the rooms are just ok, but there is a lot of things within walking distance. And by "lots of things," I mean lots of pubs.

Nice little Wisconsin Town

Jim we've been staying in West Bend the last few years and its been great. Always less than an hours drive on great roads and none of the long lines and long waits to get into restaurants as in Osh. :eek: They don't have any of the temporary high hotel rates for Osh week either. Plenty on name brand hotels and restaurants. Check it out.

Charming?

The most charming one that comes to mind is Elkhart Lake. It's a bit of a resort town. Road America (race track) is there and there are some cute businesses, b&bs and such.

I have no idea about lodging availability though. You would have to check. If there's racing there when your in town it might be tight. Also, it's just busier due to the season.

I live about an hour and a half from there and it's a popular stop for a day ride for me on the Hog.

Hotel

You might try a private home. We have been staying at a private home for several years. $ 50 a night for two.
The owner makes breakfast and supplies refreshments in the evening.
We get to meet nteresting folks also staying there and no worries about
getting to or from the grounds if needed. We usally take him to dinner one night
to show our appreciation.

Back