What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Boxing / Shipping

BH1166

Well Known Member
Prop Boxing / Shipping Questions

72” wood prop needs to be shipped from GA to Ontario Canada. Looking ideas on how to “box” and best/cheapest method-shipper. Weight/size equals cost, but a busted up prop upon arrival = terrible.

Thanks

Last edited:
This is one of those tradeoff situations. A box that has a high likelyhood of surviving the shipping is heavier and therefore will cost more to make and ship.

Ask the prop maanufacturer how they crate to ship? If it were me, at least 1x6 for the sides and 3/8” ply for the top and bottom, with space for padding.

Shippers can be brutal. I had a 8 ft long piece of 1” hollow shaft shipped to me in a wood crate made of 1” wood and it arrived with the crate broken and the shaft bent.

I had a prop shop send me one of the Hartzell boxes. It was not cheap to ship but then again have you looked at plywood or OSB prices lately?

When I shipped my prop to Hartzel, UPS would not accept my prop box, even though it was the original Hartzel box and in very good shape. Instead, they prepared it, palletized it, and shipped it. Insurance for the prop value drives what they will accept.

72” wood prop needs to be shipped from GA to Ontario Canada. Looking ideas on how to “box” and best/cheapest method-shipper. Weight/size equals cost, but a busted up prop upon arrival = terrible.

Thanks
I'd get them to send you pictures of how they box them when they ship them. Perhaps even send you an empty box with the correct packing foam, etc.

Back