What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1069 side skin to bottom skin opening

nbachert

Well Known Member
Did I miss in the directions how to fill the hole that is created just under the leading edge where the f-1069 side skins are bent up to the bottom skin? If not, how did you guys fill this opening? Thanks,

If you mean the holes pointed to in this picture, then they are for aileron control rods
And fuel lines. They will be covered by the wings.

Attachments

• 12A2D336-FB6C-4A68-95CD-A14278086812.jpg
    12A2D336-FB6C-4A68-95CD-A14278086812.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 206
I think he means this one. Yellow arrow.
I don’t think the fairing covers it so I’m curious too as I haven’t attached wings yet.

4901EAC1-6259-4720-BF28-0146C3D03F67.jpeg

That’s it

Yeah it doesn’t get covered by the wing or the intersection fairing. I put a piece of aluminum tape over them but I’m at a place where I can complete a permanent fix. I’m guessing glass over it, just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something that was actually called out to do. Thanks

Ah okay..

Not sure as I'm in the middle of the finishing kit and those holes are still open right now.

I filled with 3m HS repair filler (a stronger and more structural bondo). scuff the inside well and apply bondo from inside with a generous overlap on skin to create a secure plug. Then shape the outside with sandpaper, blending into the skin surface. You could also use epoxy/flox. If you don't care about the cosemetics, you could fill it with silicone after paint to stop the air intrusion.

Larry

Last edited:
I've seen several RV-10s (including the one built by Van's, shown at OSH) where they just left that open.

Last edited:
Back