What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel System Test

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am building a -9A. It is still in my basement shop on sawhorses. Engine is mounted and plumbed and wired. I have test fitted the wings and they are awaiting the trip to the hanger for final installation. I would like to test my (carb) fuel system for leaks before going to the airport. Can I use a 5 gallon gas can plumbed into the fuel line at the wing root to simulate wing tank pressure and run the electric fuel pump to pressurize the lines up to the carb? Anybody see any problem with this process? It would be easier to fix any leaks now rather than at the hanger with more stuff in the way.

I second Carl's comments. There is absolutely no reason to take that risk. And when you do get your plane to the airport hanger, pull the plane outside before you do the testing.

Fuel Test

I should have been more clear in my description. I would never run this test with fuel inside the house. What I have in mind is getting the fuse up on the gear and then drag it outside for this test. I am looking for the experiences of others who may have done this or something similar.

Other than the safety precautions this is a normal test as well as a flow test to make sure the system will flow enough fuel. Disconnecting the line from the carb and running it into a gas can to measure flow is a standard test. You will get bubbles in the fuel with no pressure on the system so do not be concerned with that.
This is coming from a builder with fuel injection experience not carb but other than pressure differences I don't see the difference.

Back