What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where is best to buy drill bits

I've had some bad luck with ACS bits recently -- they just didn't cut stainless very well; don't know who the original mfgr was. I think Avery sourced their drills from Pan American tool (VAF advertiser); I bought a bunch from them recently and am very happy. Pan American only sells in multiples of 12; great for #30 and #40, not so great for the less used sizes.

Another vote for Pan American. The price and quality are right on and the double margin bits make for a perfect round hole, pretty much reamer quality. They do have a minimum order($50) though so stock up!

Guhring Series 659 from MSC

I recently needed to drill sixty 13/64" holes (.203) through 1/4" 304 SS bars (not aircraft related). A friend who owns a CNC machine shop highly recommended Guhring Series 659 cobalt, TiN coated stubby drill bits. I bought two of those online from MSC INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY and they were fantastic. No pilot hole required and they went through the stainless like a hot knife through butter. (I used my drill press and sprayed soluble oil coolant.) I never needed to use the second bit. If you don't mind paying $12 each (plus shipping), these are probably the best drill bits for stainless you can buy. https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00395962

I've gotten some poor quality drill bits from Cleaveland, excellent drill bits from gen-av-hardware, and good ones from The Yard Store.

Dave

Back