What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avery Axle Jack

apkp777

Well Known Member
Hey all, anyone know I can still find modified axle nuts for the Avery Axle Jack? The jack came with the "modification kit" but I would rather buy the modified nuts. Avery used to offer them.

Hey all, anyone know I can still find modified axle nuts for the Avery Axle Jack? The jack came with the "modification kit" but I would rather buy the modified nuts. Avery used to offer them.

Alot of Avery's stuff went to Cleveland Tools. Not sure if they have it but I'd look there first.

I checked, Cleveland, Brown, FlyBoys, Spruce. Not finding the axle nut. Spruce is selling the jack though.

You might contact Bob Avery, his email has not changed. I thought he was still running the machine shop, but maybe not.

I made mine. Drilled the center, then used a drill press with a stop and a flat end mill bit to remove most of the slot material. It took a long time with a file! The most difficult part to make was the U shaped steel piece. If that comes with the kit, then you are a lot closer. Use the end mill method (or a real mill) to get a nice flat bottom slot the correct depth, then it is easy.

They are nice, but not needed. Properly fitted, the axle nut will install to the same location each time.

With the mains (mine is a 6A) on the ground, remove the axle nut and install the rod for the jack. When you are ready to install the wheel, slide it on the rod, slide the rod in the axle, jack it up and remove the block that you had under the axle. Push the wheel into place and let the jack down. Remove the jack and rod and replace the nut and cotter pin.

They are nice, but not needed. Properly fitted, the axle nut will install to the same location each time.

With the mains (mine is a 6A) on the ground, remove the axle nut and install the rod for the jack. When you are ready to install the wheel, slide it on the rod, slide the rod in the axle, jack it up and remove the block that you had under the axle. Push the wheel into place and let the jack down. Remove the jack and rod and replace the nut and cotter pin.

I was thinking that, but am wondering if I would be able to properly seat the bearing without spinning the wheel. I guess I could mark the hole from which the cotter pin came out.

I too have been looking High and low for the Axle Nuts by Avery for RV Jacking.

If anyone is making them I'd Buy 2 today.
showthumb.php

Last edited:
Back