What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SportAir Workshop advice

I'm looking for some advice on whether to attend the two day RV build workshop at Oshkosh. I am about to purchase a basically completed RV-9 tail kit and get started on the wings. I've built things and worked with my hands all my life but have no experience working with metal. For those who have attended the RV build workshop, was it worth the time and money, or should I just dive in and start on my own. Part of my uncertainty is this is my first trip to Oshkosh and I am a little hesitant to miss two full days of the "big show" with so much to see. Thanks

Yes and Maybe

SportAir workshop is definitely worth it (but they are available at various times and locations during the year). Whether it's worth it to miss two days of the big show is a personal judgment call.

I took the sheet metal class when it was held locally before starting my RV and it was the best time and money spent so far. I think the RV class is very similar and more RV specific as far as techniques used. If you can't find one locally I would give up the 2 days at Oshkosh vs making trial and error mistakes with the kits ($$$$).

Without any question you should. I can't imagine having the confidence to have pounced rivet #1 without having taken the clas . Especially since you're starting on the wing, mistakes are more expensive there.

I thought myself fairly well prepared. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineer, former Navy Machinist Mate, and generally all around handy guy. But if you've never driven rivets and worked with aluminum to aircraft standards, you need to take this class or get equivalent training.

Having worked as a Tech Counselor for two years in the 1/2 day and one 2 day weekend workshop, and given forums at Sun 'n Fun and Golden State Airshow(s) (caveat, more than 3 yrs ago) I will echo the benefit, but qualify it slightly by opining that while you can get great exposure to Aircraft Sheet Metal processes, there simply is not enough time for you to learn how to "build".

Case in point, at the 2 day weekend workshop, the Sunday activity was building a scaled wing/aileron assembly. All students were talented and experienced with hand tools. The fastest completed in 2.75 hrs. During a brief, informal, post-mortem, I asked the other Tech Counselor, in front of 8-10 participating, how long it would take him to complete the project. I held up my hand to stop his reply and whispered in the closest student's ear "30 minutes" he gasped in surprise, only to be joined by the rest (one or two came off their stools) when he said: "About 30 minutes".

Couldn't ditch the opportunity, I grabbed an extra materials kit and, in about 2-3 minutes showed some techniques that convinced them as to speed and impressed them in the ability to significantly improve the quality of the result.

I got my initial exposure from guys that learned the discipline in the WW-2 aircraft factories. There's lots of experienced guys out there, you'd be well advised to seek their counsel. It will save you time, money and enable a superior result.

Onward and upward

mjb

I have a slightly different view

Last year, I specifically attended AirVenture for the purposes of attending the EAA RV building class. I was disappointed. Although the counselors there were skilled and helpful, the class was too large for me personally to get the one on one assistance I felt I needed. So while I learned a little, it was not nearly enough for me.

I did attend the one day Fundamentals class at Synergy in Oregon this year - and I learned more in the first half of the day than in the two days of the EAA class. It was half the price, they provided lunch and I might go again before my fuselage build in September.

I'm sure I'll get pilloried for this - but having now attended two different EAA classes (TIG welding and RV building) - I see the class as more of a profit center for EAA (since the classes are sponsored) - than a real hands-on education for the students. My opinion only.

Last edited:
Mentor

Last year, I specifically attended AirVenture for the purposes of attending the EAA RV building class. I was disappointed. Although the counselors there were skilled and helpful, the class was too large for me personally to get the one on one assistance I felt I needed. So while I learned a little, it was not nearly enough for me.

I did attend the one day Fundamentals class at Synergy in Oregon this year - and I learned more in the first half of the day than in the two days of the EAA class. It was half the price, they provided lunch and I might go again before my fuselage build in September.

I'm sure I'll get pilloried for this - but having now attended two different EAA classes (TIG welding and RV building) - I see the class as more of a profit center for EAA (since the classes are sponsored) - than a real hands-on education for the students. My opinion only.

I agree but never took the Sport Air Workshop. I'm a fan of mentoring. Find a local experienced builer and spend a day one on one. I learned so much from mine and still call for advise.

I agree but never took the Sport Air Workshop. I'm a fan of mentoring. Find a local experienced builer and spend a day one on one. I learned so much from mine and still call for advise.

Good advice if you have a local support network. IMO, the two things that you can do locally are:

1) Get some riveting tutoring, then practice, practice, practice. It is much harder shooting (or bucking) a rivet in a tight little corner than on a piece of flat aluminum or a wide open structure.

2) Visit a local builder and help out for an evening or two. You'll learn a lot.

I purchased a mostly complete RV-4 last summer. I had no building experience, so I started with the SportAir RV class. It was so good I ended up taking the electrical and composites classes too. Best money I have spent as classes have paid for themselves in mistakes avoided alone. Instructors were excellent, and you can contact them with questions after taking the class. Tips on tools you need and don?t need, how to use them correctly, and hands on experience. Also, working with other builders of varying experience levels was helpful too. Can?t recommend SportAir Workshops highly enough.

keijidosha said: "Can?t recommend SportAir Workshops highly enough.[/QUOTE said:
I agree they provide good value for the beginner. But, if you have something you're working on that will fit in your car and you're passing through Stockton, drop me a line. I'm sure I can shift your reference frame! :)

mjb

SportAir Workshops

Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to go ahead and book the two day class at AirVenture. I'll also try to leverage local builders if possible.

Back