What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-200 mags?

billz

Got an email, Brad is accepting deposits ($200 per mag) and planning to start shipping this June (he didn't say what year). Is it real, THIS TIME????

Keeping my fingers crossed.....

I'm usually comfortable being on the bleeding edge of technology, but not this time. I'll circle back at my mag's 500 hr point and see what's doing. Hopefully by then they will have actually matrerialzed and any growing pains worked out.

i believe it is real.

Same here!

I've talking to Brad about these and it sounds like they are ready.

Part of their release delay is in developing a form factor that will plug into the back of any version of the six cylinder engines out there.

There seems to be more variations in their accessory cases than for the four cylinder engines.

They have also learned a lot with the four cylinder version that they had to incorporate into the six cylinder ignitions.

Got an email, Brad is accepting deposits ($200 per mag) and planning to start shipping this June (he didn't say what year). Is it real, THIS TIME????

Not sure if this is an omen or not, but my "deposit request" from Brad is dated "April 1"

...payment was sent however!

I'll also say that after looking at the website, the design has undergone a substantial change from the pictures circulating just a year ago. It has grown in size considerably, it seems.

Last edited:
This new P-mag is supposed to be modular in design.

Their plan is to grow it into a dual ignition unit for those with four cylinder engines with single drive mags.

Two years ago, during Oshkosh, they were "almost ready and will be available soon". Now, still vaporware. Color me skeptic.

Looks sweet. I'll be saving my pennies. As for my evaluation process, I'll be following the service reports from the early adopters. I could care less what year it appeared on the market.

June has come and gone while Oshkosh ends today. Anyone received a six-cylinder P-Mag yet? If not, any explanation heard from the company?

Patience, patience.

I talked to Brad at length about the new E-mags for the IO-540. He made no special promises, but said they are still pushing hard to get them produced and out. The reason he gave, for why it's taking so long, is that their intent is to have them released as certified, to widen the customer market while protecting their intellectual property as much as possible. I don't blame them. It looked to be very promising technology.

Although his original estimate was 2 years ago, he now estimates they will be available within the next year or two. This may be frustrating to many, who are ready to pull the trigger now, but innovation doesn't happen overnight, and it's a difficult problem they are tackling..

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the details are on the hurdles they have been facing? Anybody know?

I had to give up waiting and ended up putting in Slicks with a left retard breaker and Slick Start - works a treat!

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the details are on the hurdles they have been facing? Anybody know?

I spoke with someone at their booth at OSH on Thursday. I walked up with a friendly smile and asked him if there was a prize for the 1,000th person who'd ask when the P200's would be ready to ship. I meant no harm with the somewhat tongue-in-cheek question, and he took it well... I didn't get a prize though ;)

He mentioned it was a software issue that they were still ironing out. Something along the lines of "we're trying to get it to fail in all the ways that it possibly could so you don't get it into some weird state yourself and have it fail." As a software engineer who was involved in avionics myself for almost 10 years, this sounds suspiciously like a last-minute discovery of a serious software problem. But that is total speculation of course.

He also said he expected them to start shipping in August... which of course follows the "current month + 1" paradigm that has been going on for some time now. As many have said here, I'd agree don't hold your breath if you're otherwise ready to fly. Might be smarter to throw on some standard mags and budget it in for an upgrade in a couple years.

In my case, I'm still building and easily 1-2 years away from installing mags, let alone being ready to fly. My thoughts are that *hopefully* they will have been shipping for some time by then, and maybe even have experienced and resolved some issues discovered by the early adopters in the field. The rep seemed to resonate with those thoughts as well.

For what it's worth...

In my case, I'm still building and easily 1-2 years away from installing mags, let alone being ready to fly.

Yup. I'm in the same boat. Hopefully it'll be ready and reliable by the time I'm ready.

Mike,

Sorry, I didn't realize he'd been trying to deliver for so long. He told me the original deadline was 2 years ago, but maybe it was just a quip, like it'll be finished "yesterday." Guess we'll all have to keep waiting, hoping it's done before first flight. If not, make adjustments and move on..

In my case, I'm still building and easily 1-2 years away from installing mags, let alone being ready to fly.

That's exactly the position I was in 2 years ago when they were going to be delivered "by the end of the year" .......

There's a spanking new set of Slicks on offer in the Classified section...... ;)

Back