What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual to electric trim

ka6dan

Well Known Member
I started the 9A project planning to go with manual trim. After fuselage construction I was not all that happy with the manual trim system. With the finishing kit I ordered electric trim kit. Well finally got around to fitting the servo. The trim tab horns I fabricated some years ago don’t work with the limited travel of the servo.

The question is, is there a way to modify the installed horns to work with the electric trim servo, without removing the horns and perhaps pop riveting (cheerymax) replacement horns

will be ordering the parts to build a new trim tab in the am. Good advice!

Last edited:
You could just build an entirely new trim tab. My second attempt at a trim tab will fly, but I'm going to build another because I'm pretty sure I get get it perfect next time :rolleyes:. Third time's a charm!

The correct size cherrymax would probably work, but I would be bothered by never being able to see the formed "shop head" of the pull rivet in this application, especially since the trim tab skin is so thin. I'm a newbie, though, and more experienced minds may disagree...

Back