What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet set

Pukauma

First time post, I am somewhat new. Pilot/builder just starting an RV-10. Love this site, happily paid my dues!

I purchased a rivet set off ebay that I love. It is just the right size for me, and did a great job on my rudder trailing edge.

My problem is that it does not have a shoulder on the shaft so that a spring retainer will hold it in place. I have been manually positioning it, but would love to free up my hand. Being my first post, I hope I have this image correct.

dyssw8.jpg

Any smart builders who can clue me in?

Thanks for any help!

Before Mike chimes in, welcome!

IMHO this is an accident (people or aluminum) waiting to happen. We all like to save money, but most builders will tell you that money spent on the right tool is money well spent.

If you're up in the Bay area (KLVK) and would like a ride in a -10 just let me know.

Bob

Before Mike chimes in, welcome!

IMHO this is an accident (people or aluminum) waiting to happen. We all like to save money, but most builders will tell you that money spent on the right tool is money well spent.

If you're up in the Bay area (KLVK) and would like a ride in a -10 just let me know.

Bob

Welcome Cliff.
I agree. Ditch it and buy a 1" or bigger mushroom swivel set with rubber ring. It's very forgiving of slightly off perpendicular.

Welcome to VAF.

I had a similar issue. I have a large mushroom set with a rubber ring that works great, but the regular quick-release and "beehive" retaining springs that came with my rivet gun set wouldn't work with it. I fought it for a while, but too may times the darn thing dropped out of the rivet gun and I ended up chasing it across the bench or across the floor or out from under the bench.

Don't put up with half-working tools. It doesn't matter if it was cheap or not, if it's not right it's not right. If there's no provision for a retaining spring, replace it with something that will work for you (though you might try duct tape first). You've got a LONG way to go, there is just no reason to fight your tools along the way.

In my case I found a different spring that attaches to the set and works great, so win-win. You may not be so lucky. If not, my suggestion would be to get a set that works for you and move on.

Convinced me

Okay, guys. You have convinced me.

I promise to ditch the mushroom set, and get a new one. Not the first $10 I have spent so far on my plane project. Not worth the potential pitfills as politely explained.

I appreciate the advice given, and unlike my children and grandchildren, will take it to heart. (hope none of them read this).

And Bob, if I am in the SF area I will MAKE SURE and ring you up for a ride in your RV-10. I appreciate the kind offer.

-Cliff

I have only a minor addition to the opinions above. The swiveling rivet sets are great. But in the specific case you mention above, riveted trailing edge, I've found that a non swiveling head is much easier to use. I bought one specifically for that. For those few cases, the set you have could work fine with the addition of some wide masking tape wrapped around the set and the gun barrel to hold it in place. I've used that at times that the springs would scratch a surface or interfere.

Keep the "****" one too..

..I agree will the other posters that the swivel mushroom set is the best for riveting, plus it stays in your gun. However, you shouldn't trash this POS one. Keep it, because there are some areas of your build, where you might have to drive a rivet that's up close next to structure. The rubber sleeve of the swivel head can be problematic in those areas. What works best in those spots, ironically, is a non-swivelling flush set. It's only a few rivets probably, but I'd keep this other set just in case. My $0.02.

Back