What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

d-sub pin extraction

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
I got tired of always having trouble extracting d-sub pins from connectors using those lightweight red/white extraction tools. They’re flimsy design always resulted in either the bending or breaking of the white tool end.

I found this extraction tool on Amazon and it really works well! It’s $30 but it’s a steal compared to the number of red/white extraction tools I’ve gone through.

JRready TL08(09990000368) HARTING TE electronics Han-Modular Insertion/removal tools for D-Sub crimp contact

Extraction tool

I rarely have luck with the plastic-ended extraction tool. I buy the ones with metal ends. Saying that I found some mis-pins on my latest build and I just cut the wire, remove the pin and repinned the wire. This is what service loops are for.

This is what service loops are for.

Unfortunately my panel doesn’t have “service loops!

The red/white extraction tools I referred to are the aluminum/copper extraction tool often sold by avionics shops. The tool I discussed above is stainless steel and much, much stronger. It’s also easier to insert.

Last edited:
I scrapped 3 red/white tools trying to remove 1 wire from a GRT EIS harness. I ended up cutting the wire 4 inch long. :-D

Did some wiring work this week as part of my CI. Rewired a D9 and a D15. Used the GREEN/WHITE metal extraction tool with no problems.

Green/White question for Kieth

I bought the green/white tool from Steinair for hight density pins. They said they were marginal. At my skill level they are useless. Is there a high density tool that works ?

Are you trying to pull the wire out after inserting the extractor, or push it in once you've inserted the extractor?

I've always found they come out easier if you push them in first (use a paper clip for the females)

Ed answer

Per Stien’s video, I push the tool in and pull on the wire. It works on red and white and not once on green/white. Ended up cutting wires and order new db27 connector for GEA 24 😒

I agree with Chris on the Daniels tweezer extractors. Very expensive, but you buy them once and they are so much easier to use. It will put a smile on your face the first time you use a tweezer extractor!

Daniels DRK145 for low density size 20 contacts

Daniels DRK95-22MB for high density size 22 contacts

Steve

Unfortunately my panel (built several years ago by a VAF advertiser) doesn’t have “service loops!

Based on a PM it appears I need to clarify my above statement.

It’s correct the people that built my panel did not provide “service loops” but that doesn’t mean the panel was poorly built! It actually is a very well designed and constructed panel - it just doesn’t have service loops in the wiring which would have made somethings a lot easier to either upgrade or modify. I’m sorry if some people interpreted this wrong.

The company has actually been very supportive every time I’ve needed help even though I’m not the original client but the second owner. Hopefully who ever reads this thread will take what I meant to imply and that is the importance of ensuring service loops are installed when designing or ordering a panel.

Back