What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fastback and aft battery

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I was contemplating an aft battery but now that I’m assembling the fastback it seems like it might be tough to service and access. Can anyone tell me what they know on this? Seems like there might not ever be any reason to go through the aft baggage if there is no battery there?

I purchased a fastback, the builder made the mod (not a purchased kit). Not sure what yours looks like, but with the mod I can sit in the tunnel while working on the battery and other components in the rear. If it was the standard build I'd think it would be several inches shorter and I couldn't sit back there.

In addition to the battery, I go in the back to service the autopilot and rear controls during the conditional.

My -8 has the fastback and a 14g aux. fuselage tank mounted low with baggage space above. With screw-mounted panels, it’s still pretty easy to get back there to inspect things. Battery is in the low saddle part of the forward baggage.

There is so much benefit to putting the battery in the back that it is absolutely worth it, even if difficult to access. But I would think it easier to access with the fastback than with a standard fuselage.

Mine is in the back of a standard fuselage. It's not hard to get to so a fastback would probably be easier. Keep in mind that that modern sealed batteries don't really require service like the old screw top batteries do. You'll likely only need to look at it during your condition inspection, at which point you'll have opened up the back anyway.

Dennis

There is always a reason to crawl back there, once per year. Battery or not.

My RV-8 fastback battery is in the back.

Good info - back it goes.... How did y'all rig up a battery minder lead back there? On my 14 it is secured next to the oil door. Do you put the battery master by the battery or up front still - if up front then would just wire the minder there...

I agree with the consensus of the rear mounted battery in the Fastback. As far as a remote charge set up, I've been very happy with the NOCO battery charger and their "dash mount battery indicator"/charge plug. I wired mine directly to the battery with an in-line toggle switch that stays in the "off" position other than when charging.

Good info - back it goes.... How did y'all rig up a battery minder lead back there? On my 14 it is secured next to the oil door. Do you put the battery master by the battery or up front still - if up front then would just wire the minder there...

I wouldn’t put the master solenoid up front with a rear mounted battery.. that would be a long stretch of unprotected cable with no way to turn it off if it ever got shorted. As for the charger, my hangar neighbor build a little access door on the side that he can reach in. The tender plug is right there.

Master contactor should be within 6" of the battery.

The fastback makes rear battery access easy. If I can work back there, most anybody can. The key is to put the tail up on a good stand so the floor is level.

You'll pull the entire baggage compartment shelf and rear bulkhead for annual inspections and major service. Quick checks are easy if you build an access panel in the shelf.

Battery charging lead runs to a point high in the baggage compartment, just behind the passenger seatback. I rarely use it, maybe once or twice a year if I've had the master on a long time during maintenance. A PC925 fits the standard battery tray when installed on its side, serves the W&B function, doesn't run down cranking the big motor, and adds a lot to electronic ignition duration when the alternator dies.

Attachments

• Baggage Hatch1.JPG
    Baggage Hatch1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Baggage Hatch2.JPG
    Baggage Hatch2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1643 600w.jpg
    IMG_1643 600w.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 124
Back