What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 Message

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
I'm wondering if anyone in this great body of aeronautical knowledge can answer a question for me. My second (lower) Garmin 430 always gives me the message "FLP waypoint locked." I think This message started after I wired the two gps' to accept the "cross fill" function - which the previous owner had not done. Wiring instruction pin setup from the Garmin installation manual was followed and I even talked to Jason at Aerotronics for guidance since they were the folks who built the panel and did the initial wiring per the builder's wishes.

Both gps' work normal and when I load a flight plan in the top G430 and then "crossfill" it to the bottom G430 everything works as advertised except I still get the "FLP waypoint locked" message. Both data cards take Jeppesen updates without any problem so I'm pretty sure the cards are okay.

When I talked to Garmin about this they weren't much help. I guess I got a dumb tech representative because he couldn't give me a reason other that the book message definition. He didn't say whether this was normal but usually messages to me indicate a problem.

Is this message normal? All information is appreciated.

In my experience I have seen this slightly annoying message coming out of G430/530 and also G1000 units. In those cases it was caused by a waypoint in a saved flight plan that had been since deleted or changed in the aviation database. The message itself is decieving - why not just say the WP cant be found? Anyway, the solution for me has been to delete all saved flight plans, because you dont know which one is causing the message. Just get rid of them all, both units, and start over.

Thanks

John,
Thanks for your insights. I will clear all stored flight plans (there's only two) and user way points (someone else suggested this) and see if that clears the message. Your right, a more descriptive message alert would be better.

From the pilot's guide:

FPL waypoint is locked ? At least one flight plan (FPL)
waypoint is locked because the waypoint has been removed
from the current NavData? card (database change), the data
card is missing, or the data card has failed.

Back