What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaning windshield that has paint overspray

Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
Overspray on plexi

Anyone know if there is a method to remove a bit of paint overspray on plexi that has been on for a few years? That is, without screwing up the plexi?

Search revealed nada...

I've used mineral spirits (varsol, etc.) successfully in the past, but try it on an inconspicuous area or scrap to be sure.

Novus

Love my Nuvus plexi polish system, taking off overspray myself right now. The #3 will definitely take it off, maybe even #2. Then finish with the polish. It's wipe on, wipe off easy.

Dwight

Last edited:
I have a little paint overspray and 3M spray adhesive on my windshield. What is the best product to use to remove it without damaging the windshield.

I know I am probably going to get shot down for saying this, but I used acetone to clean off sticky stuff. Naturally, I tested on a piece of scrap first and found no adverse effects. So I used some to remove the residue and then immediately finished the area with some plexiglass polish.

It's not something I would use routinely but it seems to work. I know there are all sorts of horror stories about using acetone or MEK anywhere near perspex. Perhaps the current VANS product is something more resilient.....

I have a little paint overspray and 3M spray adhesive on my windshield. What is the best product to use to remove it without damaging the windshield.

Per Geoff's recommendation I used PPG DT-870 to remove the Lord adhesive. It worked well. I suspect it will remove the overspray as well.

Bob

Overspray

Pat

I have a bottle of cleaner that I ordered from Aircraft Spruce in the hangar I will give you to see if it works for your adhesive if you want it.

Pat

I have a bottle of cleaner that I ordered from Aircraft Spruce in the hangar I will give you to see if it works for your adhesive if you want it.

I was told/read that Mineral Spirits is the best for cleaning that type of stuff off of plexi. Will not harm or craze the plastic.

It's all on Van's

"Cleaning And Use Of Liquids
For general cleaning use Dawn dishwashing liquid or equivalent and water followed by a clear
water rinse. To prevent water spots, blow dry with compressed air or wipe dry with soft cotton
flannel. Plexus, Sprayaway #848 Industrial Plastic Cleaner, or All Clear can also be used for day
to day cleaning. Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with Mineral spirits, refined
kerosene, white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol. Wash approved solvents off of canopy
with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. It is best to avoid using products that are not specifically
formulated for acrylics on your canopy such as Rain-X or Lemon Pledge."

http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/Acrylic_Canopy_and_Lexan_Window_Hints.pdf

Novus Plexiglass Polish

Do a search on Novus Plastic Polish. It is specially formulated for use on plexiglass. I use Novus #1 to clean my canopy on a regular basis. I have also used #2 Fine Scratch Remover to remove paint over spray and it works like a charm. For heavier scratches, etc., they have a #3.
It's usually available at pilot shops or your local plastic supply shop.
Good luck.

+1 for Novus Plexiglass Polish

I've used Novus Plexiglass Polish #1 and #2 with good results for overspray.

Regards,

While living in CA. I got over spray on my canopy. TAP plastics made a product that worked very well in removing the over spray It was made for that purpose and was not very expensive as I recall. Larry

Back