What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Least painful, easiest DIY paint?

I'm planning to use Stewart Systems water-based paint. Easy to mix and use, and eco-friendly prep products. They have a number of very good how-to videos, and supporting information for hardware and application.

I'm thinking of buying a can of white and testing it out on the inside of my cowl, and if I can get it to stick without making a complete and utter hash of it, getting a couple cans of whatever color, and shooting the whole thing in that color all over, out in the back yard. I can pick off the bugs. Or, just shooting all the fiberglass bits in white and flying naked, and painting it "one day..."

Here's what you do... Get one of the $200 "portable garages" from Harbor freight. Spray in there. Once the paint has been applied, get a friend and carry the parts inside your garage to dry, then paint the next piece. You and a buddy could probably prime and single color paint an entire airplane that way in a weekend. Obviously, use PPE and best painting practices and the like and you can apply a nice coat of paint that way. If you wanna do some sanding and buffing, it can be even nicer...

Oh, but paint a trashcan and your neighbor's utility trailer first (using cheap paint) to get a handle on the process.

Back