What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adapting an EarthX thermal battery box to my RV-7

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all -

I'm planning a switch from the PC680 in my RV-7 to the EarthX ETX-680 and I'd like to use the BB-TH insulated battery box. I've seen a couple of posts that mention modifying the box, can someone who's done this mod provide some more detail on what's required? I'm most interested in knowing how the holes match up, if they do.

Many thanks -

Dave

EarthX Installation RV-7

Hi Dave,

I just swapped out my stock Van's battery box, plus Odyssey PC680. Installed a new EarthX ETX-900 battery with the insulated BB-TH battery case. This case is mirror like finish and looks sharp on the firewall! I do not know how the other EarthX boxes are configured, so you should check for any differences before purchasing.

Comparing the two boxes, the stock box has longer flanges for mounting to the firewall. The EarthX has a series of small holes already present. I was able to swap to different nutplates and use the existing EarthX holes to match the three pre-existing attach points on the plane. Also, the width of the EarthX box was minorly narrower at the flanges. Maybe 0.125". No problem though, as the bottom of this box is not welded together and allows enough flex to align to the firewall holes.

So, not a difficult swap. Install some nutplates and bolt it on! Looks awesome and I will enjoy the weight savings and performance. Plus, the folks at Earth X have been great to work with on all accounts.

Attachments

• batt original.jpg
    batt original.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 201
  • batt box.jpg
    batt box.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 231
  • hardware.jpg
    hardware.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 159
  • batt new.jpg
    batt new.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 247
  • batt flange.jpg
    batt flange.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 222
  • batt holes.jpg
    batt holes.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Wow Sean, that's great information! I had given up on getting anything from the VAF collective so I went ahead and ordered the battery and thermal mounting box. It's good to know that everything works!

Many thanks -

Dave

Last edited:
The EarthX people at Oshkosh told me they have a new battery exactly the same size as the PC680 coming out in a couple of months. They have already received preproduction samples of the new molded cases for evaluation.
I'm holding off replacing my 3.5 yo PC680 until the new EarthX comes out.

Back