What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cot or air mattress?

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I need something light that packs in a small package to carry in the plane for tent camping. The cot I'm looking at is this one. http://www.rei.com/product/846491/therm-a-rest-luxurylite-mesh-cot
It is pretty pricey at $240.00
Another way to go is an air mattress like this one.
http://www.rei.com/product/778152/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-pad
I'm open to suggestions. I used a three dollar pool air mattress at Oshkosh and it was barely better than nothing. Not looking for real cold weather camping just spring and summer outings.
Thanks for your input. My back appreciates it!:D

Last edited:
The air mattress looks like a house branded copy of the "Thermarest" units I used many years ago-------they were really good units.

And, this one is much thicker, so should be pretty comfortable.

My vote is for the air mattress, with a 1/2" thick closed cell foam pad on top of it. If you need to go really light just take the foam pad.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like air matresses anymore for camping. I just don't sleep well on them. I seem to sleep better on a firm surface. So...I am going with inch thick foam bed rolls this year at SNF to see if they are better for me. They certainly weigh a lot less than an airmatress and pump with batts.

I use a cot and a thermarest at OSH. Sleeping on the ground is not something I enjoy anymore.

Big Agnes

I highly recommend the Big Agnes line of sleeping bags, pads and tents. Their self inflating pads are great (hinman) coupled with their sleeping bags that have a built in pad sleeve on the bottom, instead of insulation. You can roll around in your bag, but the pad and bag stay put. Spent many a night in the boundary waters very satisfied with this combo

Www.bigagnes.com. Or try REI.

Air Bed...

...purchased at REI. I purchased a full twin size air bed at REI with both 12V and 110V pumps. They twist-lock into position. I use a thin foam pad underneath a fitted bottom sheet. I use the zip-off down top from my old Warm-Lite sleeping bag. The combination is not confining like a sleeping bag and I sleep like I am in my bed at home.

Yes, I am a wimp camper. The air bed fills in less than one minute when I connect the plug to the accessory plug I installed in the -6A.

LarryT

Go for the cot. Self inflating pads are for young people

Why thank you, for making this 56 year old feel young again :) Well, briefly anyway. I do love my ThermaRest CampRest pad, still.

But it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't buy either until I tried both. Best way to know for sure.

Air mattress!

You can't beat the air mattress. And you can also get small, compact inflator that runs on D cell batterys that will both inflate and deflate mattress so it can be packed up in a minimum of space. Sheets, covers etc at your option, but this can make it just like sleeping at home with little weight or space loss in the airplane.

A cot for me!

The only camping I do is at Oshkosh every 3 or 4 years. I have always slept on either an air mattress or a Thermarest pad. Last year I bought a small aluminum (lightweight) cot that is no more than 6 inches off the tent floor. These old bones and muscles got much better rest on the cot. Also, I discovered I had some storage room under the cot for the usual "stuff" in the tent, like an iPhone, a radio, reading material, etc.

I'm sold on a cot for camping.

Slider or tip up, nose wheel or tail wheel, to prime or not to prime, etc.....it all depends on what you like not what others like. Try both before deciding then pick what feels best for you. I am just as happy rolling up in a pancho liner on a rock as on a foam pad, air mattress, or cot. What is really important here is not what you sleep on but that you have a good cold IPA or three before turning in and upon waking up first thing in the morning you have a hot cup of decent coffee! Personally I am a huge Starbucks Sumatra fan field dressed in a French press.

I think I will spring for the cot. At a little over 3 lbs and a very small stuff sack it will fit in the plane well. Thanks for all the suggestions.

While cots can be very comfortable, if the wx is cold you will need extra bedding under you or else you just can't get warm or stay warm all night and there goes your weight savings.

It depends on how YOU sleep. I know people who use a cot and others an inflatable queen bed. If you're considering a cot, I'd recommend you look at a twin size inflatable bed. They're about 8 inches thick, pretty reasonably priced and fold up nicely.

Personally, I sleep on the ground. Sometimes, if I'm living it up, I'll use a closed cell foam backpacking mattress. For me, the pillow is more important than the mattress. BTW, I'm 56.

This 76 year old, young person would not use an air bed, they are too cold even in Australia, but I love my Thermarest. It should roll up small or even be usable as a cushion on the seats.

I've had both. The air mattress wins hands down if it will hold air. The secret to that is buy a new one now and then. They are relatively inexpensive at Walmart.

Also upgraded to a larger tent a few years back, one I can stand up not have to crawl into one hands and knees. Was a challenge setting it up the first time in a slight wind and not understanding the instructions, but got it done - and then sat down, had a beer and observed the action - airplanes comin' and goin' and lots of airplane people doin' their thing. Nothing like it anywhere on the planet.

Welcome to OSH:)

air mattres

This may be a little late, but I live in Alaska and I fly a super cub and am building a rv10. I always pack a 72 hour pack, sleeping bag and air matters. I didn't find a good air mattress until about 4 years ago. I will get you the name of it but they are spend about $200. I have gone on a 6-10 day sheep hunt and lots of moose, and caribou hunts about 30 to 45 times a year I use this pad it packed very small because it is made especially for packing so it is lite and packs small about 3" by 8" . I have not once had to wake up in the middle of the night and blow it up and it is about 4 years old.
They are yellow and grey on the gotten, pluses they are big. I am 6' tale and it is longer then me. Get that and a jet boil and pack a Cole of mountain houses.

Back