What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LODA list

Interesting that Mike Seagar isn't on the list. Who owns the LODA? The ac owner or the instructor? Since he uses some of the factory's ac, are there different rules?

The LODA is "owned" by the aircraft owner, since it is a waiver of the rule not allowing E-AB aircraft to be used for compensation or hire.

LODA List

The name of the individual on the LODA issued is for the "Responsible Person", or in plain language, the person who says they will ensure the terms specified in the LODA are followed. Keep in mind the LODA allows the AIRPLANE to be compensated for, and not the instructor...the instructor is already allowed to receive compensation for instructing. Thus, the name on the LODA is not necessarily the instructor, though this is typically the case.

As for the reasons certain folks are or are not on the list? "Modern" technology (like computer record keeping in the gov sector...insert laughter) now allows this to be tracked much better. Those whose LODAs were issued via pen and paper, or weren't entered into the system won't show up on the list. It's an initial list. So, if you've got a LODA and you want on the list, send a copy of the paperwork off to EAA or FAA and the folks will make it happen, I'm sure.

Question for those who care...
What would you consider necessary for one to be a "qualified" instructor in RVs (time, certificates,etc.)?

The list is not up-to-date. I recognize some folks who no longer own the airplane(s) listed.

An LODA (letter of deviation authority) authorizes someone to deviate from the requirements of an aircrafts operating limitations. The LODA stipulates what deviation is allowed.

All of Van's Aircraft's prototype / demonstrators have dual certification in the Experimental - Market Survey / Crew Training categories.

These two categories actually have provisions allowing for customer and employee training. No LODA required.

The list is not up-to-date. I recognize some folks who no longer own the airplane(s) listed.

I would have to look at my LODA to be sure, but I think LODA owners are supposed to notify the FAA when they are no longer the owner of the airplane or are no longer going to exercise the privileges of the LODA. Mine does not have an expiration date, so the FAA is not going to be aware when I sell the airplane or quit providing the training unless I tell them. My guess is that this rarely gets done when someone sells an airplane or quits providing transition training.

(actually the right hand of the FAA (aircraft registration) will be aware when I sell my airplane, but I doubt if they pass that info on to their left hand (FSDO).:D)

I'm working with Mark (posted above) on EAA's list to keep it current. As we get updated info, it will be updated. I'll have change requests put in tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

Dave, Pierre,

Last month (on the anniversary date of my LODA) I got a call from the FSDO, asking if there had been any changes to my "training fleet" (!). So some FSDOs do check.

And yes, I think the paperwork says to notify them of any changes.

Bob

Yes, Mark has the technically correct definition: the LODA holder is the person who has assumed the responsibility for seeing that its provisions are followed. My FSDO asked me to list the instructors (could be plural) who would be operating the aircraft under the LODA provisions, but the actual holder need not be any of them.

As to the question of what qualifications an instructor should have, I suspect that, as usual, that will be dictated by the insurance companies, at least as a minimum.

Back